American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

The Heatles are toying with Dallas, James was shocking in game 4 and he had to balls to gather 'his team' around him before the game and give them a lecture, he spoke at length about giving your all blah blah blah and then went on to have the least points he has ever scored in a game, 8 points and they still only lost by three.

I would love to see Dallas win the series but it aint happening.

The brewers are going gangbusters and I would love to see them in the world series against the red sox. :)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Blowitupref

That's the way Heat have been playing all season! one of big three Wade,Bosh,Lebron has a off game, i can't remember all three playing well on one night?

For me Dirk Nowitzki has been the star of the final so far.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 08, 2011, 09:00:50 PM
For me Dirk Nowitzki has been the star of the final so far.

Maybe of the play-offs as a whole but Dwyane Wade has been the best player in the finals themselves so far.

Blowitupref

Another big win for the Mavericks! it's all set up nicely as they head to Miami now.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

The Iceman

Interesting series, have enjoyed it for the most part and hope to see Dirk and the Mavs finish this in Miami.
The only thing I am not crazy about is it always seems the game hinges on the Heat. The either win or lose. It's not really about how good the Mavs are but whether or not the Heat can play like they can.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

RMDrive

Quote from: The Iceman on June 10, 2011, 02:37:58 PM
Interesting series, have enjoyed it for the most part and hope to see Dirk and the Mavs finish this in Miami.
The only thing I am not crazy about is it always seems the game hinges on the Heat. The either win or lose. It's not really about how good the Mavs are but whether or not the Heat can play like they can.

You kidding right? Do you think the Mavs have played to the level they are capable all through the series? What excuses are you going to offer up for Miami no playing "like they can"?

The Iceman

Hold on, I'm not a heat fan at all and I'm defending them just so we're clear.
LeBron hasn't been consistent. Neither he or Wade has really grabbed this series or team and led like they can/should.

All I am saying is that I just get that feeling that if the Heat turned it on they would win this again......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

RMDrive

Quote from: The Iceman on June 10, 2011, 04:14:14 PM
Hold on, I'm not a heat fan at all and I'm defending them just so we're clear.
LeBron hasn't been consistent. Neither he or Wade has really grabbed this series or team and led like they can/should.

All I am saying is that I just get that feeling that if the Heat turned it on they would win this again......

Nah. As a Donegal man I could pull that "if we played like we could we could beat anyone" stuff. But you play as well as you are able to and as well as you are allowed to. Look at the defence the Mavs are playingin the last 5 minutes of games - against the heat and against Oklahoma. The opposition is reduced to firing up off balance contested threes. The reality is that the Mavs have the belief and the toughness to compete in tight games. Wade and Lebron have grabbed the series as well as they can. Of course they could have played better but so could the Mavs. There's not a game that occures where you couldn't point out ways that a team could have played better.
Anyway Miami are going back home for the last 2 games and they have a great chance to close it out. Hope the last 1/2 games are as good as the first 5.

Club Rossa

Red Sox are beginning to hit form,think it's 7 straight wins and after sweeping the Yankees again they are now 8-1 against New York this season :o

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Declan on June 09, 2011, 09:40:42 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/american-football-when-you-damage-your-brain-you-lose-your-personality-2293550.html

Scary stuff - Wonder if in a few years we'll see something similar with Rugby?

Scary stuff alright.  I don't understand why helmet to helmet hits are not cut out of the game totally.  Thankfully it seems huge strides have been taken over the last few years when it comes to safety in both American Football and even wrestling.  Two areas where concussions regularly occurred.  I don't know much about Rugby.  But when reading some articles on the papers here you often read about the big hits players have taken or that so and so is recovering from a concussion.  But you rarely hear of any talk about the dangers of brain injuries or concussions when it comes to Rugby which I find deeply worrying.  Over the last few years the danger of concussions and hits to the head have become a major concern in America but on this side of the Atlantic we don't seem to take it as seriously.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Club Rossa on June 11, 2011, 11:23:29 AM
Red Sox are beginning to hit form,think it's 7 straight wins and after sweeping the Yankees again they are now 8-1 against New York this season :o

The Sox will be very hard to stop if their pitching holds up. They have the most talented batting line-up in baseball but their pitching rotation can be wobbly.

Forever Green

Quote from: The Iceman on June 10, 2011, 02:37:58 PM

I would agree with that. Even with their big players, the Heat seem to crack under the pressure in the 4th quarter and hand the game to Dallas. Dallas are great team but Heat should have had it wrapped up by now

ross4life

Mavericks are the NBA champs! great finals Dallas worthy winners & it was well worth staying up for.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Blowitupref

Yes Mavericks did it fair play to them! Dirk Nowitzki MVP of the finals no doubt.