European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blasmere

For all this talk of City and financial doping which may be right, their net spend is less than the likes of Chelsea and United and a couple of others too. They have bought smartly and Guardiola is up there with the best managers the game has seen.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

clonian

Quote from: blasmere on May 18, 2023, 08:54:41 AM
For all this talk of City and financial doping which may be right, their net spend is less than the likes of Chelsea and United and a couple of others too. They have bought smartly and Guardiola is up there with the best managers the game has seen.
Their reported spend is complete crap though, that's part of the charges that were placed against them. Undeclared fees, wages paid through other streams - what you see on paper means nothing. Great team no doubt but we have no idea if they spent well or not.

One journalist noted they haven't lost a game since the 115 charges were made against them.

bennydorano

A bit like the Dubs the claims will ease off once Pep goes and this particular team comes back to the field. Good management from top to bottom has been the real reason they are where they currently are. United & Chelsea are 2 brutal examples of spending money with no real plan and the wrong people in charge.

blasmere

Quote from: clonian on May 18, 2023, 09:35:30 AM
Their reported spend is complete crap though, that's part of the charges that were placed against them. Undeclared fees, wages paid through other streams - what you see on paper means nothing. Great team no doubt but we have no idea if they spent well or not.

One journalist noted they haven't lost a game since the 115 charges were made against them.

I'm not talking about their reported spend, I'm referring to their net spend on transfers which is what it is. How they pay for the transfers, wages and getting money into the club via sponsorships and other means is another matter.

As the poster above noted they are well managed on the pitch and in terms of their transfer strategy in buying the right players more often than not unlike United and Chelsea.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

seafoid

If he beats Inter it will still have taken him 12 years to regain the Champions League. He went through a long Clann na nGael phase with Man City.
Ancelotti was Everton manager and won the CL much faster afterwards.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

clonian

Quote from: blasmere on May 18, 2023, 10:00:38 AM

I'm not talking about their reported spend, I'm referring to their net spend on transfers which is what it is. How they pay for the transfers, wages and getting money into the club via sponsorships and other means is another matter.

As the poster above noted they are well managed on the pitch and in terms of their transfer strategy in buying the right players more often than not unlike United and Chelsea.

The point is the reported spend is under investigation as well as where the revenue stream is coming from.

They have been really well run no doubt, and Chelsea and United are examples of how it doesn't matter how much money is spent if you don't have a plan in place. City built a club to be successful and it was only a matter of time before they won the Champions League. I can't see anything but a treble for them now.

Baile Brigín 2

Almost as if there is an allegation their books are cooked

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: blasmere on May 18, 2023, 10:00:38 AM

Is what it is says who though?

Look-Up!

City are a brilliant team and a joy to watch how they play the game. Technically top class, ball control, vision and passing on another level. Brave with and without the ball, always try and do the right thing as a team. Obviously in sport anything can happen but it would be a brave man to bet against the treble.

All this talk of financial doping or cooking the books, fair enough from a puritanical POV, but it's a bit rich coming from some quarters. They're no more doped than the other big European clubs or top clubs in PL. Wasn't so long ago I seem to remember shareholders of a certain club having serious reservations about how the club did its business. Think there were some dodgy looking top transfers where the agent was, ahem, an acquaintance of the manager. They ended up having their homes vandalised and selling up.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 18, 2023, 07:58:23 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 17, 2023, 10:20:34 PM
Real Madrid weren't in the best of form coming into this tie and were hoping the return of Modric would spark them into life again but I think that was the worst I've ever seen Modric play, age has finally caught up with him. The flattering to deceive looks to be finally over by City in the competition. Pep Guardiola is overdue a Champions league title also (12 years waiting)  record win in the Champions league or European cup final is 4-0, won't be any surprise if Man City match or better that score line against Inter.

They , and tbh pep in particular with team selection, have made some awful balls ups in the CL. They may win easily but still a part of me thinks they could freeze though. I hope they win it tbh as they are a phenomenal team and I don't really like inter.
Tends to over think things at times,  Pep took on the Bayern Munich gig in 2013 when they were defending Champions and in his three seasons with them they didn't reach the final.  He's been trying to win the Champions league with City since the 2016/17 season but made their exits to Monaco,Liverpool,Spurs,Lyon,Chelsea and last season Real Madrid (City was favourites to win the Champions league in a lot of those seasons).  Losing to Inter would probably top the lot for unexpected loss as Inter three years ago had arguably a better side and weren't good enough to win the Europa league final and their current team is made up of plenty of Ex Premier league players that probably wouldn't make the City bench.

seafoid

The Inter squad is worth around half of Man City's
But it's a final and they are Italian.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/inter-mailand/startseite/verein/46
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Roma into the Europa league final. 1-0 up after the 1st leg and Jose Mourinho did what he does best by parking the bus tonight.

David Moyes West Ham into the 3rd tier Conference league final, Fiorentina they'll play.

And after extra time Sevilla into their 7th UEFA Cup/ Europa League final. Six wins from six finals so far.

bennydorano

Dortmund going to do their regular choke job by the looks of it, 1.0 down, missed a penalty. In the build up to the penalty the commentator was saying it was Heller's1st penalty for Dortmund, like why would u let him near it?

As I was typing Mainz scored, 2.0 up with only 25min gone. Don't see an Aguero moment here

Captain Obvious

Quote from: bennydorano on May 27, 2023, 02:57:10 PM
Dortmund going to do their regular choke job by the looks of it, 1.0 down, missed a penalty. In the build up to the penalty the commentator was saying it was Heller's1st penalty for Dortmund, like why would u let him near it?

As I was typing Mainz scored, 2.0 up with only 25min gone. Don't see an Aguero moment here

Will be Bayern Munich's lowest title winning points total for 20 plus years if they win this afternoon.