A very handy site for translating name into Irish for Team sheets etc

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 06, 2007, 09:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

QuoteTodays multicultural environment means that that this rule should be done away with

You are right. We should choose one language for us all to speak, play one game, wear the same clothes. Yes, that's what multi cultural means.

5 Sams

You've picked me up wrong Seanie. What I mean is you should be allowed to use whatever language you want and not be forced by some archaic rule to use one particular language.
The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

I have no time at all for this tokenism. I agree with Seanie of course that the use of Irish is to be supported and encouraged. I just don't think this carry on does that at all. On the contrary it does the language a disservice and enables the GAA to pretend that it's doing its bit for Irish when in reality it's doing the opposite by making a laughing stock of it.

There's no such thing as a translation of a name. A name is a name and doesn't have a language.

playwiththewind1st

Can anybody confirm the urban myth that when a guy called Fra Dick played for a club in Belfast, his Irish name on the teamsheet was shown as Proinsias O'Toole ??

dodo

Fivey - O Cuaig       

Wonder what the english for 'O Se' is.......

:P

rosnarun

a real damned if you do damned if you dont situation for the gaa. If after the english army/ruc  and croke park sell out they then abandoned Irish they may as weel be just Known as the AA from now on
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

EC Unique

I don't mind one way or the other with the names but I do get pissed off watching the Minor All Ireland final on TV cuz I can't understand a word of the commentary. I imagine I am the same most other viewers. Time for a change there I think!!

Armagh4SamAgain

I was just trying to be a help an now theres a hole row about it. i cant win  ???
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Tony Baloney

It's a really daft rule as it forces people to use what are essentially made up names e.g. Costello is blatantly a name of Italian descent yet this website says "Costello(e) - Mac Coisteala"!  ??? The list could go on - Comiskey is Polish, Barratt is French Norman etc. etc.

Either your name is as gaelige or it isn't - if it has been "anglicised" or has no traceability with gaeilge at all then it's just not your name! If you were being really pedantic it would be a small website if it only included names that aren't from Norse, Norman, Spanish, British descent! 

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 06, 2007, 04:36:25 PM
It's a really daft rule as it forces people to use what are essentially made up names e.g. Costello is blatantly a name of Italian descent yet this website says "Costello(e) - Mac Coisteala"!  ??? The list could go on - Comiskey is Polish, Barratt is French Norman etc. etc.

Either your name is as gaelige or it isn't - if it has been "anglicised" or has no traceability with gaeilge at all then it's just not your name! If you were being really pedantic it would be a small website if it only included names that aren't from Norse, Norman, Spanish, British descent! 

First sensible post i have seen from you Tony.......  ;D
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

Silky

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on April 06, 2007, 04:29:48 PM
I was just trying to be a help an now theres a hole row about it. i cant win  ???
You didn't start the row Armagh4SamAgain. It was a good post. Thanks.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rossfan

Quote from: EC Unique on April 06, 2007, 03:52:34 PM
I don't mind one way or the other with the names but I do get pissed off watching the Minor All Ireland final on TV cuz I can't understand a word of the commentary. I imagine I am the same most other viewers. Time for a change there I think!!
Maybe it's time for you to learn a biteen of Gaeilge instead? :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Pangurban

If i could widen this debate a little,without taking sides. There are many excellent G.A.A. administrators, who because of a lack of fluency in Irish, would be debarred from serving on the ulster Council,where all business is conducted As Gaelige. this can and often does result in mediocre men acquiring positions on the the basis of their command of the language and nothing else. On a lighter note, i once knew a Club Chairman who defended players on disciplinary charges in front of the County Board. His command and use of the language was so good that he never lost a case. The officers of the board never had a clue what he was saying, but were too ashamed to admit it, so they all nodded sagely in agreement

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Jezuz boys are we now taking apart our Association from the inside out!

Yes teamsheets have to be as gaelige, is that a problem!!!! For some yes, seemingly!, but why???

If we are now slagging of the Association because of the teamsheets then we are fcuked!

Our strength is in numbers, support, community and unity!!!
Tbc....