Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

First player to win three seprarate grand slams 5 times
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stew

Quote from: Minder on January 29, 2017, 04:34:21 PM
First player to win three seprarate grand slams 5 times

Best ever, wow.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Orior

Commentator: "So, Roger, what are the benefits of living in Switzerland?"

Federer: "Not many, but at least the flag is a big plus"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

That was exhilarating stuff. There was a rally in the last set which was spellbinding. Fed won it, so Rafa aced the next serve. No idea how their legs held up. I ran up the stairs there now and near buckled.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: gallsman on January 28, 2017, 08:04:49 AM
Quote from: stew on January 27, 2017, 09:01:37 PM
Quote from: AhNowRef on January 27, 2017, 06:45:45 PM
Yeah that 2008 final is the best final of any sport Ive ever seen .. unreal .... Both incredible players but I did want Federer to win as I think he plays the game with unparalleled panache  ..  he obviously didnt win but Nadal is class too.. & he's the ultimate athlete & contender..

Always found these 2 far more likable than Djokovic (and more recently Murray .. just because he's so bloody monotonous)

Mon Federer

Nadal has long been said to have taken performance enhancers, nothing has ever been proven but for some reason I cannot fathom I have nevervpulled for him since hearing that.

Federer to have one last day in the sun, fair play to both men, brilliant achievement.

Tennis has long been known to have a huge problem with drugs. The only thing I'd say is that if Nadal is/was on them, you can bet everybody else was too. Djokovic came through at the beginning of '08 but then developed a reputation for quitting and not being able to hack the biggest matches either physically or mentally. Suddenly, in '11 everything changed and he became unbeatable, even outlasting Nadal. I'm sure the vegan diet was entirely responsible for that...

What a game - this was one to show the kids what the sport of Tennis is about - we may not see such greats in a final again for another generation. Federer is the best I have seen, and I am going back to McEnroe, Edberg, Sampras, Agassi.

On the drugs issue mentioned above - I was going to post earlier that I found it interesting that since Federer called for the cheats to be outed (after Sharapova was banned), that Djokovic's form has gone to shite. At the time I thought this was a direct slant from Federer to Djokovic and, until today, Nadal. You just know that Murray is on nothing as he is so inconsistent and looks completely wrecked after any match he plays (maybe he is on the spliffs).

The reverence that Federer showed today when talking about Nadal makes me think that his demand on outing cheats was solely aimed at Djokovic, who, imo, is as guilty as a puppy sitting beside a pile of poo.

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

AhNowRef

Wow .. what a match  :o

When Nadal went 2 up in the final set I was thinking, ah feck here we go again, Nadals mental strength was gonna win the day again .... but no, Federer kept his composure and totally outplayed him .. even winning most of the long rallies which he never seemed to be able to do against Nadal in the past.... He just played brilliantly, his mind held up and his serve was lethal too ....

Delighted he won .. 2 great players but Federer No1 for sure .. 

Hardy

Inspirational. I went out yesterday afternoon like a kid all fired up and ready to play like Roger. And sure enough I did. Roger Moore is 89.

AhNowRef

I have to say I thought Nadals call for hawkeye at the very end was a bit sh1tty ... sort of took the moment away from Federer a wee bit  :-\

a blind man could see it was in ...

gallsman

Quote from: AhNowRef on January 30, 2017, 12:39:44 PM
I have to say I thought Nadals call for hawkeye at the very end was a bit sh1tty ... sort of took the moment away from Federer a wee bit  :-\

You could play that game about Ger taking a medical timeout before the 5th.

AhNowRef

Quote from: gallsman on January 30, 2017, 01:12:51 PM
Quote from: AhNowRef on January 30, 2017, 12:39:44 PM

You could play that game about Ger taking a medical timeout before the 5th.

Ah no i dont think so .. they all take treatment breaks .. The Hawkeye call never looked out and sorta spoiled his moment ... No big deal though in the grand scheme of things..

Orior

Quote from: Hardy on January 30, 2017, 12:38:44 PM
Inspirational. I went out yesterday afternoon like a kid all fired up and ready to play like Roger. And sure enough I did. Roger Moore is 89.

Lol. So Double Oh is only a few years older than yourself?

AZOffaly

Don't watch much tennis any more, actually not since the days of my youth trying to copy Becker, Lendl and the rest in the tarmac court in Ferbane. For approximately 3 weeks, and then it was onto Pitch and Putt in time for the golf.

I watched the last few games there, and it was very enjoyable, but come here, has Nadal always grunted like lad suffering from eating too much 'binding' stuff, or is that new? Jaysus it's very hard to listen to. I remember your one Seles started that racket (no pun intended) back in the day, and it was sneered at, but is it common in Men's tennis now?

Orior

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 30, 2017, 03:26:36 PM
Don't watch much tennis any more, actually not since the days of my youth trying to copy Becker, Lendl and the rest in the tarmac court in Ferbane. For approximately 3 weeks, and then it was onto Pitch and Putt in time for the golf.

I watched the last few games there, and it was very enjoyable, but come here, has Nadal always grunted like lad suffering from eating too much 'binding' stuff, or is that new? Jaysus it's very hard to listen to. I remember your one Seles started that racket (no pun intended) back in the day, and it was sneered at, but is it common in Men's tennis now?

Murray is at it as well. Must be a psychological aspect to it.

Asal Mor

Kimmage making the good point in the indo today that Nadal, Serena and Venus who were all outed in the Fancy Bears TUE lists have faced hardly any negative press unlike Wiggins whose legacy has been ruined.

Orior

I see that Caroline Wasniaki has made it through to the quarter final of the tournament in Indian Wells. Which is good because all the other female competitors are dogs.