Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

You'd be looking at the very top end of the ultra-marathons I'd imagine or the adventure racing that is often spread out over big distances and lasts 24/36 hours. It normally on unmarked routes with numerous checkpoints, requires nagivation skills and has tasks along the way.

http://www.beastofballyhoura.com/ This one seems to the most popular in Ireland.

I been reading on the Ironman recently and training plans have from 10 hrs per week (14-15 hr finish) to 20 hrs per week (8-10hrs finish).

screenexile

imtommygunn

Didn't mind the name but that's him alright.

Adventure racing is a big thing these days. Some money in it and mad stuff some of it. Seems a slightly lesser extreme of the triathlons.

Triathlons seem very addictive but never had the inclination myself.

Mayo4Sam

Competing in the triathlons is all relative, very few people are going to win one. There's a lad Eric Wolfe in cork and he finishes 2nd every tri to another lad, ur man is just faster, so he's probably always competing to stay ahead of 3rd.
Me, I'd be hoping for top 20%, that's always the goal, as I get better that'll increase but I'll always be competing rather than completing. Complete the first one then you've a target.

That run must be short at 14mins, you'd expect triathletes to be doing 16/17. The pool swim is meant to be a curse, lads not giving way to faster swimmers.

I've Kilkenny this weekend, 1200 people, off in 11 waves though I'd prefer 2 or 3. Masterchef are providing grub after though!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Milltown Row2

Just nipped to gym and tried that distance in the pool, 21 minutes flat. Punctured but will try to break the twenty mark before the race. Nearly fainted in shower FFS. Nah food in me
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

haranguerer

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 26, 2012, 02:15:36 PM

There's a boy I think from Bellaghy in Derry who's world class at the triathlons - I think the ironman.

Theres a lad from Fermanagh who actually is world class at the triathlons; he'll be on the start line at Hyde park in a week or sos time!

tyroneman

This may be a bit indelicate..... but for long runs...how do you counteract needing to go to the toilet 5-6 miles in?

I  (no nicer way of putting it) fill the bowl before a run but invariably need to go again mid run.....is immodium an option?

Bingo

Quote from: tyroneman on July 26, 2012, 11:56:42 PM
This may be a bit indelicate..... but for long runs...how do you counteract needing to go to the toilet 5-6 miles in?

I  (no nicer way of putting it) fill the bowl before a run but invariably need to go again mid run.....is immodium an option?

No. 2 I assume?

Luckily never had the problem but if you fill the bowl before hand, surprised you need to go again within the hour. Maybe look at the diet?

imtommygunn

A girl I train with actually started talked about this to me the other week TM. Apparently it's very common and yes immodium or an equivalent seems to be the answer...

I wondered where that guy was from haranguerer - sounds like he's world class but maybe just a bit short of medal standard. Probably similar to Morrison although if she has one of her better days she will maybe have an outside chance of a medal.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on July 27, 2012, 09:20:15 AM

No. 2 I assume?

Luckily never had the problem but if you fill the bowl before hand, surprised you need to go again within the hour. Maybe look at the diet?
Bit heavy on the fibre and greens maybe? Had to ease off on the spinach myself..... ;)eye of the needle job...

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on July 27, 2012, 12:50:20 PM
Quote from: Bingo on July 27, 2012, 09:20:15 AM

No. 2 I assume?

Bit heavy on the fibre and greens maybe? Had to ease off on the spinach myself..... ;)eye of the needle job...

The beetroot juice would help clear out all the pipes  :)

Bingo

BC1 did you do the run yesterday? Did it myself, finished on 43.26, reasonably happy with that. Was going well until just after the 7km mark when the wind was into the face and hills started rising longer and more frequent than before. Struggled to the 9km mark but then recovered to finish string enough, had hoped to touch the PB mark of 42 but 7-9km put paid to that. Knee swollen as well today and a bit stiff, always seem to come out the worse for wear from Cross!!

Was a great event and the heavy showers held off. Finsihers medal was more like a small trophy and was great. Winning time of just under 31mins was a serious run. Think they had about 300 altogether for it.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Bingo on July 30, 2012, 10:53:14 AM
BC1 did you do the run yesterday? Did it myself, finished on 43.26, reasonably happy with that. Was going well until just after the 7km mark when the wind was into the face and hills started rising longer and more frequent than before. Struggled to the 9km mark but then recovered to finish string enough, had hoped to touch the PB mark of 42 but 7-9km put paid to that. Knee swollen as well today and a bit stiff, always seem to come out the worse for wear from Cross!!

Was a great event and the heavy showers held off. Finsihers medal was more like a small trophy and was great. Winning time of just under 31mins was a serious run. Think they had about 300 altogether for it.

Didn't make it Bingo, haven't been training due to other commitments and have been struggling with a calf problem.  Heard ot was a good day though, but I ended up at a beer tent with a few rugby heads at a 7's tournament so I think maybe I had the best idea :P

Bingo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 30, 2012, 11:00:50 AM

Didn't make it Bingo, haven't been training due to other commitments and have been struggling with a calf problem.  Heard ot was a good day though, but I ended up at a beer tent with a few rugby heads at a 7's tournament so I think maybe I had the best idea :P

You had it right! Running up those hills towards the square, I was thinking if Gerry O'donnells is open, I'll dive in there for one to get me home!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Bingo on July 30, 2012, 11:07:48 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 30, 2012, 11:00:50 AM

You had it right! Running up those hills towards the square, I was thinking if Gerry O'donnells is open, I'll dive in there for one to get me home!

I went for a walk with the dogs at lunchtime and got home at 7 o'clock!!  Wife and kids were with me though so wasn't too raucous!