Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Íseal agus crua isteach a

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 27, 2013, 08:04:07 PM
Anyone ever suffer the effects of over-training? i am suffering the past two weeks, sore legs, lack of energy and slow times...

I had this as well. Someone told me to take a B12 vitamin every day and a protein shake. It really helped.

ballinaman

Hey gallsman,
Good advice from tommygunn there for a start.

Sounds like a slight biomechanical issue in your foot. May need a little correction to help the foot function correctly, either by an off the shelf insole or a custom one. A good physio will be able to assess which you need. A lot of arch pain is caused by tightening of the calf muscles so best get a foam roller on them for a start anyways. Give us a PM if you want any advice.

imtommygunn

Broke 17 for a 5k last night BM. Had been training for a half but it was off due to the weather.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 28, 2013, 09:41:43 AM
Broke 17 for a 5k last night BM. Had been training for a half but it was off due to the weather.
Boom. Fair play, serious clipping always to break 17, don't have a moment to relax. I think it's time to start getting my running shoes out again!

Bingo

Thats serious running imtommygun, fair play. Once I get the connemarathon out of the way, I'll look at my 5km and 10km times again, bit of speed work to be done before that once the recovery is complete. Couple of the lads spent Janaury doing speed work and took their 5km times well under 19mins when both had struggled to break 20mins on the odd occasion.

Thank be to jaysus the marathon not this weekend, been hit with a bad dose since sunday, only feel kinda normal today, no running this week to date but not too worried about that at this stage, bit of rest no harm as got a shed load of miles in last week.

Milltown Row2

17??? Fcuk that is serious running 4 minutes off my best time, would struggle to get under 20 when I think about it, probably don't do enough running in fairness to get to that time, target this year is to get below 20 but 17 is great running.

Did you maintain the same pace throughout or start off really strong? I seem to keep the same pace throughout and lack that injection of pace at times
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Was that the Queen's 5k?

I saw the results list - that was a seriously fast race.  The top femal came about a third of the way down.  Bro-in-law did his PB of 22.20 and was about two thirds of the way down. 

qubdub

Was hoping on doing that Queen's 5k but other commitments meant I wasn't able. 17 mins is a brilliant time. I would struggle to break 20 (pb), usually just over/under 21 is what I seem to be stuck at.

Oddly I seem to run quicker out on the road than I do on the treadmill  ???

imtommygunn

Yes Queens 5k Rois. It's always got a lot of the fast boys in it so to be honest you're better not worrying about placing and just concentrating on the time.

MR I went out reasonably hard and dropped the pace a bit the next few k but managed to pick it up again. 3:17 for 1st k, 3:24 for the 2nd and then back down to 3:19 or so for the rest. 5k's are hard to judge - you see in those races that most people go out like the clappers and then die. It's about finding a balance. If you parkrun regularly you should try going out hard some day and see how it goes.

qubdub that's probably the monotony of the treadmill...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: qubdub on March 28, 2013, 11:26:15 AM
Was hoping on doing that Queen's 5k but other commitments meant I wasn't able. 17 mins is a brilliant time. I would struggle to break 20 (pb), usually just over/under 21 is what I seem to be stuck at.

Yeah Tommy is right, the treadmill is boring as fook and I've always had better times on the road, but it does serve a purpose, will be doing 5K on it later

Yeah Tommy will give it a lash some week, might do a half lap warm up before the parkrun some day, always rushing down or late so never best prepared in fairness
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

The parkrun is a funny one - it's too early in the morning and the body isn't fully functional and either has been too well fuelled or not fuelled at all. I'd expect any time you get in it you could do a good bit better than in the afternoon/evening. I always do anyway.

qubdub

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2013, 11:41:19 AM
Quote from: qubdub on March 28, 2013, 11:26:15 AM

Yeah Tommy is right, the treadmill is boring as fook and I've always had better times on the road, but it does serve a purpose, will be doing 5K on it later

Yeah Tommy will give it a lash some week, might do a half lap warm up before the parkrun some day, always rushing down or late so never best prepared in fairness
I only use treadmill for convenience more than anything really (that and to get a look at the women in the PEC). I find it boring alright but do 5k every time I'm in the gym (at least 2x/week) but still can't get my time down!

Are there any good 5k runs in Belfast? Preferably flat because the ones I do at home are quite hilly and want to try myself on a flat circuit..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 28, 2013, 11:51:35 AM
The parkrun is a funny one - it's too early in the morning and the body isn't fully functional and either has been too well fuelled or not fuelled at all. I'd expect any time you get in it you could do a good bit better than in the afternoon/evening. I always do anyway.

Aye think your are right about being fast in the afternoon, and getting the fueling right.

The Parkrun in the Waterworks is a decent run qubdub, two small inclines and generally flat, two laps.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnneycool

Ran my first ever 10K at the weekend, 58 minutes and 48 seconds or the likes, was happy enough to get under the hour TBH. I didn't do a whole lot of training, my feet went numb about half way and the bloody hills and wind off the Irish sea made it hard to breathe for almost a mile was disastrous, kept plodding along anyway. stamina running was never my thing but enjoyed it all the same.