The official Everton FC Supporters thread

Started by boojangles, January 06, 2009, 02:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

In my younger statto days there was something about everton and arsenal as the only two teams never to be relegated from top flight or the longest runs without relegation someone more knowledgeable than me will confirm 😊

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on December 15, 2021, 03:32:54 PM
In my younger statto days there was something about everton and arsenal as the only two teams never to be relegated from top flight or the longest runs without relegation someone more knowledgeable than me will confirm 😊

Top flight since mid '50s and I think you're right that they and Arsenal have the longest run in D1 or Premier league.

J70

Arsenal are about 100 years now, aren't they?

Gabriel_Hurl

SHEEDY

Everton hold the record for the most years in the top league, 118 years. They've only ever been out of the top flight for 4 seasons in total.
nil satis nisi optimum

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 15, 2021, 08:11:27 PM
Everton hold the record for the most years in the top league, 118 years. They've only ever been out of the top flight for 4 seasons in total.

You'd think youse would have won a few more trophies ....

SHEEDY

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 15, 2021, 09:14:52 PM

4th most successful team in terms of league titles, it's the last 25 years that have been an embarrassment.
nil satis nisi optimum

johnnycool

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 15, 2021, 09:39:12 PM

4th most successful team in terms of league titles, it's the last 25 years that have been an embarrassment.

I'd have thought the old Div1 titles have been scrubbed from the history books and it's only Premiership titles that count, no?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: johnnycool on December 16, 2021, 08:02:09 AM

I'd have thought the old Div1 titles have been scrubbed from the history books and it's only Premiership titles that count, no?

Wouldn't say that but 5 of their 9 titles were pre-WW2,  2 titles in the 60's and 2 in the 80's. The 1962/63 win has a big asterisk beside it due to the Benzo scandal that surrounded the team. Although ever proven there was a whistle blower (Dunlop the goalkeeper), who claimed that the team were taking PEDs before games in the years 1961-1964.

Howard Kendall's team were very good and could have been so much more. We know the arguments about the impact of Heysel etc but even if they had made it into Europe I would question whether or not it would have made any odds. The reality is that at the same time LFC were not in Europe and created one of their greatest sides ever with Barnes, Beardsley, Aldo, Rush etc. Everton didn't really compete with that team for a few seasons apart from the few cup finals they made.

Sheedy is right about one thing, the last 25 years has been an embarrassment. The club needs rooted out from top to bottom. The Board, and Moshiri in particular, use managers as a front facing target for their own inadequacies behind it. Also one of the constants of the last 20 odd years has been Duncan Ferguson, as either player or coach. He seems to have an unreal sway round the place. Not my business but if he is the face of the club then questions really need to be asked.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: johnnycool on December 16, 2021, 08:02:09 AM

Spoken like a true United fan.
The "premiership" was only in existence for a few years.

quit yo jibbajabba

imtommygunn

gawa316

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 14, 2021, 10:37:37 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on December 14, 2021, 10:16:29 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on December 14, 2021, 09:44:50 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 14, 2021, 09:17:04 PM
Would be shocked if they went down. Newcastle and Norwich are clearly worse than them. Burnley, Leeds, Watford and Southampton all much of a muchness and Everton should have enough to stay above them. They could be pulled into it over the next few games as I see Richarlison is out for a few weeks and DCL still not back so goals will be hard to get.

Had to lay the blame at Rafas door all the same. The quality is simply not there and no matter how much coaching some get, they are still shite!
Ancellotti got 59 points last season with basically the same squad which most other years would comfortably have got European football, this year it's 4 points from last 30 available and the football is shocking, the fans are split and disillusioned. The club are lucky Newcastle, and Norwich are as bad as they are.

Ancellotti had a front line of DCL, Richarlison, James, Sigurdsson, Walcott, Iwobi, & Bernard. This season they haven't had DCL, James, sigurdsson, Walcott and Bernard for differing reasons and replaced them with Gray and Rondon. That's a massive difference for me
Walcott was at Southampton last season, Bernard only played a bit part. Sigurdsson is obviously unavailable, Benitez got rid of James, Iwobi is still there. So only difference is replacing James and Sigurdsson with Townsend and Gray who many said were an upgrade. Rondon signed by Benitez again, less said the better 🙄

Everton consistently had a front 4 of DCL, James, Richarlison, and Sigurdsson last season. This season they've had Richarlison, Gray, Rondo, and Townsend...you think Rafa should be getting the same note outta those 4?

Look at the line up they have out today...absolutely brutal and you expect them to be getting similar points to last year?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: gawa316 on December 16, 2021, 07:43:39 PM
Would be shocked if they went down. Newcastle and Norwich are clearly worse than them. Burnley, Leeds, Watford and Southampton all much of a muchness and Everton should have enough to stay above them. They could be pulled into it over the next few games as I see Richarlison is out for a few weeks and DCL still not back so goals will be hard to get.

Had to lay the blame at Rafas door all the same. The quality is simply not there and no matter how much coaching some get, they are still shite!
Ancellotti got 59 points last season with basically the same squad which most other years would comfortably have got European football, this year it's 4 points from last 30 available and the football is shocking, the fans are split and disillusioned. The club are lucky Newcastle, and Norwich are as bad as they are.

Ancellotti had a front line of DCL, Richarlison, James, Sigurdsson, Walcott, Iwobi, & Bernard. This season they haven't had DCL, James, sigurdsson, Walcott and Bernard for differing reasons and replaced them with Gray and Rondon. That's a massive difference for me
Walcott was at Southampton last season, Bernard only played a bit part. Sigurdsson is obviously unavailable, Benitez got rid of James, Iwobi is still there. So only difference is replacing James and Sigurdsson with Townsend and Gray who many said were an upgrade. Rondon signed by Benitez again, less said the better 🙄

Everton consistently had a front 4 of DCL, James, Richarlison, and Sigurdsson last season. This season they've had Richarlison, Gray, Rondo, and Townsend...you think Rafa should be getting the same note outta those 4?

Look at the line up they have out today...absolutely brutal and you expect them to be getting similar points to last year?
James played very infrequently last season

Rondon was bought by Rafa! He also let King leave (who is actually able to play in PL)

I expect 3-0 loss tonight

gawa316

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 16, 2021, 08:36:10 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on December 16, 2021, 07:43:39 PM

James played very infrequently last season

Rondon was bought by Rafa! He also let King leave (who is actually able to play in PL)

I expect 3-0 loss tonight

Rafa brought Rondon in on a free as it's better than having no players. Was it Rafa's decision to let King and James go?