BBC Documentary on Father Brian D'Arcy

Started by DownFanatic, October 29, 2012, 11:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Any posters watch it on BBC 1?

Found it very interesting. His progressive ideas possess merit and the church would be in a lot better shape if even half of them were implemented.

Pangurban

Throughout the hour long programme, he failed to mention Christ once. Came across as self obsessed and populist, only prepared to debate on his terms and within a narrow framework. Whilst i would share many of his views, i do not think they will be advanced by slick PR and media maniipulation. Brian would also know that the institutional Church is immune to this type of persuasion, so the only point of the programme was to promote himself. Hardly a service to himself or the Church he professes to love. A sincere but somewhat misguided Man

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Pangurban on October 30, 2012, 12:17:38 AM
Throughout the hour long programme, he failed to mention Christ once. Came across as self obsessed and populist, only prepared to debate on his terms and within a narrow framework. Whilst i would share many of his views, i do not think they will be advanced by slick PR and media maniipulation. Brian would also know that the institutional Church is immune to this type of persuasion, so the only point of the programme was to promote himself. Hardly a service to himself or the Church he professes to love. A sincere but somewhat misguided Man

Your last line hits the general faith nail on the head
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Ulick

Read his latest article in the Sunday rag the other day. The arrogance of this man knows no bounds. The sooner he fecks off to Larne of wherever with other "progressives" like Pat Buckley and forms his own sect the better.

Declan

Saw a bit of his interview on Friday night on LLS. Came across as a self pitying whinger - A reminder Brian, you haven't got the patent on the ultimate "truth"

bailestil

Jaysus yous are all very harsh on him.
I knew very little about him before i seen that documentary last night.

He seemed like he was saying everything you would expect a priest to say, but that they never would admit to.
dealing with celebacy, their nomadic life, the institutional obsession with itself.

Is there still lay people out there who think that priests should still remain celebate and that there should be no women priests? really?

AQMP

I may have got this wrong but the documentary gave the impression that the "threat" to move D'Arcy from The Graan was as a result of the contentious article in the Sunday World.  It was known a long time before the article that he might be leaving The Graan, as I think they are appointed on 4 year cycles.

I think deep down he's a good man but he appears to like the "showbiz" element of his life a wee bit too much.

On another note the monk who made the "candy floss" comment was a scary looking bloke, reminded me of a few priests at our school...shiver!

here comes 6

This man will get alot of support.  He sees the world moving on and leaving Rome behind. Fair play to this honourable man.    It might do no harm for Rome to sack him because it will then show what they really are.  Their way or no way

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

The bit where he was wearing tights made me feel ill.

Shamrock Shore

Only saw the last two minutes.

On one hand I admire him for his courageous spat with Cathal B on The Late Late a good while back on the church's attitude to child abuse. But I feel he sups too much from the celebrity trough and I don't think a working/serving priest is necessarily the best person to be a journalist.

Correct me if I am wrong but I always got the impression that he is profoundly unhappy as a priest (despite what he may say). Being shipped into a seminary aged 17 was wrong on so many levels.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Ulick on October 30, 2012, 07:43:06 AM
Read his latest article in the Sunday rag the other day. The arrogance of this man knows no bounds. The sooner he fecks off to Larne of wherever with other "progressives" like Pat Buckley and forms his own sect the better.
"And the Greatest of these is Charity..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_theological_virtues
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

From the Bunker

Ah, got the impression from his Late Late Show appearance/interview, that he was (as you expect) an nieve 17 year old who entered the seminary in September (in 1960's Ireland). Was hidden away from the real world till that christmas and probably brain washed to the hilt. He has been sexually abused twice, pre-teens and late teens. He has no money. No corner to call his own. All his earnings go to the church. In short on the outside he hangs out with the Celebs and looks to be having a ball, but in the background i'd say his life is quiet empty!

seafoid

Gaffer

He is milking this 'censorship' for all it is worth.

Wonder hat celebrity bash he is heading for this weekend!!!!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"