Louth Club Football and Hurling

Started by pedro, August 12, 2007, 11:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedro

QuoteWith the Brides you need to rack up a good lead fast else you will be in trouble. They are a hard bet team, and no one ever seems to beat them by much even though they would not have many good footballers.

Thats one thing I really like about the Brides, they dont have the best players around but they get the best out of what they have and don't do any whinging anout it.  They hit, get hit and play on.

QuoteWhat is the story with Goss? Is he fit? Next week will depend on Paddy Keenan. While the Pats are far from a one man show, Keenan is a class act with the ability to win games by himself.

Well goss, being goss, is as fit as we would like and he has been relatively injury free all year so we're happy enough with him. On the other hand, PK is a worry. He still has a groin injury and hasn't trained since we played Glyde in a league match about 3-4 weeks ago. To win the championship we definitely need him at full tilt.

QuoteAs for McKenna, no different from last year. To think he is on the inter county circuit is unreal. So many mistakes. What did you make of the two men tackles?

He's on the inter-county circuit!!? that is a joke!! The two men tackles were a joke, fair enough if a lad gets hit let the play go on, or if there is a bit of rough play let them get on with it but the amount of times a player was surrounded by two (sometimes three) players and getting fouled only to get blown up for overcarrying was ridiculous, I'd say it could have been into double figures!!

Louth Exile, what do you make of the Joes chances against the Sean O'Mahoneys?? It would be some fall for grace for the club after last years heroics if they go down. Has this ever happened before??

Also lads, while at the Cooley/Blues game listening to the Blues and other neutrals giving out about Cooley (particularly their roughhouse tactics on Judge) got me thinking... Who are the most hated club in the county??

Obviously being biased I am going to say Cooley but I would nearly have the Glyde up there as well. There always seems to be a bit of a scuffle in all their games and the crying and whinging they do to the ref and each other would sicken ya!! Having said that, I know there are a few clubs who wouldn't be the best of friends with the Pats either!!
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

Louth Exile

1. Joes relegation situation:
I am not aware of it happening before, I'd imagine there should be some reference to it in either Argus or Democrat tomorrow as to whether this might be a first or not! With all due respect to the O'Mahonys, if the Joes can't beat them they don't deserve to be senior and this is common sentiment around the parish. A bit of history for ye lads...
1984- Joes made their first SFC final against the Fechins after being promoted the previous year, they lose the final and finish bottom of the league, going back down to intermediate until they won the championship in 1990.
1994 - lose the SFC final after a replay by two points to the Parnells. Having thought they were safe in the league, field a weakend team against Roche, all goes wrong from there on in and end up in a three way relegation playoff, getting the short straw the other two teams get two chances to avoid relegation, when Roche lose this first game they end up playing the Joes for the relegation spot. I'll never forget the game, it was in the clans on a dark Saturday afternoon, losing by two points with time pretty much up Ollie hoisted one in from 50 yards out, Alan O'Connor leapt into the air at the edge of the square and the 'hand of god' buried it to the net and kept us safe. I'll never forget that feeling, at time I thought it was better than sex (but I was a young fella, maybe I was just doing it wrong!)
This year and last... you know that story yourselves.

Championship finals and relegation have seemed to go hand in hand with the Joes!! It was always said that we were a championship team and with the current championship format have five group games... you know the rest. Maybe we have a certain arrogance that we are too good for the drop? What do you think lads, I'd be interested in your thoughts?

2. Most hated team in the county?
Everyone is going to have Cooley up their, but on a personal note it would be Glyde No.1 The darver lads in the parish and particularly the ones from around Duffy's cross can't stand them. Last thursday confirmed to me how bad their supporters are, because I wasn't doing any cheering at the game I could listen to just how putrid the S**te that comes out of their mouths is. Its only recently that I realised that there is a fair amount of ill will towards them around the county.

Because of our poor record against them in the championship we would not have been sorry to see the Parnells going down. In 13 most recent championship meetings the only win we have against them is the 1996 final!! Whereas we never appreciated their more physical brand of football and if it had not been for them we certainly would have won more in the 90's and the fact that they are a neighbouring parish... we actually wouldn't have much bad blood. Joes and Parnell boys would get on very well off the field.

