The official Everton FC Supporters thread

Started by boojangles, January 06, 2009, 02:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 13, 2013, 04:12:54 PM
Benitez wants to stay in england............
Rafa for Newcastle

Of the favourites I think MacKay would be best for Everton.

I see Slaven Bilic is 40/1 in the betting. No idea what he's doing now, but always thought he'd make a good PL manager. Would be great at Everton I'd say, but presumably at that length of odds its not a runner.

deiseach

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 11, 2013, 01:23:14 PM
Quote from: deiseach on May 10, 2013, 10:06:32 AM
I didn't mean that Evertonians are more inclined to say "next year is our year", I meant that the supposedly constant refrain from Liverpudlians that "next year is our year" exists only in the mind of Evertonians. It's similar to the notion among the Toffees that there are more of them in the city of Liverpool than there are Reds - and whaddya know, there you are repeating that fallacy! As I saw one Red point out on a forum, considering Everton can't fill Goodison Park on a regular basis it's fair to say there are no more than 35,000 Bluenoses in the city ;)

Hardly a fallacy to state something (while not definitive) that most historical reports and premier league fans surveys/stadium reports point to as being the more likely. What is a fallacy is using a comment by a disgruntled Red fan on a dubious Everton fans forum to back up your point.

I wouldn't have thought it needed to be said, but it was meant as a joke. Having said that, it's about as convincing an observation as these 'surveys' that you mention. If there is a survey that shows that more people in the city of Liverpool support Everton than support Liverpool, I'm sure you would have linked to it.

Quote from: deiseach on May 10, 2013, 03:31:06 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 10, 2013, 03:09:52 PM
If you remove the blowins from Ireland and Brits from outside of Merseyside, their support is much closer than you suggest.

Nah, I'm going to run with there being only 35,000 Toffees in the city of Liverpool. The numbers don't lie.

Well they do lie especially when they are not put in context and are wrong ;D. On EvertonFc.com the average attendance has hovered between 36000 to 38000 over the last 3 years. Also you conveniently leave out the fact that a sizeable amount of Liverpool match tickets are sold en bloc through the very lucrative overseas fan clubs and the fact that Liverpools overseas fan base is ten times what Everton have. Throw in that every premier league fan survey shows that Everton fans on average travel 42 miles to get to home games whereas Pool fans on average travel 82 miles to get to Anfield which easily supports the claim that more locals follow the Toffees!

Since when did the city of Liverpool stretch for 42 miles outside from the centre? Maybe when Everton were contemplating moving to Kirkby. All your statistic demonstrates is that, contrary to their self-image, many Evertonians are in fact woolybacks and Taffs.

OakleafCounty

Would love to see them give Martin O'Neill the job.

Fuzzman

Yes indeed that would be interesting though having read an article about Martin recently, the guy said he thinks Martin has lost his mojo. Not as passionate as he used to be.

Crete Boom

Well there seems to be a definite list of contenders but which one is best suited to the Job?

- Malky Lackay seems to be the number one choice at the moment and would seem to be a clone of David Moyes circa 2002 in that he is an ex Celtic center half and has gain experience in the championship with a shaky but steady time at Watford followed by a successful period bringing Cardiff to the promised land. Can he step up like Moyes did with expectations being a lot higher than when Moyes took over in 2002?

-Roberto Martinez has just written himself into FA cup history with the win for Wigan and I was impressed that they took the game to City on the deck and not only won but fully deserved the win over the 90 mins. It was no back to the wall situation like 1995 with the dogs of war vs the slick big guns of Utd! Also I like he's belief in high tempo passing game which is good to watch are results in plenty of goals but the main downside is the equal amount of goals conceded as well as scored. He hasn't managed to fashion a stable back four in his time at Wigan but maybe with some better personnel and more money he might be able to do better but that's a big assumption!

