The official Everton FC Supporters thread

Started by boojangles, January 06, 2009, 02:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Nakata

McCarthy covers every blade of grass. I think he's a brilliant player. Most Evertonians love him. He does come in for a bit of stick for crab passing and going backwards, looking for the simple pass, but whenever he's out injured our results stink. Can he control a game like Keane did, no chance. He is not that type of player. But the abuse Dunphy fires his way is unbelievable.

The Stallion

A brilliant player whose only noteworthy contribution you mention is running around a lot?

There is no shortage of talentless midfielders who run around a lot without actually doing anything. McCarthy falls into the same category as Milner, Henderson et al.

imtommygunn

He is not Iniesta or Xavi stallion but he is a brilliant team player who is vital to the way everton play... The stats back that up too.

The Stallion

I fail to see how someone who doesn't defend well and offers nothing going forward is a great team player. Seems to be a term reserved for talentless players who run around a bit without actually doing anything.

The Stallion

Someone like Kante at Leicester actually offers something because he doesn't just run around. He actually defends well.

Esmarelda

Quote from: The Stallion on March 15, 2016, 01:56:44 PM
Someone like Kante at Leicester actually offers something because he doesn't just run around. He actually defends well.
Exactly. Kante and Besic are just as able to do what McCarthy does defensively but don't run away from the ball when their team have it.

johnneycool

Quote from: The Stallion on March 15, 2016, 01:55:18 PM
I fail to see how someone who doesn't defend well and offers nothing going forward is a great team player. Seems to be a term reserved for talentless players who run around a bit without actually doing anything.

Who says he doesn't defend well?

johnneycool

The Stallion

Fuzzman

I haven't been on this thread for ages and I can see The Stallion is back stirring up his hooves.

I laughed out loud when I read his go through the whole team more or less and say everyone was shite except Deulofeu, Lukaku and Seamy.

A lot of people thought Martinez was mad to spend £28M for Rom and look at him now. Most (not all) of RM's buys have been quite successful including Mori, Barry and recently Lennon.
I expected to see a lot more of Geri since Christmas but I have been shocked Bobby hasn't given his fellow countryman more of a run in recent weeks although Lennon has made that decision easier for him perhaps.
Geri though has 8 assists with Barkley next with 7.
At least we've not saw Howard or Kone for a good few weeks now so maybe Mr Stubborn is finally giving up on them too.

Barry has surprised me the most this year as last year I thought he played well at times but on other days he looked slow and a liability. This year he's been immense and his experience is crucial for quite a young team.
I'm also glad to see Jags back into the team but he can be out muscled too easy at times and isn't dominant enough the way Shawcross can be. If you look at our usual back 4 there are too many of them nicey nicey players and no hard men or defenders who take no shit. This is why I believe we often throw away leads or make silly defensive mistakes.

Our home record is a disgrace this year and whilst it has mainly been down to bad defending or lack of concentration you gotta point the finger at RM to some degree. Saying that what is weird is we are in the semi of the FA cup and have yet to concede a goal. Bobby will probably saying getting to 2 cup semifinals isn't a bad season and could be enough to save his job but everyone knows we've underachieved this year when you look at teams like Leicester, Spurs and even West Ham how well they've done

The Stallion

Barry and Lennon have been brutal in my opinion. Barry has no pace and all he does is foul players he manages to get close enough to (not many).

Lennon has nothing but pace. Lukaku repeatedly throws his arms up at the appalling service Lennon provides. Deulofeu is much better at creating chances for Lukaku.

imtommygunn

Barry, according to a lot of media, has been outstanding this year and seems to be a fan favourite too. I know what you mean on lennon but deulofeu was beginning to get bullied very easily and had questionable work rate. He deserves gametime but not 90 minutes and he wasn't even fit enough to last 90 minutes. He still has quite a bit of developing to do.

Incidentally barry playing with mccarthy is infinitely better than without as mccarthy makes up for barry's lack of pave.

The Stallion

The media love nothing more than to latch onto an English midfield donkey and overhype his performances. Barry, Henderson, Milner Gerrard, Etc.

imtommygunn

It's about system over individual with some players. Barry in a midfield with good cover is a very valuable asset.

No one really rates milner and it's questionable if henderson is top notch too. Gerrard beside alonso = outstanding midfield. Gerrard beside Lampard= not so much.