Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

I'm completely stumped by the old running.  I just cant seem to get it going again with constant calf problems.  I sort of quit at the start of last year and cycled instead and i'd no calf issues at all.  I even did a few recreational Gaelic sessions on the pitch and had no calf problems.  Then i bit the bullet yesterday and did a 2k junior park run with the child and up pops the old injury. Not during the activity this time but pain later in the day.

Gonna really have to consider some physio work to get this sorted.

screenexile

Quote from: laoislad on January 17, 2022, 03:24:30 PM
Yeah it's a good one alright. Tough though, lot of climbing for the first 15 miles or so. The atmosphere is something else right throughout the course.
Can't wait for it though, hopefully it and the Race Series go ahead.

Feck that all the reviews I read said it was fairly flat except for a big hill on mile 21!!

laoislad

Quote from: screenexile on January 17, 2022, 04:27:55 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 17, 2022, 03:24:30 PM
Yeah it's a good one alright. Tough though, lot of climbing for the first 15 miles or so. The atmosphere is something else right throughout the course.
Can't wait for it though, hopefully it and the Race Series go ahead.

Feck that all the reviews I read said it was fairly flat except for a big hill on mile 21!!
You're basically climbing from mile 2 from Stoneybatter thru the Phoenix Park to past Castleknock until at around 7miles.3 miles of downhills then coming back down through the Phoenix Park but a pretty big hill at mile 10 after Chapelizod,then another uphill drag all up the Crumlin Road to the Walkinstown Roundabout which is about 15miles in.
You're good then till around Clonskeagh at around 20miles where there will be  a few uphill drags and then Roebuck which is the one you read about which is a killer. It's short but it's steep especially that far into a Marathon.
You'll be grand though  ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Very hard to do 26 miles anywhere without hills.

Lurganblue I have had those issues you are having. For me they were, and still are but not as much, not calf issues - they were basically hip function. Running is unforgiving and will expose issues like that like no other sports will. That's not to say your issues are the same but I know a few ones who get calf issues with issues further up the chain.

SHEEDY

For anyone doing marathon training for first time make sure you have decent pair of trainers, the miles are unforgiving on the joints. They don't have to be the dearest brand going, just ones that aren't worn.
nil satis nisi optimum

lurganblue

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 17, 2022, 05:35:04 PM
Very hard to do 26 miles anywhere without hills.

Lurganblue I have had those issues you are having. For me they were, and still are but not as much, not calf issues - they were basically hip function. Running is unforgiving and will expose issues like that like no other sports will. That's not to say your issues are the same but I know a few ones who get calf issues with issues further up the chain.

I wouldn't be surprised, as I sit most of the day for my job. Can't be good.

imtommygunn

I find that too lurganblue. Making a conscious effort this year to get more active when not running. The sitting ruins posture, glutes, hip flexors etc. Try and find a way to keep mobile even with the sitting and it will help you no end.

Pilates is very helpful. The more I do of it the less I struggle with any niggles but it's finding the time.

The Bearded One

Can anyone recommend a good headlight? My current model is about to give up on me.
It is what it is. Presumably.

imtommygunn

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rechargeable-trekking-head-torch-trek-100-usb-120-lumens/_/R-p-302568?mc=8577504&c=GREEN

I just bought this one out of decathlon. I can't speak about longevity etc but seems dead on to me.

Milltown Row2

I hate these bloody bright lights along the towpath st Loughshore, they are blinding depending on their position! My wee dogs don't like them either lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

There are settings on them though that you don't need to be using the one that blinds everyone.

laoislad

Any of ye do the Raheny 5 Miler today? Hearing it was measured long.

SHEEDY

Quote from: laoislad on January 30, 2022, 05:48:14 PM
Any of ye do the Raheny 5 Miler today? Hearing it was measured long.
know a few that done it and on their Strava it was 5.25 miles
nil satis nisi optimum

imtommygunn

Why did they change the route? Sure the old route was great. Although granted I haven't done it in a while.

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 30, 2022, 08:52:16 PM
Why did they change the route? Sure the old route was great. Although granted I haven't done it in a while.
From reading another forum, apparently the turn around cone was but in the wrong place, added about 500 meters to the course.