-Neil Lennon would again be another Celtic man to come in and would be relatively inexperienced ( of the Premiership anyway) but his key big game experience and success in the champions league would probably negate this. Also a manger who prefers posseion football but I like the way he has tailored it to the limited talent pool available to him compare to Barca/Man utd etc.... He has bought well on a tight budget and picked a couple of gems from left field so provided he can control his fiery temperament he would definitely be a good fit for the Toffees

- And the rest :
- Michael Laudrup , very impressive in winning a cup for Swansea while sticking to their slick Spanish type passing game with an eye for a bargain( Michu) but unlikely to jump ship this year from a team on the rise so I think this all but rules him out.
- Martin O' Neill , a bit like his one time tormentor Cloughie he seemed a bit lost without his right hand man John Robertson and had money issues at Villa who had a much bigger budget than Everton at the time does I think make him a bit of a outsider for this one. Still wouldn't be surprised to see him take and bully his way into a top four finish with the Blues though!
- Rafa , now if I was chairman and was willing to do anything to even the odds of breaking into the top four Rafa would have to be on any shortlist. His football might be painful to watch but he did win a champions league with an average Liverpool team garnered with a couple of top class players. Also he won la liga on a shoestring budget with Valencia adding a Uefa cup as well. The main problem is his style of football and past association with Liverpool still fresh in the mind would make him a very controversial appointment.
- Mark Hughes , God where do I start? After the QPR debacle personally I would have Howard Kendall , El Tel Venables , Howard Wilkinson , Trap etc... all ahead of him!!!!

SHEEDY

I see both phil Neville and alan stubbs have had their odds shortened on becoming new manager. could bill go for an in house appointment?
nil satis nisi optimum

johnneycool

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 13, 2013, 06:29:08 PM
I see both phil Neville and alan stubbs have had their odds shortened on becoming new manager. could bill go for an in house appointment?

Neither has any managerial experience, they'd be long shots at the very least.

Is Slaven Bilić not on the radar?

Crete Boom

Quote from: johnneycool on May 14, 2013, 09:38:09 AM

He probably should be with the record he has with Croatia but with so little club experience could he be another Mark Huges? He would know the club having played for us in the dark old days.

johnneycool

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 14, 2013, 09:41:59 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on May 14, 2013, 09:38:09 AM

He probably should be with the record he has with Croatia but with so little club experience could he be another Mark Huges? He would know the club having played for us in the dark old days.

That might put him off  :o

The Worker

johnneycool

What as?

He'd be a good man to have around the squad to scare the bejaysus out of underperforming players and have him stand in the tunnel to glare at the opposition on their way out onto the pitch.

Fuzzman

Vitor Pereira from Porto (The Quiet man's Mourniho)

HE HAS quietly crept up in the betting stakes to become David Moyes' replacement, but the quiet man of Porto could be capable of making a big noise at Goodison.

Vitor Pereira is on the brink of retaining the Portuguese Liga title after a dramatic clash with Benfica on Saturday left his side in pole position to clinch the honours.

And with Pereira's future at Estádio do Dragão, where he is out of contract in the summer, currently shrouded with uncertainty, the bookies reckon he could be a leading candidate to succeed Moyes at Goodison.

The 44-year-old has done well since replacing the Premier League bound Andre Villas Boas in charge at Porto in 2011, and while he shares some of the back-story which has made Villas Boas and Jose Mourinho before him a hit in the Premier League, Pereira does not share their outspoken traits.

In an interview yesterday he described himself as a man who prefers to focus on tactics, and leave the hogging of limelight to others.

"Portuguese people are strategic, with a huge work ethic" he said. "I do not have the talent to speak, in public, as finely as they do.

"Andre is very expressive, but I am different. I am a quiet person.

"I define myself differently: I am a tactical coach. For me, that part of the game is not so important.

"It is not part of my personality."

Everton fans will care more about the footballing style of their next manager than whether he can produce the right soundbites, and when it comes to tactics Pereira says all the right things to whet their appetite.

"I like my teams to have total control, of the ball, of the game," he said.

"I like to see my teams pressing very aggressively, very high up the pitch.

"The important thing is the balance between the attacking and defensive elements, but pressing high is the best way to defend. We have had the best defence in Portugal for the last two years."

Pereira admits he has faced frustration at Porto, where he has had to sell some of the club's stars, but has also had the opportunity to work with top talents like Joao Moutinho and Falcao.

"There are two parts to our job," he said. "One is to find the young players before other clubs do.

"And then the other part is to help develop them. We look in countries where players tend to have creativity in their game, and then the coach's job here is to teach them the tactics, the organisation, that you need to thrive in Europe. The players who move on take most of the credit, but for the coaches it is proof that we are doing our job.

