Antrim need a new manager

Started by DuffleKing, August 27, 2012, 03:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Baker Bradley has thrown his hat at the antrim job. The assumption will be that its linked with the Derry job I assume?

Gold

Gutted.

Will be missed

We've never had a manager like him
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ck

Bradley did a good job with Antrim but would I be correct in my assumption that whilst they may have become more consistant Antrim never really made a propar breakthrough. When it came to the crunch they still crashed out of the qualifiers when it really counted.

Bradley is tipped for the Derry job but I'm reliably informed that he's not rated or liked in Derry.
Brian McIvor and Paddy Tally have spoken to the county board I'm told and it's theirs if they want it.

winker3716

Quote from: Gold on August 27, 2012, 04:49:06 PM
Gutted.

Will be missed

Ach yur ballix,  the man was a crack pot, good riddance.

John Keenan and the Derry men have more sense that to appoint that eegit!
My Philosophy on self preservation - "pull on him before he pulls on you, and pull early"

johnneycool

armaghniac

Paddy O'Rourke is always willing
to travel to a neighbouring county.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gaffer

Quote from: winker3716 on August 28, 2012, 10:10:53 AM
Quote from: Gold on August 27, 2012, 04:49:06 PM
Gutted.

Will be missed

Ach yur ballix,  the man was a crack pot, good riddance.

John Keenan and the Derry men have more sense that to appoint that eegit!

Whys he a crackpot and an eejit?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

rodney trotter

He done a good job with Antrim, promotion in consecutive years and a Ulster Final appearance being his best achievement's. For a county like Antrim that is succesful as they were rock bottom when he took over. They were always the wipping boys of Ulster Football for a long time, he changed that.

They were unlucky this year being without CJ McCourty, probaly Antrims best forward. They had a excellent win against Galway in the qualifiers and then had to play Tipp a week later without their captain Aodhan Gallagher as he had pre booked holidays, a pretty farcical thing to do in the  middle of the Championship.

I'm not sure if he he a head-ase or not but his record with Antrim was very good, in my view as an outsider looking in...

AQMP

Jack O'Connor is a shoo-in.  Will give him another chance to have a crack at Tyrone.

rrhf

Would love tO see joe Kernan getting the gig

ck

I'm noting a slight exageration when it comes to being positive about Bradley. If you collect all the positives and ignore the many negatives then any manager would sound good. How about this?

Bradley got the team promoted before being relegated again. They got to an Ulster final by coming through an easy side of the draw before being hammered in the final itself. The commitment from players was farcical, arguably the worst in the country. Their top scorer goes on holidays before the championship is over, only to be joined by the team captain. (Not the managers fault?) The best players in the county (Sean Kelly, Sean Burke, Kevin McGourty, CJMcGourty) wouldnt play for Bradley. All this before crashing out of another c/ship qualifiers to the mighty Tipperary. Bradley has left Antrim where he found them but has heightened his own profile so he can be considered for the Derry job.
Bradley is detested in his own county and regarded as a loose cannon in his own club.

orangeman

Quote from: ck on August 29, 2012, 09:22:53 AM
I'm noting a slight exageration when it comes to being positive about Bradley. If you collect all the positives and ignore the many negatives then any manager would sound good. How about this?

Bradley got the team promoted before being relegated again. They got to an Ulster final by coming through an easy side of the draw before being hammered in the final itself. The commitment from players was farcical, arguably the worst in the country. Their top scorer goes on holidays before the championship is over, only to be joined by the team captain. (Not the managers fault?) The best players in the county (Sean Kelly, Sean Burke, Kevin McGourty, CJMcGourty) wouldnt play for Bradley. All this before crashing out of another c/ship qualifiers to the mighty Tipperary. Bradley has left Antrim where he found them but has heightened his own profile so he can be considered for the Derry job.
Bradley is detested in his own county and regarded as a loose cannon in his own club.

2 things spring to mind here  -

Donegal are in the all ireland final and only a few years ago, if you met Donegal, they were considered the easy side of the draw ? Amazing.

Getting beaten by 6 points wasn't a hammering compared to what the great Tyrone team inflicted on better teams than Antrim.

rodney trotter

The fact that Kevin McCourty wouldn't play under for Bradley means very little. McCourty has an opinion of himself and thinks he is the best player in Ireland. Not really a team player, CJ would be no saint either, but he played under Bradley until this year when he got injured in the Mckenna Cup with UUJ and kept him out for a few months. He wasn't selected for the championship as he wasn't fully fit.. It wasn't because Bradley wouldn't pick him/

ck

Quote from: orangeman on August 29, 2012, 10:11:31 AM
Quote from: ck on August 29, 2012, 09:22:53 AM

2 things spring to mind here  -

Donegal are in the all ireland final and only a few years ago, if you met Donegal, they were considered the easy side of the draw ? Amazing.

Getting beaten by 6 points wasn't a hammering compared to what the great Tyrone team inflicted on better teams than Antrim.

Nonsense on both points. Even Donegal people talk about what a shambles they were 3 years ago, players more interested in drinking than playing. Antrim went on to beat a poor Cavan side. Tyrone won by 6 in the final, regardless of the score it was a very one sided final. The score doesnt always reflect.