2009 Ashes

Started by lob her in lad, July 08, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Eng don't force the follow on. Could come back to haunt them

The Watcher Pat

Does that mean England have to bat next..Then if Australia can hold on until the 5 days are up its a draw?

Is that right? That seems to be the way i'm picking it up with my limited knowledge...
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

gawa316

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on July 18, 2009, 12:22:38 PM
Does that mean England have to bat next..Then if Australia can hold on until the 5 days are up its a draw?

Is that right? That seems to be the way i'm picking it up with my limited knowledge...

Eng could have forced Aus back into bat (which is the usually the norm) because they didn't get enough runs.

Instead Eng have decided to bat again trying to get a good, quick total leaving them as much time as they can to bowl out the aussies. As you say if the aussies can hold out it will be a draw, a la eng in the 1st test

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: gawa316 on July 18, 2009, 12:28:53 PM
Quote from: The Watcher Pat on July 18, 2009, 12:22:38 PM

Eng could have forced Aus back into bat (which is the usually the norm) because they didn't get enough runs.

Instead Eng have decided to bat again trying to get a good, quick total leaving them as much time as they can to bowl out the aussies. As you say if the aussies can hold out it will be a draw, a la eng in the 1st test

Right i have got it now...Everyone in Aus doing a rain dance at the min then..lol
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

gawa316

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on July 18, 2009, 12:58:07 PM

Right i have got it now...Everyone in Aus doing a rain dance at the min then..lol

Yeah you're probably right. Eng going along nicely at the min but they are always liable to a collapse of there own

deiseach

Quote from: gawa316 on July 18, 2009, 12:28:53 PM

Not following on means England's bowlers will be fresh when they face Australia again. There's logic to it but a few showers could ruin everything

magpie seanie

England closing in on the win. Aussies need 127, England only need 1 wicket.

gawa316

Bowled him.

Eng 1 up with 3 to play

magpie seanie

And that's that. Great win for England. Series bubbling up nicely now.

Mr. Nakata

Yes, happy days, comfortable in the end. 1-0 to England. The Aussies really need Brett Lee fit for the 3rd test.

Mr. Nakata

After watching the highlights of the cricket tonight, I have to say that was reminicent of summer '05. What an aggressive spell of fast bowling from Flintoff. Superb. 1st victory over the Aussies at Lords in 78 years, a real party atmosphere. If this summer's cricket is anything like '05 we're in for a treat. Edgbaston and Headingly up next, both intimidating test venues, great atmosphere generated.

A Quinn Martin Production

Pietersen out of rest of series after achilles operation.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

deiseach

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on July 20, 2009, 08:48:46 PM
After watching the highlights of the cricket tonight, I have to say that was reminicent of summer '05. What an aggressive spell of fast bowling from Flintoff. Superb. 1st victory over the Aussies at Lords in 78 years, a real party atmosphere. If this summer's cricket is anything like '05 we're in for a treat. Edgbaston and Headingly up next, both intimidating test venues, great atmosphere generated.

I really saw what people see in cricket during the 2005 Ashes series. The run chases from Australia and England in the 2nd and 4th Tests respectively were sport at their most compelling. Every ball was a funeral. It's a pity C4 lost the coverage.

Chrisowc

Quote from: deiseach on July 22, 2009, 04:54:02 PM
Quote from: Mr. Nakata on July 20, 2009, 08:48:46 PM

I really saw what people see in cricket during the 2005 Ashes series. The run chases from Australia and England in the 2nd and 4th Tests respectively were sport at their most compelling. Every ball was a funeral. It's a pity C4 lost the coverage.

Agree with that.  Loved their coverage although the odd 4.05 from Ascot during play got on my tits.  I think it is the same people who produced C4's coverage do the highlights on C5 now.

Shane Warne seems good value on Sky although it is still hard to beat radio commentary.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

deiseach

Quote from: Chrisowc on July 22, 2009, 05:54:57 PM
Shane Warne seems good value on Sky although it is still hard to beat radio commentary.

Hmm. The chuminess of it all gets a bit annoying. 'Blowers' and 'Aggers' . . . merciful hour