Cookstown Incident

Started by oakleaflad, March 18, 2019, 12:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

I have just read this thread from start to finish and can't believe what some of you have been posting and discussing.
3 young people have lost their lives in tragic circumstances and it's pathetic to read what some of you have been saying.
As pointed out previously there are a lot of Tyrone posters on here and we all have connections in one way or another
to those there, and to those who died.

Anyhow, what happened on Sunday night was a tragedy and a very dark day that has affected so many people, and
especially the 3 families who will have to bury their children tomorrow. Hundreds of teeneagers went out for a night
and they got caught up in a tragedy that will leave a deep scar for life.

I had 2 nephews who were there and thankfully they got out safely. Sadly one nephew was a good friend of one of those who died. They had been classmates from 4 years old, and played together over the years on under age teams. He is broken hearted. At one stage he had been talking to him in the crowd, and the next he saw him receiving CPR. Last night and tonight he was at his wake, and tomorrow he will be at his funeral.  What a brutal experience to go through, and he's not on his own.

There are a lot of questions to be asked, and hopefully, through time they will be answered, but for now, we are a community in mourning and we have 3 funerals tomorrow.

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Dougal Maguire

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought this thread had become very distasteful.
Careful now

gallsman

It's a discussion board lads. Discussion and debate is literally the entire point of things. Nobody is speaking ill of the dead, nobody is belittling the tragedy, nobody is trying to make light of anyone's suffering.

If this had happened in London, Berlin, Hong Kong, Sydney, New York etc nobody would be up in arms about anyone having such debate. The fact that it's so raw and close to home means we should be prepared to confront things even more, not less.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: gallsman on March 22, 2019, 06:32:02 AM
It's a discussion board lads. Discussion and debate is literally the entire point of things. Nobody is speaking ill of the dead, nobody is belittling the tragedy, nobody is trying to make light of anyone's suffering.

If this had happened in London, Berlin, Hong Kong, Sydney, New York etc nobody would be up in arms about anyone having such debate. The fact that it's so raw and close to home means we should be prepared to confront things even more, not less.

I accept what you are saying is true. For me personally, what I find distasteful is the caustic nature of some of the debate here. You've mentioned tragedy, which is exactly what it is. The personal nature of some of the exchanges suggest to me that the tragic circumstances are not foremost in the minds of those debating.

As stated, a personal opinion only. 

Orior

Should we talk about what happened so as to avoid it reoccurring? Or should that be left to the police? The Hillsborough thread did not end well for some posters
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gallsman

Quote from: Orior on March 22, 2019, 08:41:18 AM
Should we talk about what happened so as to avoid it reoccurring? Or should that be left to the police? The Hillsborough thread did not end well for some posters

Of course we should talk about it. I'd hope that anyone who has any privileged information that could prejudice any official investigation would have the wit to keep it to themselves.

The only thing connecting this incident to Hillsborough is the fact that people died in a crush. Other than that, the two incidents are not remotely alike and drawing parallels between them is ill-advised at best.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/vivacious-charismatic-and-energetic-teens-remembered-at-tyrone-funerals-1.3835063

Awful sad.

Reminds me of the Crossmaglen film. Oisin McConville's oldest brother died as a teenager. Things are never the same 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: gallsman on March 22, 2019, 08:51:58 AM
Quote from: Orior on March 22, 2019, 08:41:18 AM

Of course we should talk about it. I'd hope that anyone who has any privileged information that could prejudice any official investigation would have the wit to keep it to themselves.

The only thing connecting this incident to Hillsborough is the fact that people died in a crush. Other than that, the two incidents are not remotely alike and drawing parallels between them is ill-advised at best.

I think on the face of it the two tragedies are very similar.

Individuals who probably shouldnt have been where they are caused a crush.

Venue and staff may not have been following procedures to ensure the above didnt happen.

Innocent people die.

Cops fock it up.

GJL

Watched the coverage of the funerals on the news. Desperately sad for all involved. Will be very hard for the families to accept this has happened.

give her dixie

Connor Curries teammates huddle around his coffin today in Edendork.

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

BennyHarp

Quote from: give her dixie on March 22, 2019, 08:36:14 PM
Connor Curries teammates huddle around his coffin today in Edendork.

That's heart breaking!
That was never a square ball!!

Ty4Sam

Heartbreaking image. RIP to all three, hopefully all family and friends find the strength over the next while to help deal with this.

BennyCake

Jaysus it would break your heart watching the footage of the funerals and the photos. I can't begin to imagine what their families are going through.

Tony Baloney

Terrible thing to go through at that age. Whilst a powerful image IMO taking photos at funerals is very distasteful.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 22, 2019, 10:41:35 PM
Terrible thing to go through at that age. Whilst a powerful image IMO taking photos at funerals is very distasteful.

The press are only feeding off the back of things that will sell papers! Disgusting but as long as people will buy and watch this then they will continue to do it and they are well paid also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea