Irish News

Started by WT4E, July 21, 2014, 04:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

I was dissapointed in the Irish news too, I dont see how that news article in any way is going to help Fr Rory, yes he broke a vow but to be splashed all over the front page for everyone to read about it and be publicly humiliated is hardly the right way to help him?
It didnt seem to mention in the article all the good work he has done and I am sure there are plenty of people who would stand up and defend him, at the end of the day he made a mistake but he isn't a criminal and there are far worse people in the world.
Priesthood is not an easy life at the end of the day and I'm not sure we should be driving people away from considering doing it with treatment of people like this.

I am a practising catholic but I still disagree with much of the churches teachings, I don't think that makes me any less of a catholic but I cannot agree with how some groups are treated as outsiders and also I think some of the rules are very old fashioned although some I have tried to stick to. I have plenty of friends who aren't practising catholics just for the reason that its too strict and does not move with the times.

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: T Fearon on May 18, 2016, 07:07:30 AM
What did you expect a newspaper,whose main purpose is a commercial one,to do,with a story that is highly newsworthy? Once again the blame lies with the priest.The right thing to do was for him to resign from the priesthood before advertising on a gay website.That way all the hurt to himself,his family and parishioners would have been avoided.Instead by not disclosing his occupation on his profile,he was trying to lead a double life.

That is where we disagree then, because I don't think the story is highly news worthy at all.  It is the publishing of the article itself which I feel is a bigger talking point.

bennydorano

I'm amazed that people are surprised / disappointed  that the Irish News ran the story, I really am. What would you expect a newspaper to do with such a story, sit on it because it's a priest? If had've came to light at a future date that they did, there would have been an outcry that they're in the pocket of the RC Church. Cant have it both ways.

easytiger95

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 17, 2016, 11:43:24 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on May 17, 2016, 04:31:19 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on May 17, 2016, 02:34:48 PM
the misquoted lines on about women "speaking in church" is not about a woman remaining silent. If you actually read the letters and read them in context and understand the timing, the recipients and they "why" you would get the meaning.
He was talking about "speaking" in the context of a woman giving the homily. It refers many times to how women should "pray" in church/gatherings and of course this involves speaking.  The "speaking" that is not allowed is preaching or giving a homily  - which the Church holds to today. Only ordained priests or deacons can do that (men).

Lads, this isn't a does God exist thread.  It's about articles in the Irish News, most recently the ones on Fr. Rory.  Sex outside of marriage is not allowed by the Church he signed up to, the Church he swore oaths and made promises to. He has been living a double life and if he wants to act out on his attractions then he is in the wrong role.

Whilst an understanding of the context of the quotes thrown about here is welcome Iceman, I'd step carefully before I'd let myself be perceived as a defender of the whitest of white sepulcheres on the board. Pointing out TF's hypocrisies is a spectator sport around here.

With regard to your second point, I think most people on the board would consider you an honest broker in these conversations, as you usually argue (eloquently) from your personal faith. I certainly understand and would have a certain sympathy with the logical position that the priest is a symbolic figure as well as a community figure, and devout parishioners deserve a man who embodies the precepts of the Catholic Church in his personal life as well as his public one. After all, when you boil it down, any church is a club, and you know the rules before you join up.

But in accepting that, I'd also point out that there is a logical gap between the Church's attitude towards this, and Jesus' own attitude towards sinners - "judge not lest ye be judged" - which many Catholics on here, with personal experience of the man, would espouse. That indicates to me (as there has probably always has been) a large disparity between the preachings of the Church and the practice of the flock. At the core of that is understanding, and compassion for the weakness in others and ourselves. If the Church displayed more of this, and reserved their righteous anger for those who deserved it ie abusive priests, then I think we would see more competition for seats on a Sunday.

Tiger, The clergy of the church are often not the best example setters to church doctrine themselves, and when they arent its highlighted with great aplomb in the media because every loves to castigate a hypocrite. However this not mean that the church is not forgiving or welcoming of sinners. In fact there its a sacrament devoted to it and an acknowledgement at the start of mass that we are all sinners including the clergy,most pious Catholics and everyone else.

Iceman, the "does God Exist?" thingy is thrown up to people of faith constantly on this website by people with anti clergy feeling. Its idiotic to bring it up I agree when its relevance is zlitch to the point. However at the same time I still cant over the faith displayed by these people who claim to lack it that there is no God, their faith in other fields, and their point blank refusal to accept this point.
Joe, I think my point was more towards what seems to be a disparity of response in the Church towards different transgressions.

