American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2011, 11:55:50 PM
On  a punt the kicking team can only recover if it hits off a receiving team player first. So basically if the receiver doesn't think he has a clear chance at catching it/returning it, he will let it go. He will then hope it goes into the end zone, like that last one, as that means you start back out on the 20.

The kicking team will chase it because if they manage to catch it before it goes into the endzone, the receiving team will start from wherever they catch it.

I see. That's rather obscure, I don't feel stupid for not knowing that without being told. Cheers again

AZOffaly

Punting is all about field position y'see. The punting team will want to ensure the receiving team starts as far back as possible. The receiving team will obviously want to return it as far as they can.

The cardinal sin in receiving a punt is to 'muff' the punt, basically fumble it, as then it becomes a live ball, and the kicking team can recover. That almost happened with the first punt.

magpie seanie

Quote from: ross4life on February 06, 2011, 11:32:22 PM
Could have been worse.. could have got Britney Spears to sing it, BTW did anyone spot the Irish man in the Michael Douglas piece?

Yep, the bould Mr Hewson.

Is it me or did Christina screw up the words of the national anthem?

Anyhow - can't stick the Pack but think thy're going to be too good tonight. Oh - and there it starts.

deiseach

Do they really call it muffing the punt? ;D

Great touchdown, go Green Bay

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 07, 2011, 12:00:53 AM
Quote from: ross4life on February 06, 2011, 11:32:22 PM
Could have been worse.. could have got Britney Spears to sing it, BTW did anyone spot the Irish man in the Michael Douglas piece?

Yep, the bould Mr Hewson.

Is it me or did Christina screw up the words of the national anthem?
Anyhow - can't stick the Pack but think thy're going to be too good tonight. Oh - and there it starts.

Thank you. I did too, but I was afraid to say it in case I was just confused by the 'pace' of it.

Deiseach, yes, yes they do. The punt was muffed. :D

re. the TD, that's going to be there all night with Nelson, Driver and Jennings. If the Packers can pick up the Steelers' blitz, then Rogers will have a chance to hit the outside lads.

deiseach

It seems to be compulsory for pundits in American football to nod all the time when their colleague in pundity is talking. Makes them look like the Churchill dog.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2011, 11:59:36 PM
Punting is all about field position y'see. The punting team will want to ensure the receiving team starts as far back as possible. The receiving team will obviously want to return it as far as they can.

The cardinal sin in receiving a punt is to 'muff' the punt, basically fumble it, as then it becomes a live ball, and the kicking team can recover. That almost happened with the first punt.

So if it becomes a live ball can the kicking team run for a touchdown or does it become a 1st down from where they picked it up
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on February 07, 2011, 12:03:42 AM
It seems to be compulsory for pundits in American football to nod all the time when their colleague in pundity is talking. Makes them look like the Churchill dog.

Oh Yes.

deiseach

Troy Aikman has been 'talking to the BBC'. Talking to Michael Johnson, more like

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 07, 2011, 12:04:34 AM
Quote from: deiseach on February 07, 2011, 12:03:42 AM

Oh Yes.

I have to stop feeding you lines

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 07, 2011, 12:04:19 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2011, 11:59:36 PM

So if it becomes a live ball can the kicking team run for a touchdown or does it become a 1st down from where they picked it up

They can return it for a touchdown as long as they don't get tackled to the ground. Basically as soon as the punt is fumbled, and recovered, it becomes like any other play, i.e. the ball can be advanced until you are tackled or 'downed by contact'. (Touched when on the ground).

It rarely happens because usually in punt situations, a fumble leads to a big ruck like the one that happened there, so the lad that recovers it is normallly immediately 'downed' because he is being touched on the ground by the other bucks trying to scramble for the ball.

deiseach

AZOffaly

Big play. It's looking like a high scoring game. It's not over yet though, the steelers are experienced.

deiseach

Why were Pittsburgh so open after the interception? Was that a function of their setup for the throw from the QB?

AZOffaly

By the way, just in case it becomes an issue later on and confuses the shite out of ye.....

A 'kick off', as opposed to a punt, is different in that it becomes a live ball immediately and the kicking team is free to recover without the receiving team touching it. It's like a restart kick off in Rugby. The only stipulation is that , just like in rugby, the ball has to go 10 yards before it becomes live. (You can't just tap the ball and fall on it).