We would have no ill feelings towards to either the Pats or Marys. The only thing I would have against the Marys is that you beat us in the 1995 semi final and delayed my holiday into the bargain! The Joes and Pats I think are quiet similar clubs, both have only 2 championships and have met each other in a couple of championship finals. I will be at the game on Sunday and will probably go for the Pats because I think you probably deserve it more than Mattock at the moment.

(that reminds me, there used to be some fierce fights with the Joes and mattock in the early to mid eighties, but that is all history now and there'd be no problem between the clubs)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Louth Exile

That is a hell of one Mid Louth alright, not too many would say that they wouldn't mind Cooley winning!

I thought the word would be out there about Ollie, you are right about 12 months in China, unfortunately he had to go the Thursday before the Mattock game! No doubt he is a massive loss, he is only 32 but has had to mind the beef string for the last couple of years. Despite having to mind himself I think the stats showed that he was on the ball more than any other player in last years final! The blues game was probably his last ever game and it was a good one. Skid is still moving well and we might get another year out of him, I'd have him on the forty tommorow night, it would give John O'Brien plenty to think about!

What are relations like between the Marys and the neighbouring junior sides? There is normally plenty of action there during the transfers.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

pedro

Pats at 3/1  :o I remember the last time we were at those odds and we flopped big time (along with losing a wad of cash!)
I would have us at slight favourites but no way that strong!

As far as i know about Charlie, he has had serious trouble with injuries and although he has been a fantastic servant to Louth (i don't think we have replaced him in the middle either) he really struggled to make an impact in many games this year. Would be very sorry to see him go as he is a nice lad and always gave everything for the cause. I particularly remember his run up the line last year against Tyrone, getting tackled by two men and still beating them, crossing the ball to Stanfield who pointed.
This was just after Tyrone got the two goals. Just showed the sort of never-say-die attitude he has
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

Louth Exile

GUTTED  :'( :'(
Sean O'Mahonys - 0-12, St Josephs - 0-9
Not able to say any more than that

pedro

ah what a great day to be a Pats man!! Feels great after last nites performance, the buzz about the place was great and the lads really done us proud. Great game of football, played at a serious pace and was a much higher standard than the previous nites game. As for Paddy, what more can he do?? Unless he scores 5 points from midfield people will say he didnt play great. Sure himself and Paudie lorded it at midfield. its good to see that the rest of the team is beginning to stand up and not try to leave everything to PK.

As for the final there will be some sh!te talk the next two weeks but sure thats all part of it!! Let it roll!

5ive Times, you a Gers man or whats your connection? you follow much Louth football?

pedro

While I definitely have no problem with the do for the men of '57 but is it just me or is there some celebration or other nearly every year for this team??
I have the utmost respect for them and fair play but was there not somethin similar run over the last couple of years?

Any word on where the final is to be played? With Pats and Cooley in the senior and the Gers and Young Irelands in the minor I presume it will be at a north Louth venue. Personally I hope its in Dowdallshill, always great atmosphere there for the Pats/Cooley games.

What would be the view on the minor? I wouldnt have followed any of the minor football but by all reports both teams appear to have a few handy footballers

QuoteI have a feeling for Cooley though.

5ive Times we could have a falling out with talk like that!!  :D

Louth Exile

Ah didn't know that about the 57 night. They also had a reception in Croker before the Wicklow game, they deserve them all, its good that Dermot was able to attend the other two functions

I didn't realise that about the minors, amazing that clubs of that size, population and success are not contributing to the minor panel. Sounds like a bad set up alright.

Louth Exile

I think that is a fair point on the minors, Joes made the semis and not one lad on the panel!! Peter Brennan kicked 6 points last Sunday, four of them from play has made it onto the Senior team (can't say that for too much longer :'() Nial Henry made his championship debut this year and had a good game against no less a player than Hugh Mc Ginn and then there is Dara Smyth (Cian's younger brother) One of these would have been worthy to make the panel.

