TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent Orange

Quote from: Canalman on February 08, 2012, 11:35:08 AM
Treme next in line to watch.

Don't bother, nothing happens. The first series is bad, the second even worse.

AFS

Quote from: Agent Orange on February 08, 2012, 07:50:25 PM

I liked it. The show is about the reaction to an event that had already occurred, so there was never going to be a flurry of new activity. Some class music and very strong acting performances.

ONeill

Was anyone following the mockumentary 'Twenty Twelve' on BBC4? Last one on tonight @ 11. I enjoyed it but poor reviews.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on February 08, 2012, 10:42:57 PM
Was anyone following the mockumentary 'Twenty Twelve' on BBC4? Last one on tonight @ 11. I enjoyed it but poor reviews.

Been looking for it but couldn't get it from the start. Was up for a good few nominations at the Comedy awards and has a good cast. I think it would be a good show.

Agent Orange

Quote from: AFS on February 08, 2012, 10:39:20 PM

I liked it. The show is about the reaction to an event that had already occurred, so there was never going to be a flurry of new activity. Some class music and very strong acting performances.

The music is excellent and there are some good characters, but I think its all a bit weak. It is being carried by Bunk Moreland and Lester Freamon, not by Wendell Pierce and Clarke Peters. Pierce's character, Antoine Batiste even uses some of Bunks old lines.
John Goodman had the right idea, he got out after the first series. I'll probably watch the third.

Billys Boots

Anyone tried Netflix yet - is it any good, worth the money?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hound

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 10, 2012, 09:19:29 AM
Anyone tried Netflix yet - is it any good, worth the money?
Just started the first month free option.

There's a lot of stuff on there, but not a whole heap that's getting me excited. I fear I might get through the stuff I want to watch in the first month so not sure whether I'll pay for it. Though I do like the fact I can watch it through the kids' Nintendo Wii.

The content in the US version is supposed to be very good, so maybe its just a question of time before the version over here catches up.

ludermor

Lots of complaints on the amount of data it is using, you really need unlimited broadband to make any use of it.

Canalman

Spot on there Agent Orange. Box Set given back after just two episodes.............. just couldn't see what the fuss was about.
In fairness I was  eyeing up starting season 2 of Breaking Bad so maybe it was a subliminal thing.

Breaking Bad 2 hopefully will be as good as the first.

Archie Mitchell

Few good shows starting on Sky Atlantic this week.

Friday Night Lights showing from the start tomorrow night and Luck is starting on Saturday night.

ziggy90

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 06, 2012, 09:56:56 AM
Quote from: ziggy90 on February 05, 2012, 03:44:59 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on February 04, 2012, 12:18:53 PM
I understand the first series of Borgen finishes tonight on BBC3 - to be followed next week by Bron (The Bridge) which is about a joint investigation by Danish and Swedish police in relation to a murder on 'the bridge' which spans between Denmark (Copenhagen) and Malmo.  I think it's the best thing I've seen in quite a while - no spoilers, but if you liked The Killing, Wallander and Borgen I'd imagine you'll enjoy it.

What channel & night is this on Billy? I've just checked the Sky TV Guide & it's saying that a new series of Inspector Montalbano starts Saturday night. I've only seen a couple of episodes of this before but what I have seen I enjoyed. I think it's set in Sicily.

Sorry, I was only reporting hearsay about 'Bron' - maybe they're saving it for a while, I know that BBC got the broadcasting rights for it.  Anyway Montalbano's brilliant, you'll enjoy it immensely - very different to the Scandinavian stuff, but extremely political in its own way.

You were right about me enjoying Montalbano Billy, it's brilliant. i watched the first episode last night "the Snack Thief" the one about an orphaned Tunisian boy. The pantomine "Italians" were classic, Cassatella the front of house cop & the bus driver (reminds me very much of someone I know). I get what you mean about the political side of it too.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Gazzler

Anyone watching Touch with Kiefer Sutherland and the fella from Bachelors Walk?

Santino

I'm kinda in love with Zooey Deschanel from New Girl. Enjoyable lighthearted US sitcom

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Santino on February 16, 2012, 08:59:09 PM
I'm kinda in love with Zooey Deschanel from New Girl. Enjoyable lighthearted US sitcom

The rules!!!
Hasta la victoria siempre

Dinny Breen

Zooey and her sister Emily from Bones...
#newbridgeornowhere