The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 03, 2019, 08:24:53 AM
I think the penalty was an incorrect decision. White pulling her leg back to shoot was what caused the contact. Surely a defender doesn't have to get out of the way to let her shoot? If we're saying she has to then where are we going. This "there was contact" rubbish - if that's the criteria there are literally hundreds of penalties each game. This incident was the same as when an attacker moves their leg to initiate contact when looking for a penalty.

USA were the better team but I feel they ran themselves into the ground and were hanging on somewhat towards the end. Someone called Alex Morgan a diver above - she's a magnificent striker. Everythnig about her play was fantastic. She did exaggerate a few times granted but this competition has shown a marked absence of the scandalous carry on that's the norm in the mens game.

Also disagreed totally with Phil Neville on the ref. Thought she was excellent throughout bar the penalty decision (though I accept she may have done what refs are told to do - I'd disagree with the instruction). Phil has done a good job. Their best WC ever and within a hares breath of at least taking a superior side to extra time. He got a lot of unwarranted shit when he took the job, glad for him he has proved people wrong.

Agree with this. Not a penalty for me as the first action was by the striker, it should nt be up to the defender to get out of the way. Ironically I can see how it could have been given at full speed but not after review, obviously the opposite of what happened.

It made me think of another potential VAR issue. Player going through on goal, defender slides in, misses the ball because the player jumps over the tackle. As a result the striker looses their balance and ball runs away. Penalty or not?

NAG1

I don't see how you are disputing the penalty lads.

It was a very difficult one to spot in open play so no blame on the ref there, but as the striker pulled her foot back to shoot the defender clips her ankle.
Accidental or not it doesn't matter, it was a penalty. The English girl was denied a clear strike on the goal therefore can't be anything other than a penalty.

It literally doesn't matter one jot if she ran in front of the defender, she was clipped in the action of striking the ball.

That being said the level of officiating at the tournament has been bang average at best.

TabClear

Quote from: NAG1 on July 03, 2019, 08:48:35 AM
I don't see how you are disputing the penalty lads.

It was a very difficult one to spot in open play so no blame on the ref there, but as the striker pulled her foot back to shoot the defender clips her ankle.
Accidental or not it doesn't matter, it was a penalty. The English girl was denied a clear strike on the goal therefore can't be anything other than a penalty.

It literally doesn't matter one jot if she ran in front of the defender, she was clipped in the action of striking the ball.

That being said the level of officiating at the tournament has been bang average at best.

But it was her motion that caused her to be clipped so in effect did she "kick" the defender when the defender was simply running in a straight line?  Why should the forward  be deemed to be the injured party?

I do think this is a very tricky one however

HiMucker

Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2019, 05:38:45 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 02, 2019, 11:01:38 PM
VAR needs to be written off as a failed experiment. Yes to goal line tech, no to VAR.

The problem isn't VAR, it's the rule. She was offside. VAR allowed the ref to make the correct decision.

The real question is whether that should be the correct decision.
Thats a fair point. With VAR the attacker no longer gets the benefit of the doubt. If using VAR for offside they should go back to the clear daylight rule IMO. It will mean more goals as well.

Kidder81

I wonder does Neville get a go at any of the players

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Kidder81 on July 03, 2019, 09:57:51 AM
I wonder does Neville get a go at any of the players

If he changed his name to Philomena then probably.

imtommygunn

What was she meant to do though other than pull her leg back to take a shot? (I don't think that's exactly what happened to be honest but say it was you can't not go for a shot because someone is there - it's not like a hook in hurling...)

Main Street

Quote from: gallsman on July 03, 2019, 05:40:09 AM
Quote from: Main Street on July 03, 2019, 01:03:05 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on July 03, 2019, 12:29:48 AM
The penalty decision was correct. The defender might not have meant it but there was contact so it is a definite penalty. The penalty itself was one of the worst  I have seen in such a crucial situation.
So if an attacking player runs into a defender or an outstretched foot and falls over, it's a penalty?

Intent is not the question in this situation, it does not come into the equation, it's a question of who tripped who.

But that's not what happened, is it? White was in front of the American defender.
The trailing leg stretched a fair way behind her to make contact with the defender. With a video assisted decision it's not so clear cut, there's is a doubt. I'd say the ref thought it was a penalty in real time and saw enough in the video replays to justify her decision and not enough to change  her decision.

Boycey

TabClear

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 03, 2019, 10:29:03 AM
What was she meant to do though other than pull her leg back to take a shot? (I don't think that's exactly what happened to be honest but say it was you can't not go for a shot because someone is there - it's not like a hook in hurling...)

I suppose that's my point, Nobody is saying she cannot take the shot but it should not be up to the defender to move. Why is it just not fair contact (it is a contact sport) and no foul?

imtommygunn

valid question. It just feels like a foul to me but I am not sure the exact specifics of the rules on this kind of thing. If you went to kick in Gaa and couldn't because someone was running in and you couldn't swing your leg would that not also be a foul?

TabClear

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 03, 2019, 10:54:01 AM
valid question. It just feels like a foul to me but I am not sure the exact specifics of the rules on this kind of thing. If you went to kick in Gaa and couldn't because someone was running in and you couldn't swing your leg would that not also be a foul?

Honestly dont know the answer to this. Agree with you that it does seem like a foul and is usually given. Especially at is relatively easy for a defender to "accidentally" run behind someone but it does seem to create a hierarchy of types of contact that I'm not clear how it is addressed in the rules in either sport. I think the incident last night is more difficult because the touch was so minimal, does the rulebook specify how forceful contact must be? You often hear commentators saying "not enough contact to make him go down" but how is that addressed?

Who would be a ref!  :D :D

imtommygunn

Lol. Exactly. A lot of it open to interpretation. Var is a good thing but even it is flawed with the France USA game being an example. France should have had a penalty but the referee didn't deem it should go to var. (should have had based on modern bs handball rules might I add)

Main Street

That Neville talks a lot of tosh, he's on at half time show this evening  saying that England are the most (or one of the most) consistant team in the world, more consistant than Germany who Neville claims are up and down.
What an utter idiot!
Germany tournament record
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany_women%27s_national_football_team#Tournament_record
2 x WC champions   1 x OL champions  8 x Euro champions

England have a decent record of reaching group stages and sometimes the last 8,   but somehow they magically transform into world beaters when they go out in the semis ::)

Over the Bar

Quote from: Main Street on July 03, 2019, 09:12:09 PM
That Neville talks a lot of tosh, he's on at half time show this evening  saying that England are the most (or one of the most) consistant team in the world, more consistant than Germany who Neville claims are up and down.
What an utter idiot!
Germany tournament record
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany_women%27s_national_football_team#Tournament_record
2 x WC champions   1 x OL champions  8 x Euro champions

England have a decent record of reaching group stages and sometimes the last 8,   but somehow they magically transform into world beaters when they go out in the semis ::)

Manager in talking up his team shocker!    :o  You'll be telling us Kieran McGeeney thinks Armagh should be in the Super 8s next... :D