Yeah, Charlie made the announcment in the dressing rooms after the game on Thursday. He kinda felt that he has been struggling since the injury earlier in the year, he just hasn't been right this year and felt it was time. He has been a great servant to club (s) and county.

pedro

well they're fair points lads, maybe i'm just seein it from a different angle because i know there's no players from our club up to that level.

Sad to see Farrelly play his last championship game in what was a loss in relegation but it was forthcoming, a pity because, barring injuries, he would still offer a lot to club and county.

Is there any truth in the rumour that Cooley are appealing to Leinster Council in order to get Sean O'Neills red card rescinded?? I hear they caused war at the county board meetin the other night about it?? Obviously I would hate to see him getting it but if it was one of our players and there was some sort of loophole to get him off I'm sure we'd go down the same road.

I see in the paper there was trials matches for Louth '08 tonight. Any word on these? Who was asked etc.?

Louth Exile

Cooley should take their medicine!! Typical

I have to say, I think it is wild early to be planning for next year, even if it is just looking at fringe players.

Just something I was wondering on the way into work this morning, which club has been the longest in the Senior grade?? I figure it has to be either Cooley, Blues or Marys. Any ideas lads?

pedro

i know by right Cooley should accept the punishment but in fairness this is one area which the GAA as a whole needs to tighten up on. There have been too many high profile cases of players getting suspensions overturned which only serves to permeate down to club level. If it was our club and say Paddy K or Colin Goss was out I'm pretty sure they would look into getting them off. It may not be right but most clubs will do it. I imagine the Mary's would do it if it was Darren Clarke, same with the Joes with Ollie Mc.

Longest club senior?? I'm sure it has to be between the Blues and Cooley but thats only cuz they have the most history.

LE it does seem to be early to be starting for next year but maybe the work has to be done behind the scenes to try and find a few players that could get us to the next level. I still don't know who they are or where they come from though.

Louth Exile

If I get what you two are saying... you can foget about it ML, sure he'd have to go to the Joes if he was moving  :D

Anyway, I'm a fan of Eamonn Mc myself but I do believe he definitely had them back too early last year and you could see it in their performances in the championship when they looked like a tired team at times. It was good that they got a second wind in the qualifiers. I think part of problem here was that we were actually play Div 1 and he wanted to hit the ground running!

I know Melia is a fantastic trainer and he certainly was a big part in working the oracle in my own club last year. But I do know that he put the county lads through some heavy sessions in between games this year! Which didn't seem to make sense, but I believe that is what the manager wanted.

He has my vote of confidence, as pointed out, you are always going to get as already pointed out eg. Big Joe. Before this year there were plenty in Monaghan moaning about the Banty!! What do they think now

Louth Exile

Pedro, I think that it is time that you got an avatar, I say this cause I found a good one for you  :D :D

http://www.thepats.ie/images/Social/final06/final22.jpg

pedro

Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 14, 2007, 11:22:33 AM
Should have said next year may be his last. I think he has gone as far as he can with this panel.
By the way this is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of anyone else, if you know what I mean.

I think thats a bit harsh 5ive times, you said earlier that Louth had a dire year but they still were a kick of a ball away from beating Cork, I reckon we would beat Sligo and then played Meath in a semi final. Thats hardly A dire year. However, I do think something went amiss during the league this year. We started off brilliantly and then stumbled through the rest of it. Whether this was down to the training the lads were doin i don't know.
I really think the Louth fans are unreal fickle. I mean, what had we got before we had eamonn? We were in the BOTTOM 3 in Ireland. Although we are in Div. 3 next year we stiull made it to the last twelve and we know we can compete with some of the bigger teams in Ireland. At this stage what more can Eamonn do? We are progressing but unless we win te All-Ireland people are gonna complain no matter who is the manager.

Quote from: Louth Exile on September 14, 2007, 12:39:49 PM
Pedro, I think that it is time that you got an avatar, I say this cause I found a good one for you  :D :D

http://www.thepats.ie/images/Social/final06/final22.jpg

Classic!! This photo actually surfaced recently in the dressing rooms, I'm sure Goss came in for plenty of abuse. Sayin that I wouldnt mess with him when he is in that sort of mood!