The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: thewobbler on February 16, 2011, 09:22:39 PM
Haha, no hiace here Laois Lad, I've never got my hands dirty in my life!

Malone is where the bigwigs of Belfast society play. They don't particularly need visitors, and they've got an old style green jacket brigade who'll watch your every move from you enter the grounds until you tee off, to make sure you're worthy.

In truth, this shouldn't affect your experience, once you get out and about it's one if the most pleasant walks you'll ever enjoy, and the clubhouse grub is good. But if you're one of those fellas who gets unsettled by watching eyes, you could leave here feeling paranoid and upset!

I'm not that kind of person by the way.

Dunmurry, I haven't been there in 10 years and should really give it another rattle. I thought the pro was one of the biggest arseholes I've ever come across - but that may have had something to do with my studentish demeanour. My overriding memory of that round was dagger eyes everywhere.

Dunmurry booked.
Tony Baloney and Minder coming along for the craic.
Tony wants to bring the wife but I had to but a stop to that as Minder told me he fancies her so strictly Golf,beer and steak.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orior

Quote from: laoislad on April 11, 2011, 07:33:48 PM

Malone is where the bigwigs of Belfast society play. They don't particularly need visitors, and they've got an old style green jacket brigade who'll watch your every move from you enter the grounds until you tee off, to make sure you're worthy.

In truth, this shouldn't affect your experience, once you get out and about it's one if the most pleasant walks you'll ever enjoy, and the clubhouse grub is good. But if you're one of those fellas who gets unsettled by watching eyes, you could leave here feeling paranoid and upset!

Dunmurry, I haven't been there in 10 years and should really give it another rattle. I thought the pro was one of the biggest arseholes I've ever come across - but that may have had something to do with my studentish demeanour. My overriding memory of that round was dagger eyes everywhere.

Dunmurry booked.
Tony wants to bring the wife but I had to but a stop to that as Minder told me he fancies her so strictly Golf,beer and steak.

1. Aim left with your drive, or you'll get blocked out with your second. The green runs downhill
2. Keep your drive on the left side.
Be careful crossing the road.
3. Silly wee pitch
4. Good par 5
5. Shortish par 4, just keep it straight
6. Tough par 4. Needs a good drive with little fade, or a big fade on the second. Don't overdo the fade or you'll be donating a golf ball to Rathmore Grammar School.
7. Silly wee pitch
8. Have a look in water for a few of my old golf balls. Nice hole
9. Keep her straight
10. I'm lost. Think it's a straightish drive needed
11. Straight forward hole down the hill
12. Par 3 that always plays harder than it looks. The green tilts towards you.
13. Good par 5 – birdie chance
14. Two options. Either a 3-wood of the tee, but you will have trouble stopping the ball on the green. Or a driver of the tee, but needs to be straight with a delicate fade at the end
Be careful crossing the road. Cars fly down it.
15. This is the hole that everyone talks about. Take a 6 or 7 iron of the tee. Don't try to cut the corner. Then a long iron onto the green. I've seen boys reduced to tears on this hole.
16. Longish par 3
17. Keep it straight, for a simple par
18. Don't try to cut

Dunmurry provide towels in the changing rooms.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

leaveherinsir

They probably wont allow laoislad in!!!   :D :D

P.S. Wot happened the Reallaoislad ??

David McKeown

Dunmurry booked.

I never got that impression about Malone, they used to do a student rate of £50 a year membership for members of QUB's golfing society which you didnt need to be a student to be a member of.  Not sure if they still do that deal I havent been a member since 2008 (when i was still a student).  Always found the course and those there to be very pleasant and helpful
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Archie Mitchell

Anyone recommend any driving ranges around Belfast?

thewobbler

Mount Ober (beside the ski place) is the only one I can think of.

Orior

There's also one in Ballyrobert, Newtownabby. And another at Bradshaw's Bray, between Comber and Newtownards.

take_yer_points

Quote from: Orior on April 13, 2011, 02:13:30 PM
There's also one in Ballyrobert, Newtownabby. And another at Bradshaw's Bray, between Comber and Newtownards.

Are you thinking of Greenacres in Ballyrobert? There's also Ballyearl which isn't far away but is probably closer to Belfast

Joxer

http://www.andrewmorrisgolf.com/

Some great deals on the above site.  Bought a set of Burners a couple of weeks ago and they are top class!  Everything fitted before you buy if you choose.

Puckoon

International cell phone bills!!!  :o ??? :'(

Puckoon

And posting in the wrong thread grinds my gears too.

Bogball XV

lads, I have to get a gift for an occasional golfer who wants to become a frequent golfer.  He needs a new set of clubs, ordinarily i'd give him the money and let him choose where to buy them himself, but in this instance it has to be a voucher.  Where should that voucher be for, online or bricks and mortar? 

laoislad

Quote from: Orior on April 11, 2011, 08:41:10 PM

Dunmurry booked.

1. Aim left with your drive, or you'll get blocked out with your second. The green runs downhill
3. Silly wee pitch
4. Good par 5
6. Tough par 4. Needs a good drive with little fade, or a big fade on the second. Don't overdo the fade or you'll be donating a golf ball to Rathmore Grammar School.
7. Silly wee pitch
9. Keep her straight
14. Two options. Either a 3-wood of the tee, but you will have trouble stopping the ball on the green. Or a driver of the tee, but needs to be straight with a delicate fade at the end
15. This is the hole that everyone talks about. Take a 6 or 7 iron of the tee. Don't try to cut the corner. Then a long iron onto the green. I've seen boys reduced to tears on this hole.
16. Longish par 3
18. Don't try to cut

Just seen this now,thanks for the advice Orior.
Though I am more of a hit and hope type of golfer!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orior

Quote from: laoislad on April 13, 2011, 05:09:28 PM
Quote from: Orior on April 11, 2011, 08:41:10 PM

Dunmurry booked.

3. Silly wee pitch
4. Good par 5
7. Silly wee pitch
9. Keep her straight
16. Longish par 3
18. Don't try to cut

Just seen this now,thanks for the advice Orior.
Though I am more of a hit and hope type of golfer!

No bother. I just noticed a calamitous error on the first. I should have said stay on the right side of the fairway.