Registering a ROI car in NI

Started by nifan, November 24, 2008, 02:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

Lads anyone any experience of this?
Is it needlessly awkward or can the car be reregistered handily enough?

magickingdom

if you were going the other way nifan you'd be swamped with replies ;D

Pangurban

Very simple painless procedure. Take registration details to local Car Tax Office, along with receipt of purchase. They will issue a registration number and tax. Take reg.no and have set of number plates made for affixing too Car. About 1/2 months later you will receive a bill for import duty from HM Custom and Excise, cant remember how amount was calculated but it is not serious money, you should still come out well ahead on the deal

Bogball XV

not be better to try and sell it south of the border as second hand cars have a higher value in the south?  Admittedly it won't be easy getting cash for a car at the minute, but if you give a good deal you could easily be able to upgrade a year or two with the cash up north.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Pangurban on November 24, 2008, 08:22:50 PM
Very simple painless procedure. Take registration details to local Car Tax Office, along with receipt of purchase. They will issue a registration number and tax. Take reg.no and have set of number plates made for affixing too Car. About 1/2 months later you will receive a bill for import duty from HM Custom and Excise, cant remember how amount was calculated but it is not serious money, you should still come out well ahead on the deal
???

armaghniac

As far as I know there is no duty on cars in the North only a registration charge of £50 or the like. If it was someone moving from the South there would be no taxes in any case.

Post your question here
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=47

for a better set of people to answer the question.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Pangurban

You are wrong Armaghmaniac, i have imported a new Car from the south, and definitely paid import duty

Down Gael

Quote from: Pangurban on November 24, 2008, 10:10:44 PM
You are wrong Armaghmaniac, i have imported a new Car from the south, and definitely paid import duty

There is no import duty when taking a car from South to North, you may have got a VAT bill from HM Customs on a new car, but not one for duty. I think armaghniac is correct with the £50 registration fee, its there or there abouts. Its a long time from I did it, but from memory he will need the log book, certificate of conformity, insurance details and then pay to tax the car.

nifan

Car is the missus's - 4 years old.

Wouldnt mind selling it and getting a similar model up here but the hassle of it may be prohibitive.

Pangurban

Have just checked my invoice, you are right Downgael, it was VAT.

Bogball XV

Quote from: nifan on November 24, 2008, 10:27:39 PM
Car is the missus's - 4 years old.

Wouldnt mind selling it and getting a similar model up here but the hassle of it may be prohibitive.
If you can it would make much more sense nifan, and as I said earlier you could be able to move up a year or so for the money you get, especially with the stg/euro rate at the minute.

armaghniac

Quotei have imported a new Car from the south,

A new car would be different as no EU taxes would have been paid.

As for the NiFan's car. Go along to some of those car dealers in the South that import cars from the UK, try and find a non dodgy one. These will have cars on which the Irish VRT has not yet been paid, as dealers don't do this until the sale. Trade in your Southern car for one of these and you can just use its' existing registration.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bogball XV

Quote from: armaghniac on November 24, 2008, 11:13:39 PM
Quotei have imported a new Car from the south,

A new car would be different as no EU taxes would have been paid.

As for the NiFan's car. Go along to some of those car dealers in the South that import cars from the UK, try and find a non dodgy one. These will have cars on which the Irish VRT has not yet been paid, as dealers don't do this until the sale. Trade in your Southern car for one of these and you can just use its' existing registration.
good call

Zapatista

Quote from: magickingdom on November 24, 2008, 07:45:44 PM
if you were going the other way nifan you'd be swamped with replies ;D

How does it work and how much is it going the other way?