Club transfers

Started by SCFC, March 21, 2015, 03:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helix

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on October 18, 2016, 10:13:12 PM
Heard they are in discussions with two clubs about going to play with them, could end up that half go to each apparently

If it does happen I'm sure it would be determined by players where they go. A choice of Ballinakill, Clonad Ballypickas or Park ratheniska surely.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Ballyroan Abbey

Quote from: Helix on October 18, 2016, 10:19:04 PM
Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on October 18, 2016, 10:13:12 PM
Heard they are in discussions with two clubs about going to play with them, could end up that half go to each apparently

If it does happen I'm sure it would be determined by players where they go. A choice of Ballinakill, Clonad Ballypickas or Park ratheniska surely.

Fair point, realistically there should be a club for both hurling and football in every parish or between 2 parishes, if timahoe dont put in a team this will mean hurling gone from stradbally parish which would be a shame, although i do understand that the dominant sport in most parishes rules all i have my doubts that there wouldnt be 20 lads between emo, courtwood, killenard, ballybrittis and portarlington interested in playing hurling, likewise theres surely 20 lads intrestex in kicking ball between rathdowney/errill and ballacolla

Helix

I wonder is it possible they may retain as a junior a team and go as a gaels team to somewhere else I wonder, Ballinakill being suited as their arrangement with Slieve Margy is in place. Not sure if it would be possible for the likes of Clonad or Park Ratheniska in intermediate. I echo your point regarding no hurling team in Stradbally parish it would be a shame alright. Though at underage some timahoe players play with Park ratheniska and Clonad and some but very little from Stradbally. Of course when push comes to shove in later years football will most likely take precedent with the majority as is the status quo.

It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on October 18, 2016, 10:31:16 PM
quotes have my doubts that there wouldnt be 20 lads between emo, courtwood, killenard, ballybrittis and portarlington interested in playing hurling
Compulsory helmets finished our hurling team!  ;D
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Helix

[/quote]
Compulsory helmets finished our hurling team!  ;D
[/quote]

The softening of the game so it seemed with the helmets  8)
They've reintroduced hurling out in Portarlington at underage along with St Pauls. Be interesting how long it will last. It'll be the football that'll finish the hurling out there ::)

burdizzo

Yeah, I wonder how long Slieve Margy will last.

redsetanta

The likes of Slieve Margy and Graigue should be getting every bit of help available to ensure that hurling survives. They should be getting coaching sessions and grant specific aid if it's there.
A project like Slieve Margy should be helped and prevented from failing once there are willing hurlers involved. It can be very hard to keep things going if you are continually shipping heavy defeats so encouragement and support are key.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Helix

With the GAA course in IT Carlow and with the Slieve Margy and Graiguecullen being close to the college surely the likes of some Games officer might be of interest to help get hurling a better profile. Might be an interesting project to pursue in the college in terms of promoting hurling in the so-called football area and getting a few experienced lads on the course taking a few sessions and club mentors shadow some of the coaching skills (Fundamental ABC's and so on) . I know in Carlow town there was a new hurling club set up recently (Setanta if I'm not mistaken). The only way the hurling might have a chance of surviving if it is persistently carried out rather than having a hurl in the corner and picking it up occasionally.
Maybe it's all a pipe dream.

SCFC

I see Adam Ryan leaving Port for St Jude's. Pity.

SpeculativeEffort

How would this effect the c'ship structures? nobody relegated from intermediate downwards?

Helix

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on November 01, 2016, 04:35:02 PM
How would this effect the c'ship structures? nobody relegated from intermediate downwards?
You in the right forum Spec?

SpeculativeEffort

My question was about timahoe hurling being disbanded. Forgot there were a number of comments subsequently! 🙈

Helix

Seemingly all Timahoe want to do is drop down to have team in likes of Junior B or C. Problem is there's decent lads in the club who prefer the hurling over the football who's hurling needs aren't being met at all in the club. 13 lads to play an intermediate championship match second round vs camross this year and if even 2 or 3 hurling sessions in the entire year. Word is Timahoe wont let lads transfer and possibly a gaels team might be an option.
They are relegated to Junior A anyways for 2017. They have a Junior C team which they fielded prior to intermediate championship. If they dropped to Junior B or C that'd mean Mountmellick would stay up though I highly doubt that would happen. What could possibly happen if possible that a gaels team with possibly Clonad at intermediate in 2017. A suggestion. No more than that at the moment. I know lads from Timahoe tried to transfer about 6 years ago when Clonad were stronger in intermediate but was rejected.

Ballyroan Abbey

Heard that they have been approached about amalgamating their hurling team with one of their neighbours, about 5 of them who play on the inter football team have threatwned to walk altogether if this doesnt happen or they arent allowed play somewhere

Helix

Probably Ballypickas if an amalgamation is the case. Though an gaels team with Clonad or Park Ratheniska could be possible. The'd keep their junior A team and be able to play at intermediate hurling with potential to go at higher grade.