The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Last season under Dalglish Liverpool beat Oldham 5-1 is Rodgers the right manager to bring Liverpool forward?

GalwayBayBoy

Physically bullied again by a bigger team. Was a bit like the Stoke match before Christmas. Liverpool had no presence at all in midfield until Gerrard came and in fairness he made a big difference and nearly got the equaliser when he hit the bar. Too many lightweight players on the field at the same time in a FA Cup 3rd round tie away from home when you know it's going to be a physical fight, first and foremost. Coates has the size but was very poor and Jones practically gave a free goal away. Oldham were up for it and Liverpool weren't. The game was played on their terms until Gerrard came on and Liverpool were 3-1 down by then. End of story.

From the Bunker

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 27, 2013, 06:00:54 PM
I can see why Liverpool fans are always on the Utd thread.

And you're never on this thread?

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 27, 2013, 06:49:40 PM
Physically bullied again by a bigger team. Was a bit like the Stoke match before Christmas. Liverpool had no presence at all in midfield until Gerrard came and in fairness he made a big difference and nearly got the equaliser when he hit the bar. Too many lightweight players on the field at the same time in a FA Cup 3rd round tie away from home when you know it's going to be a physical fight, first and foremost. Coates has the size but was very poor and Jones practically gave a free goal away. Oldham were up for it and Liverpool weren't. The game was played on their terms until Gerrard came on and Liverpool were 3-1 down by then. End of story.

Ah, hard to know what to make of that. Hunger was the key. Well done Oldham. Fixture list will be a little lighter for Brendan and co. So bar a run in the Europa Cup there should be not excuses for fatigue from now on!

rodney trotter

I was on twice before before now. Was curious about the Sturridge transfer - ( He has done decent so far) and asked about Suarez, if ye thought he would be there at the end of the season. Other than that I have never been on.

brokencrossbar1

The early goal meant that Liverpool never were able to get into their stride.  Oldham bullied them but you would have to think if they hadn't scored early then a lot of that fire would have naturally ebbed away, the early goal gave them confidence and put massive pressure on.  Once it went in the leadership wasn't there and they were very yappy.  Saurez played well in the first half but was anonymous in the second.  There were a few chances that didn't go in from the first half, Sterling's in particular, that if they had gone in then Liverpool would have won with a bit to spare.  Oldham got a few lucky breaks and made the most of them, Sturridge non free followed by Jones mishandling. 

Anyway, no point in worrying about it now.  Done, dusted and history. The have been people questioning why Coates is being hawked about, me included, but today showed that maybe he does not have it.  Young and all that he is perhaps he just isn't showing it in training.  Centre of defence was shocking and Robinson showed his 'greeness' a few times.  Also I could be wrong as I am not an expert lip reader but I thought he told Saurez to "f**k off" after Robinson ballooned a chance instead of crossing it.  As I said it may not have been at Saurez but it was definitely in his general direction.  Not the sort of thing you say to the man who is basically carrying the team for most of the time. 

Onwards to the Gunners and hopefully they can put this behin them.

heganboy

Robinson didn't cover himself in glory at all today, and I saw that remark, right after a brutal shot that he completely miscued. He was just part of the problem though
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

laoislad

Yeah saw that from Robinson too, thought it was very poor form from him.
Also I know he is only back from injury but I really don't think Borini is up to much.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: laoislad on January 27, 2013, 08:26:33 PM
Yeah saw that from Robinson too, thought it was very poor form from him.
Also I know he is only back from injury but I really don't think Borini is up to much.

Borini was poor apart from the run for the goal and the back heel to Sterling for his chance.  Robbie Fowler made a few very sarcastic tweets about his performance, was not impressed at all!

general

Armamike

Oldham were up for this game, Liverpool weren't.  Exemplifed by Smith who went for it and bullied Coates and co throughout.  Coates was sleepwalking his way through this game, not tuned in for it at all.  Liverpool have too many lightweight players who aren't really able or prepared to scrap it out.  They need to match the likes of Oldham physically first, and then beat them at the football.  The likes of Allen though just doesn't have it for these sorts of games.
That's just, like your opinion man.

nifan

Deserved victory for Oldham.

robinson, coates, allen and borini all awful. many of the others not much better than that.

NAG1

Quote from: nifan on January 28, 2013, 08:30:37 AM
Deserved victory for Oldham.

robinson, coates, allen and borini all awful. many of the others not much better than that.

Be interesting to see in the summer when he starts to offload these guys, be some amount of hits on the transfer fees.

johnneycool

Quote from: Armamike on January 27, 2013, 11:17:50 PM
Oldham were up for this game, Liverpool weren't.  Exemplifed by Smith who went for it and bullied Coates and co throughout.  Coates was sleepwalking his way through this game, not tuned in for it at all.  Liverpool have too many lightweight players who aren't really able or prepared to scrap it out.  They need to match the likes of Oldham physically first, and then beat them at the football.  The likes of Allen though just doesn't have it for these sorts of games.

As much as Jamie is done, he'd have gotten wired into Smith and let the rest play a bit of football around him, Rodgers hasn't got the players to play his philosophy just yet, so he should possibly taper his tactics until he does.

Jose Baxter will now get a chance to play against Everton after they let him go last year.

Bingo

Disappointing display and again, its a worry I have with Rodgers and his teams, there is always a display like this around the corner. But you can't blame him for the simply goals that where conceded. Simply put, if Reina was in goals, and he isn't having his best season either, Liverpool don't go out. The goal just before half time was criminal, the first not much better.

I'd not be too harsh on Robinson, seen him in a right few games and thats the first time he has struggled and he struggled largely with the rest of the defence and Coates was the nearest defender to him. He was also due to go out on loan this month and play against those type of teams but with injuries to Kelly, Enrique and Flanagan he had to stay. He'll learn and would still think he'll be a decent player.