The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 20, 2016, 08:14:37 PM
brillant week of tennis by murray, well deserved win and well deserved to end the year as number 1.

+1
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

No wides

Quote from: Estimator on November 20, 2016, 08:53:43 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 09, 2016, 04:22:12 PM
Quote from: No wides on November 09, 2016, 03:30:35 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 09, 2016, 02:41:56 PM
Quote from: No wides on November 09, 2016, 01:52:54 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 09, 2016, 01:47:28 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 09, 2016, 12:42:07 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on November 09, 2016, 11:57:56 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 09, 2016, 09:34:26 AM
Each of them have won all four grand slams too. Murray has won two of them.

He's a great player but saying he's just behind that lot is ridiculous. In their primes, they battered him for fun.
Hardly fair to compare Murray to them in their primes when Roger was in his prime in 06/07 Murray was just a fresh faced teenager, similarly during Nadals prime in 08 and 10. The one person he was really competing with was Djockovic as they are the same age. Djockovic benefitted from getting that early major on the board in Aus Open 2008. Even during Novaks prime in 2011-2015 Murray looked like the only one who could compete with him. And now that Murray is in his prime he would batter at least Federer and Nadal for fun.

Maybe not Federer but Nadal/Djokovic/Murray are the same age . . . Nadal has 14 Slams and Djokovic 12!

Murray has a long way to go to be compared in the same league!!

Exactly, Murray is the same age as Nadal and Djokovic.  Murray would probably not even have his grandslams if Nadal hadn't had the injuries he has. Djokovic has a great record v Murray as well, especially in Grand Slams and I would put my money on Djokovic winning the upcoming ATP World Tour Finals again and getting back to number 1.

What a bullshit statement made with no prove and just a dislike for the brit I assume?

I actually like Murray,but going by Nadal's grand slam record before injury hit him I would say that he would have encountered Murray in one of his 3 grand slams wins and more than likely have won.  But due to injury Nadal has missed a lot of tournaments and even the dlams he has been involved in have seen only a shell of the former Nadal.

Murray won US Open 2012, runner up in Australian Open 2013, won Wimbledon 2013 in same years Nadal won French Open 2012 / 2013, won US open 2013 and runner up Australian Open 2012, bet loads wish they had that injury!
Exactly Some rubbish spouted on here, federer nadal and Djokovic all faced easier opponents when they won the first slam, that is a huge break to get which Murray never had that luxury, also Murray always had the weight of a nation on his shoulders and Fred Perry legacy to break which is harder especially with the English media, Murray has a great record against federer 11-14 also beat him in 2012 Olympics final and Djokovic, remember too federer has huge crowd support which helps and gives an advantage, his record against nadal and Djokovic not as good, remember too Murray had operation in 2013 and after that rehab to come to this level is testamount to Murray, Murray has a tougher draw than Novak in the atp finals but should go very close and I expect him to break his Australian hoodoo in January, 3 slams , 2 golds singles , 1 Davis cup is an unreal achievement, and should be celebrated, I reckon he will win 2 slams next year and win at least 8 like Lendl

I would doubt the assumption that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all faced easier opponents in their first slam. I'd say that when they won their first they would have been a lower seed than Murray when he won his first. There isn't a massive age gap between RN, ND and AM. The first two have 26 slams between them and Murray has the same amount as Wawrinka. It will be Grand Slams that they are ultimately judged on.

Murray could push on from here and dominate for the next couple of years. But he needs to start adding to his Grand Slam total, and there will be plenty out there aiming to shoot him down. Murray put a serious effort in the last couple of months to get the number one spot. Not sure if that'll impact upon him at the beginning of next year.

Of course he'll win the big one... SPOTY

Great post!!! If he was Irish you would be creaming yourself. He has done amazing fair dues.

Minder

According to Paul Hayward of the Telegraph, Andy Murray, in talking about RF, RD & NS, has "seen them all off"

:-[
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

muppet

Regarding SPOTY, if Hamilton somehow ends up World Champion he could be worth a flutter.

MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on November 20, 2016, 10:36:02 PM
According to Paul Hayward of the Telegraph, Andy Murray, in talking about RF, RD & NS, has "seen them all off"

:-[
ND?  ;)

Estimator

Quote from: muppet on November 20, 2016, 10:45:57 PM
Regarding SPOTY, if Hamilton somehow ends up World Champion he could be worth a flutter.

Can't see Hamilton winning it. When he won in 2014, it was a very quiet year for sporting success. No Olympics or World Championships in Athletics, poor performances in the World Cup for England. No stand out boxer. Sure McIlroy was 2nd and Pavey 3rd in the vote.

Murray has it wrapped up. His best year in tennis. The Olympians might challenge, but Murray should win.
Ulster League Champions 2009

nrico2006

Murray has deservedly finished the year as number 1, and given the currewnt state of play there is really only Djokovic as a mjor obstacle in his quest to win more majors.  He hasn't 'saw off' Federer or Nadal, both these players were a level above Murray but one has had too many birthdays while the other has been ruined by injury.  Djokovic has been on some run the past few years and at his best is better than Murray, but on recent form he is a pale shadown of himself while Murray is in the form of his life.  Djokovic will get out of this slump though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: bennydorano on November 20, 2016, 08:30:35 PM
Nadal's place in the pantheon of greats should be asterisked as well. Allegedly THE major beneficiary of the destroying of Operation Puerto's bloodbags.

Aren't you the same guy who refuses to consider anything you consider a doping-related slight against cycling in general and Team Sky in particular?!

No wides

Quote from: gallsman on November 21, 2016, 10:16:07 AM
Nadal's place in the pantheon of greats should be asterisked as well. Allegedly THE major beneficiary of the destroying of Operation Puerto's bloodbags.

Aren't you the same guy who refuses to consider anything you consider a doping-related slight against cycling in general and Team Sky in particular?!

Would google translate give us an insight into what you are trying to say?

gallsman

Quote from: No wides on November 21, 2016, 12:19:48 PM

Probably not for a thick **** like you.

bennydorano

Ill informed rumour and innuendo is the benchmark  standard of doping debate, thought I'd join in.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Estimator on November 20, 2016, 11:13:19 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 20, 2016, 10:45:57 PM

Can't see Hamilton winning it. When he won in 2014, it was a very quiet year for sporting success. No Olympics or World Championships in Athletics, poor performances in the World Cup for England. No stand out boxer. Sure McIlroy was 2nd and Pavey 3rd in the vote.

Murray has it wrapped up. His best year in tennis. The Olympians might challenge, but Murray should win.

Outside of Bale, Vardy and Murray, the rest are Olympic medalists! Murray should clean up ... was hoping Carl Frampton would have been given a chance but no.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

stew

Quote from: gallsman on November 21, 2016, 01:13:05 PM
Quote from: No wides on November 21, 2016, 12:19:48 PM

Probably not for a thick **** like you.

Still hating all on all fronts gallbladder? Good man.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

muppet

http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/38379952

Petra Kvitova 'fortunate to be alive' after potentially career-threatening knife attack
MWWSI 2017

No wides

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/38673905

Novak Djokovic: Australian Open champion knocked out by world 117 Denis Istomin!