More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiser

Quote from: Orangemac on January 23, 2012, 08:22:32 PM
Whatever about who started it and there were plenty of people on Whineline with Joe Duffy today with opinions (some of whom were not even at the game) on it, the GAA needs to take a stand on this.

Any club whose supporters or substitutes are involved in any kind of on field assault should automatically be banned from competiton for a year.This piecemeal banning supporters is a waste of time. There has to be some kind of marker laiid down.

Every club will circle the wagons when this happens but the GAA needs to come up with some kind of answer for this instead of worrying about managers getting paid.

Completely agree, disgraceful scenes, whatever happened between the players is bad enough but when 'fans' come jumping in it becomes very dangerous.  Derrytresk should be kicked out of the tournament.  that was pure thuggery, obviously with Kerry v Tyrone undertones

squire_in_navy_slacks

Animals, were do these lads come from.......................the fat chap with the bib, whats he even doing on the sideline, what could a guy with that kinda waistline contribute to a team..................................too many animals on the sidelines now with club jackets and bibs, not remotely involved with the game................. ban the lot of them

Whishtup

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on January 23, 2012, 08:34:39 PM
Animals, were do these lads come from.......................the fat chap with the bib, whats he even doing on the sideline, what could a guy with that kinda waistline contribute to a team..................................too many animals on the sidelines now with club jackets and bibs, not remotely involved with the game................. ban the lot of them

It's not all perma-tan and gym-monkeys, y'know! ;)

stephenite

Any clubs that have substitutes, selectors, managers, water boys, medical staff involved in altercations on the pitch should be thrown out of all competitions for 12 months.

I couldn't give a f**k about their underage teams, perpetuating this sort of behavior into the next generation is more of a threat to the organization than losing one generation from one club to another sport. As an organization we currently do not have the will to impose proper discipline, youngsters are better off playing rugby where they will rather than seeing scenes like this or the many others that have occurred over the past few years, referees being assaulted and abused etc.

Collectively, as a national organization we're a disgrace

tyronefan

Quote from: hardstation on January 23, 2012, 08:42:17 PM
Is that all there is? Is that what Dromid are whinging about? It wasn't that bad and was started by a Dromid man. Jesus Christ wise up!

and sense prevails

onefaircounty

I will love the 'typical BBC' sidestep that will appear over the next few days. Pathetic.

As for the row, to be condemed but tame enough.

thewobbler

Whether it was a light dusting or a full scale brawl isn't the issue for me. The fact that a number of GAA folk can't see any harm in subs, officials and spectators invading a pitch and squaring up to each other is much more concerning.

I don't like sanitised sport and my favoured type of GAA match involves two teams cutting each other to pieces. But once the extras get involved, it's no longer a case that all's fair in a sporting arena - it is nothing less than public unrest.

AZOffaly

That was going to be nothing until the subs came in. A right few sneaky belts then when they had weight of numbers. Dromid 9 and 10 were both cold cocked. Not as bad as made out on Joe Duffy but subs coming in is out of order IMO .

INDIANA

Quote from: Whishtup on January 23, 2012, 08:22:13 PM
What constitutes having a go?  Talking, running towards?  Fronting up?  He definitely wasn't swinging his arms.  Do you agree?

Fronting up in tyrone club football terms means pistols at dawn. Squaring up probably means punching the chops off each other.

Tyrone club football would want to take a long good hard look at itself and what it tolerates.

Too many incidents at this stage.

Whishtup

Quote from: INDIANA on January 23, 2012, 08:57:21 PM
What constitutes having a go?  Talking, running towards?  Fronting up?  He definitely wasn't swinging his arms.  Do you agree?

Fronting up in tyrone club football terms means pistols at dawn. Squaring up probably means punching the chops off each other.

Tyrone club football would want to take a long good hard look at itself and what it tolerates.

That's totally irrelevant.  My point is that this incident was started and enflamed by Dromid players before it became a free-for-all.  I'd like to see the reaction to Pat Gilroy getting belted by two Kildare players.  Wouldn't be nice either-they'd be eating through the wire to get at them.

The real rot of the GAA is poor officialdom from the refereeing, linesmen and stewards.  That's where we differ from rugby.  Don't give me that clap-trap about Northern/Tyrone football, either-boring and obnoxious. 

armaghniac

The Dromid players should clearly be dealt with also. But subs piling in is not acceptable and while a team may not have complete control over its supporters it should be held fully responsible for players and officials.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Minder

Quote from: armaghniac on January 23, 2012, 09:15:49 PM
The Dromid players should clearly be dealt with also. But subs piling in is not acceptable and while a team may not have complete control over its supporters it should be held fully responsible for players and officials.

Yeah neither team was blameless but subs jumping in isn't on, I hate to see it. It's a sc**bag thing to do.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thewobbler

Whishtup that thing you sit on is your arse and that thing you try licking is your elbow.

Rugby referees are generally inconsistent, and have the same flaws as all officials in all sports. BUT there is a culture in that game of respecting officials, which spreads from juvenile ranks to international level.

Those subs who entered the fray on Sunday showed two fingers to Gaelic Games. If their club and managers had a zero tolerance policy for this sort of behaviour it wouldn't have happened.

INDIANA

Quote from: Whishtup on January 23, 2012, 09:11:53 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 23, 2012, 08:57:21 PM

That's totally irrelevant.  My point is that this incident was started and enflamed by Dromid players before it became a free-for-all.  I'd like to see the reaction to Pat Gilroy getting belted by two Kildare players.  Wouldn't be nice either-they'd be eating through the wire to get at them.

The real rot of the GAA is poor officialdom from the refereeing, linesmen and stewards.  That's where we differ from rugby.  Don't give me that clap-trap about Northern/Tyrone football, either-boring and obnoxious.

Tyrone has an internal problem that has largely become an epidemic within the county and its refusal really to deal with it.

And the real problem is your lack of understanding that officials and supporters have no business entering the field of play in any capacity.

I love the way Tyrone play football at county level but their club scene has a real problem. And its their refusal to deal with it really that is the most damning.

sammymaguire

Too many Tyrone lads got involved in that melee. There must have been 4-5 to each Kerry man... Too quick to hop over the wall on to the field of play IMO although there didn't seem to be anyone lying on the ground after the 1m 10 sec video was over...

Certainly don't think the club has been involved in this kind of behaviour previously and not during their Ulster campaign although could be wrong on that
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!