FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AZOffaly

Robbie's 100th Cap. Robbies's son. Common enough for those sort of occasions.

ross4life

More like, "Hey everybody i had a baby with this one"

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ross4life on August 11, 2010, 07:54:23 PM
More like, "Hey everybody i had a baby with this one"

Her Mother is from Laois, that's where she gets her good looks from

Here in the Aviva, good atmosphere, it's great to have matches back here finally, much better for soccer than Croke Park.
Oohhh close there from Messi
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ross4life

If you are in Aviva now.. then what was that loud crashing noise? sounded like someone broke one of the glass panels

AZOffaly

I never knew you couldn't be offside from a kickout. I don't think Shay knew either :)

Capt Pat

Duff just missed a chance. Then Argentina score. The fans in the stadium don't like it. Was it offside?

Good view from the upper tier of the douth stand.

magpie seanie

Quote from: ross4life on August 11, 2010, 08:09:50 PM
If you are in Aviva now.. then what was that loud crashing noise? sounded like someone broke one of the glass panels

I heard that too.

Who knew the wee Scot was such a genius on the rules? Nice one Ray.

rosnarun

Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2010, 03:20:53 PM
I wouldn't usually be looking in here, but I wanted to know what people think of the national broadcaster referring to the Argentinian national team as "the Argies" in its sports bulletins. It's my understanding that this is a disrespectful term that originated in the British tabloids at the time of the Malvinas war. I certainly don't think you'd hear it on the BBC, just as you wouldn't hear them referring to eye-ties or krauts. But RTÉ's standards of sub-editing and basic competence in the language seem to have sunk so low that they don't even know (or care) what they're saying.

Does RTÉ even have a department that looks after language guidelines and pronunciation or the like? I'd say they definitely don't but for one thing. Everyone on RTÉ seems to have been trained to pronounce the "R" in "RTÉ" as "Arrrrr", which nobody else in the country does, that I know of. My guess is that the old codger who runs language and pronunciation has forgotten everything else except the importance of "Arrrr" and that's all new recruits get taught. And of course he can't be fired or even told what to do because he's a civil servant.

Sorry - I didn't know where this was going when I started.

YOUR RIGHT NO ONE CARES
As long as they make the selves clearly understood . it does not matter how they pronounce words or spell them for that matter. it is the main strength of the english language .
refudiate my point if you must
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ross4life

Others scores

HT Montenegro 1 - 0 Northern Ireland
England 0 - 0 Hungary 25mins
Sweden 3 - 0 Scotland 68mins
Wales 1 - 0 Luxembourg 42mins

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ross4life

Quote from: Boycey on August 11, 2010, 08:25:36 PM
If the two of ye are at the match get off your phones and watch the match for Christ sake

If they were on there phones they would have a mobile symbol beside the message, so there either talking BS or on the laptops

ziggysego

Quote from: ross4life on August 11, 2010, 08:31:36 PM
Quote from: Boycey on August 11, 2010, 08:25:36 PM
If the two of ye are at the match get off your phones and watch the match for Christ sake

If they were on there phones they would have a mobile symbol beside the message, so there either talking BS or on the laptops

Smartphones don't leave symbols.
Testing Accessibility

magpie seanie

Platini and Delaney the w**ker on the big screen to boos (they didn't look impressed) followed by close up of Giles to their left which was greted by a big cheer. Best part of the night so far!