Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Zulu on July 05, 2019, 08:38:47 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on July 05, 2019, 06:16:27 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 05, 2019, 06:12:30 PM
That super 8's were brought in simply because attendances were dropping.
Yes and he was making an additional point that it was to get more competitive games for Dublin to draw in the crowds...

He said Dublin are destroying our games which isnt really true, but they are destroying the blue ribbon competition.

I don't see where he is saying it was brought in to get Dublin more competitive games and it wasn't brought in for that either.

Of course there's an issue with Dublin's dominance but the super 8's was brought in because people were dissatisfied with the old competitive format and after consulatation this was the proposal that was put to counties. That's the simple realtity and if anyone thinks the GAA top brass want Dublin waltzing to All Ireland after All Ireland they are not well.
Hi Zu, welcome back. You were missed. Problem with the bit I've bolded is that it's fine in theory but a whole different game in practice. It's a bit of a contradiction in words. In other words, it's an oxymoron- a bit like Microsoft Works. :D
IMO, people won't pay to see Dublin play at any cost. There must bee the possibility of a competitive game between evenly matched sides  as I can't see thousands upon thousands paying good money to see another game like the Leinster final.
Right now, what games might draw a bumper crow? I mean of course games involving the Dubs.
Mayo have gone off the boil. Kerry are some years aqy yet before they might be able to put it up to the Dubs and apart from that the only side I see who might make a competitive game of it is Donegal and there's no evidence that they are the real deal yet. I mean their league form wasn't all that impressive.
IMO, (again) is that John Costello and the suits at HQ are missing the point when they rush in to shore up Dublin. It's a case of short term game at the expense of long term loss.
BTW, the Dubs can't be blamed for this- any team in a similar position would do the very same and lap up all the goodies they can get/
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

priceyreilly

Quote from: Zulu on July 05, 2019, 08:38:47 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on July 05, 2019, 06:16:27 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 05, 2019, 06:12:30 PM
That super 8's were brought in simply because attendances were dropping.
Yes and he was making an additional point that it was to get more competitive games for Dublin to draw in the crowds...

He said Dublin are destroying our games which isnt really true, but they are destroying the blue ribbon competition.

I don't see where he is saying it was brought in to get Dublin more competitive games and it wasn't brought in for that either.

Of course there's an issue with Dublin's dominance but the super 8's was brought in because people were dissatisfied with the old competitive format and after consulatation this was the proposal that was put to counties. That's the simple realtity and if anyone thinks the GAA top brass want Dublin waltzing to All Ireland after All Ireland they are not well.

It was brought in because attendances were falling and they wanted extra revenue! And the problem is not Dublin's dominance in senior football, it's Dublin's financial doping which has had a major effect at all grades and codes.

From the Bunker

In a world where we did not have one team heavily financially doped, the Leinster Football championship would be a great competition.
In a world where we did not have one team heavily financially doped, the All Ireland Football championship would be a great competition.
In a world where we did not have one team heavily financially doped, the Super 8's would be a great competition.

kerryforsam19

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 06, 2019, 12:09:20 PM
In a world where we did not have one team heavily financially doped, the Leinster Football championship would be a great competition.
In a world where we did not have one team heavily financially doped, the All Ireland Football championship would be a great competition.
In a world where we did not have one team heavily financially doped, the Super 8's would be a great competition.

That is "divisive and mean spirited" comment  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

lenny

Dublin hurlers beat by Laois. Can anyone tell me how the money is divided in Dublin. Do the hurlers get no money? I would assume it's 50/50 with the football but I'm not sure. Where is the dominance in hurling for Dublin if it's all to do with money.

From the Bunker

Quote from: lenny on July 07, 2019, 10:11:14 PM
Dublin hurlers beat by Laois. Can anyone tell me how the money is divided in Dublin. Do the hurlers get no money? I would assume it's 50/50 with the football but I'm not sure. Where is the dominance in hurling for Dublin if it's all to do with money.

Did Dublin not beat Galway in championship a few weeks ago?

manfromdelmonte

Dublin hurlers away from Parnell Park are very average

Pity the footballers don't get the same treatment
4 games in a row for the Dubs footballers in Croker including a 'neutral' game
You couldn't make it up

johnnycool

Gym bunnies with an army of dieticians, shrinks, video analysts and all the rest does not a hurler make.

Dublin hurling hasn't dominated the underage hurling competitions like they have in football. The skill factor may be at play here.

8)

Dinny Breen

Quote from: johnnycool on July 08, 2019, 10:33:54 AM

Gym bunnies with an army of dieticians, shrinks, video analysts and all the rest does not a hurler make.

Dublin hurling hasn't dominated the underage hurling competitions like they have in football. The skill factor may be at play here.

8)

They tend to lose their better hurlers to football. Culture is not there. Play their fair share of away games. Galway entering Leinster has not helped. Still making excellent progress despite those barriers, without the funding they would be McDonagh.
#newbridgeornowhere

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 08, 2019, 11:23:26 AM

8)

They tend to lose their better hurlers to football. Culture is not there. Play their fair share of away games. Galway entering Leinster has not helped. Still making excellent progress despite those barriers, without the funding they would be McDonagh.
Westmeath beat Dublin in 2006
Laois beat Dublin in 2005

johnnycool

8)

Barring the Cuala lad who is an out and out fine hurler and a forward to boot, who else would add anything to them?

imtommygunn

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 08, 2019, 11:57:01 AM

8)

Westmeath beat Dublin in 2006
Laois beat Dublin in 2005

Antrim 2010ish too.

They are Improved massively but they do not have the ability to go for the jugular like the "traditional" counties. This leaves them open to these defeats.

In saying that though Eddie Brennan has brought on Laois massively. No other team at McDonagh level, and Carlow, would have come close to this.

shark

Quote from: johnnycool on July 08, 2019, 01:12:37 PM

8)

Barring the Cuala lad who is an out and out fine hurler and a forward to boot, who else would add anything to them?

Cormac Costello and Ciaran Kilkenny were outstanding underage hurlers. No idea if they still play club, but I presume they do.

imtommygunn

Connolly was fantastic too iirc

Jayop

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 08, 2019, 02:42:04 PM
Connolly was fantastic too iirc

Too late for him to switch now to hurling? Does he ever hurl with the club anymore?