"It is an honour for me to have worked with so many fantastic players. It is a point of pride to see them move on, to a better league, because it is a mark of my work.

"But the problem is that every year the best players are sold; we cannot build a team. Every year, we start again."

If Pereira were asked to help Everton start again in the summer, the fluent English speaker would inherit at least one player he knows well.

Pereira tried to sign Belgian forward Kevin Mirallas from Olympiakos last summer before being beaten to the player's signature by Moyes. After Mirallas shone again during Sunday's win over West Ham, he clearly knows a talent when he sees one.

Read more: Liverpool Echo http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2013/05/14/why-the-quiet-man-of-porto-vitor-pereira-could-make-a-big-noise-at-everton-fc-100252-33327542/#ixzz2TGWlAJnL

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Is one of them not likely not to go to United now, I think Stubbs will be taken to the dark side.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on May 13, 2013, 04:41:29 PM
Quote from: deiseach on May 10, 2013, 10:06:32 AM
I didn't mean that Evertonians are more inclined to say "next year is our year", I meant that the supposedly constant refrain from Liverpudlians that "next year is our year" exists only in the mind of Evertonians. It's similar to the notion among the Toffees that there are more of them in the city of Liverpool than there are Reds - and whaddya know, there you are repeating that fallacy! As I saw one Red point out on a forum, considering Everton can't fill Goodison Park on a regular basis it's fair to say there are no more than 35,000 Bluenoses in the city ;)

Hardly a fallacy to state something (while not definitive) that most historical reports and premier league fans surveys/stadium reports point to as being the more likely. What is a fallacy is using a comment by a disgruntled Red fan on a dubious Everton fans forum to back up your point.

I wouldn't have thought it needed to be said, but it was meant as a joke. Having said that, it's about as convincing an observation as these 'surveys' that you mention. If there is a survey that shows that more people in the city of Liverpool support Everton than support Liverpool, I'm sure you would have linked to it.

Quote from: deiseach on May 10, 2013, 03:31:06 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 10, 2013, 03:09:52 PM
If you remove the blowins from Ireland and Brits from outside of Merseyside, their support is much closer than you suggest.

Nah, I'm going to run with there being only 35,000 Toffees in the city of Liverpool. The numbers don't lie.

Well they do lie especially when they are not put in context and are wrong ;D. On EvertonFc.com the average attendance has hovered between 36000 to 38000 over the last 3 years. Also you conveniently leave out the fact that a sizeable amount of Liverpool match tickets are sold en bloc through the very lucrative overseas fan clubs and the fact that Liverpools overseas fan base is ten times what Everton have. Throw in that every premier league fan survey shows that Everton fans on average travel 42 miles to get to home games whereas Pool fans on average travel 82 miles to get to Anfield which easily supports the claim that more locals follow the Toffees!

Since when did the city of Liverpool stretch for 42 miles outside from the centre? Maybe when Everton were contemplating moving to Kirkby. All your statistic demonstrates is that, contrary to their self-image, many Evertonians are in fact woolybacks and Taffs.

I'm a Liverpool fan, but work in a job that regularly means I interact with every social and economic demographic in Liverpool. Those that say they are Everton fans easily match those supporting Liverpool. Much of the additional Liverpool figures are people I meet from Ireland, down South, Lancaster, Yorkshire etc. The folk from the Wirral and Wales are easily evenly split between both clubs, with Tranmere, Wigan, United, Stoke, Blackpool and smaller clubs coming up in conversation too.

That said on match day at Goodison there are no shortage of Irish or Continental accents.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 14, 2013, 01:16:34 PM
I'm a Liverpool fan, but work in a job that regularly means I interact with every social and economic demographic in Liverpool. Those that say they are Everton fans easily match those supporting Liverpool. Much of the additional Liverpool figures are people I meet from Ireland, down South, Lancaster, Yorkshire etc. The folk from the Wirral and Wales are easily evenly split between both clubs, with Tranmere, Wigan, United, Stoke, Blackpool and smaller clubs coming up in conversation too.

That's fair comment. My experience has been that there are broadly equal numbers of Reds and Blues in Liverpool. The one caveat I'd add is that this is only true past a certain age. Among younger people, Liverpool have a small but increasing majority of the support. Instances of 'mixed' families are on the decline and that is to the detriment of Everton's fan base. All this is, of course, purely anecdotal.