Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: The Iceman on February 08, 2010, 06:28:06 PM
I don't have a problem with gay people.  I have a problem if a gay person is outwardly over the top flamboyantly gay and wants everyone to know.  Your business is your business so keep it that way.
I don't have a problem with other races but if a black man takes my spot in the car park I'll still be pissed off and racist thoughts may automatically spring to mind.

My biggest fear is that we become so politically correct that we are not allowed to think for ourselves anymore.

Would you be thinking that he took your spot because he is black, or because inherently - people suck?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on February 08, 2010, 07:07:07 PM
Other than the Henry incident i have seen little or no anti-French activity or commentary.

Some taxidrivers let themselves down wrt to foreigners but mostly Ireland is ok. I think it is popular to run ourselves down in some way or other.

I found it common place among the Irish backpacking around Australia, maybe that was them hanging around with the Brits too much or living in a colony of the Empire I don't know. It used to make me sick, last Bastille Day in an Australian nightclub in the middle of a group of Irish & Brits slagging off the French I grabbed a French tri-colour from a group of French and proceeded to hoist it up on the roof to cheers from the French. Drunken Irishman in Australia  ;D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

no mo do yakamo

What would be the pc position on not liking a black homosexual?
It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: no mo do yakamo on February 08, 2010, 07:20:34 PM
What would be the pc position on not liking a black homosexual?

I think Tracy Chapman was great.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

The Iceman

Quote from: Puckoon on February 08, 2010, 07:14:46 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 08, 2010, 06:28:06 PM
I don't have a problem with gay people.  I have a problem if a gay person is outwardly over the top flamboyantly gay and wants everyone to know.  Your business is your business so keep it that way.
I don't have a problem with other races but if a black man takes my spot in the car park I'll still be pissed off and racist thoughts may automatically spring to mind.

My biggest fear is that we become so politically correct that we are not allowed to think for ourselves anymore.

Would you be thinking that he took your spot because he is black, or because inherently - people suck?

I only used that reference puck to demonstrate that I would have automatic racist thoughts from time to time.  Though I think we all do.
If I am reading properly between the lines I am in agreement with you that people suck.  The human race is on the slide BIG TIME.

That doesn't mean there are not a few diamonds in the rough - they are just harder to find than they used to be.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

ludermor

Quote from: The Iceman on February 08, 2010, 07:45:13 PM
If I am reading properly between the lines I am in agreement with you that people suck.  The human race is on the slide BIG TIME.

That doesn't mean there are not a few diamonds in the rough - they are just harder to find than they used to be.
Ok ok you dont like gays! You like men who dont suck!

Zapatista

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 08, 2010, 06:53:37 PM
I hate the Franco phobia that I see in Ireland (long before Thierry Henry & that is not reason enough for it either). The Irish are watching too much British bigotry towards the French on British TV and also American anti-French feeling (just because the French stand up to them and their illegal wars) in American film.

I have a dislike for colonial powers in general.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Zapatista on February 08, 2010, 09:02:52 PM
I hate the Franco phobia that I see in Ireland (long before Thierry Henry & that is not reason enough for it either). The Irish are watching too much British bigotry towards the French on British TV and also American anti-French feeling (just because the French stand up to them and their illegal wars) in American film.

Like the Ulstermen who colonised and conquered Scotland, or the Leinstermen who occupied the
South Coast of Wales or attempted colonies in the Isle of Man & Anglesey. Or the Scottish (Colonial Gaels) of Irish decent who had failed to conquer the Northumbrian Kingdom. Or much later the Ulster Gaels who tried to sell the High-Kingship to the Bruces and the men of Connacht had to teach them Ireland's not for sale.

I also forgot the Kingdom of Dublin (our Viking ancestors), the Kingdom of Dublin was a Kingdom long before Denmark, Norway or Sweden, the Kingdom of Dublin (which had many mixed Gael & Gall as well as native allies, was not a benevolent power either)

Of course there is the King of Leinster inviting Strongbow into Ireland and giving his daughter and his Kingdom to a Welsh-Norman lord.

Or the servents of the Kingdom of Ireland and later the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland/Northern Ireland who helped colonise the world, we both the loyal and disloyal happy to oblige.

Or the Independent colonisation of Monserette by Irishmen.

Or the Irish that served France, Spain, Portugal, the Papel States, the United States of America, the Confederate States of America, Australia, Mexico, Austria-Hungarian Empire, the Boars, Rhodesia, South Africa etc. in their World Colonisation.

mylestheslasher

I have a problem with mongoloid soccer supporters blathering about French Frog Bastards without having a clue about history or colonial powers, but just cos 1 french man handled the ball.

Irish rascism is odd, I hear people all the time giving out about these polish hoors robbing jobs and scamming the dole (like no irishman would ever do that!), all the foreigners are scum except the one you actually work with - he is a sound fella. Thats they type of rascism I hear all the time.

ballinaman

Can't get over the amount of racism in Ireland, like some of my best friends are......racists :P
or
If there is one thing i hate more than racism, it's English people. :D

RealSpiritof98

Every sunday afternoon I have this strange thought, after the saturday night pints have finally settled and the spuds are tucked away i like to give ole armitage shanks a right pounding, to put it simply, I love a good 'Ian Wright'!, but i always wondered, does this make me gay?

Zapatista

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on February 08, 2010, 09:45:54 PM
Every sunday afternoon I have this strange thought, after the saturday night pints have finally settled and the spuds are tucked away i like to give ole armitage shanks a right pounding, to put it simply, I love a good 'Ian Wright'!, but i always wondered, does this make me gay?

I read somewhere it does.

stephenite

The French are proving themselves to be mighty intolerant and racist this last few months

Zapatista

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 08, 2010, 09:15:21 PM

Like the Ulstermen who colonised and conquered Scotland, or the Leinstermen who occupied the
South Coast of Wales or attempted colonies in the Isle of Man & Anglesey. Or the Scottish (Colonial Gaels) of Irish decent who had failed to conquer the Northumbrian Kingdom. Or much later the Ulster Gaels who tried to sell the High-Kingship to the Bruces and the men of Connacht had to teach them Ireland's not for sale.

I also forgot the Kingdom of Dublin (our Viking ancestors), the Kingdom of Dublin was a Kingdom long before Denmark, Norway or Sweden, the Kingdom of Dublin (which had many mixed Gael & Gall as well as native allies, was not a benevolent power either)

Of course there is the King of Leinster inviting Strongbow into Ireland and giving his daughter and his Kingdom to a Welsh-Norman lord.

Or the servents of the Kingdom of Ireland and later the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland/Northern Ireland who helped colonise the world, we both the loyal and disloyal happy to oblige.

Or the Independent colonisation of Monserette by Irishmen.

Or the Irish that served France, Spain, Portugal, the Papel States, the United States of America, the Confederate States of America, Australia, Mexico, Austria-Hungarian Empire, the Boars, Rhodesia, South Africa etc. in their World Colonisation.

DId it take you long to do that? I didn't read it.