With regard to Father Rory's plight, I'd see the enforcement of the celibacy rule for both heterosexual and homosexual priests as an unnatural thing - human sexuality is a part of all of us and the denial of it has consequences. I'm not sure what action the Church will take as far as Fr Rory goes, and as I've said before, it is their club and they can kick anyone out of it. I also note Rufus focusing on the betrayal that some of his parishoners must be feeling now - there are no easy answers for the Church here, and I feel some sympathy for the authorities.

However - and it is a big however - inside this club, that Fr Rory still wants to be a part of, as does his flock, is a cohort of evil abusers, who have never been threatened with the same punishments as dissenters on doctrine. Worse, the board of this club has many members who actively sheltered these evildoers, and by doing so, facilitated their crimes. And they have never taken responsibility for their historical actions, and whilst they maintain that position, they give implicit permission for others to do the same now. I do not think that those people specifically should be in any position to judge someone like Fr  Rory, whatever the rules of the club are.

It all reminds me of Groucho Marx's great auote - "I wouldn't want to a member of any club that would accept people like me as a member"

Oldhacker

It is entirely understandable that considerable sympathy exists for Fr Rory but some posters seem to be unclear about the key issues in his case. His story has been pretty widely reported, and one tabloid yesterday set out how he sent naked images of himself as well what were described as `racy messages' to a young man who turned out to have been a former student at the named college where Fr Rory is the chaplain. Fr Rory is not only a priest but more to the point is a school governor as well as a chaplain and described himself as a lecturer on his messages to the Grindr website, which most people will be aware exists for a specific reason. No lecturer, governor or chaplain is likely to get away with that kind of behaviour, regardless of gender or orientation. Others can debate the contradictions involved in his role as a priest but the posters who suggest that he has somehow been a victim of media bullying are taking a very benign view of his actions.

T Fearon

No one is judging anyone.Quite simply the mission of a Priest is to lead his flock to salvation.This cannot be done if a Priest himself cannot adhere to beliefs which are grounded in Scripture.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Oldhacker on May 18, 2016, 10:48:44 AM
It is entirely understandable that considerable sympathy exists for Fr Rory but some posters seem to be unclear about the key issues in his case. His story has been pretty widely reported, and one tabloid yesterday set out how he sent naked images of himself as well what were described as `racy messages' to a young man who turned out to have been a former student at the named college where Fr Rory is the chaplain. Fr Rory is not only a priest but more to the point is a school governor as well as a chaplain and described himself as a lecturer on his messages to the Grindr website, which most people will be aware exists for a specific reason. No lecturer, governor or chaplain is likely to get away with that kind of behaviour, regardless of gender or orientation. Others can debate the contradictions involved in his role as a priest but the posters who suggest that he has somehow been a victim of media bullying are taking a very benign view of his actions.

I think the point we are all making is that had he been from some other walk of life it is unlikely that this would have been in the IN let alone the front page. It is an example of the unhealthy interest some people have in the sex lives of others.

bennydorano

Paul Berry anyone? Dont remember anything other than a pisstaking session here about it, certainly wasn't much sympathy.

armaghniac

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 18, 2016, 11:20:14 AM
Quote from: Oldhacker on May 18, 2016, 10:48:44 AM

I think the point we are all making is that had he been from some other walk of life it is unlikely that this would have been in the IN let alone the front page. It is an example of the unhealthy interest some people have in the sex lives of others.

I think it is appropriate for newspapers to identify hypocrisy, just  if they write about Gerry Adams having private medical treatment in the US it is more about showing cases of saying one thing and doing another rather than an interest in illness per se. If you choose a role in which you make a statement about something then it is legitimate to point out that you are not doing what you say others should do.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

longballin

Quote from: bennydorano on May 18, 2016, 11:22:45 AM
Paul Berry anyone? Dont remember anything other than a pisstaking session here about it, certainly wasn't much sympathy.

aye nasty piece of work Berry... maybe that's why

T Fearon

It is a duty and in the commercial interests of newspapers to report newsworthy items.Look at the case of Colin Howell and Hazel Stewart.Not only news but book and TV series.

Longshanks

Quote from: T Fearon on May 18, 2016, 12:43:00 PM
It is a duty and in the commercial interests of newspapers to report newsworthy items.Look at the case of Colin Howell and Hazel Stewart.Not only news but book and TV series.

I give up, are you actually in some way comparing the two???

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on May 18, 2016, 12:43:00 PM

Believers is god, and look were that got them?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

T Fearon

Exactly.If they had been unemployed atheists there would have been little or no interest.

screenexile

Quote from: T Fearon on May 18, 2016, 01:46:56 PM
Exactly.If they had been unemployed atheists there would have been little or no interest.

Now you're just telling lies. . . some practising dentist kills his wife and his mistresses husband in Ballymoney and you don't think it would be interesting?

The Baptist thing has only come into it since the TV series really because it's creepy as f**k but it's an interesting story no doubt!