Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on January 25, 2011, 06:13:09 PM
Quote from: The Claw on January 25, 2011, 05:30:33 PM
Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on January 25, 2011, 04:29:21 PM
Quote from: The Claw on January 25, 2011, 02:31:35 PM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on January 25, 2011, 12:45:33 PM
Quote from: The Claw on January 25, 2011, 11:58:32 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 24, 2011, 08:30:54 PM
Quote from: The Claw on January 24, 2011, 02:53:17 AM
It has been a great year for the Jets. Devastating loss tonight but a great year.

Great is pushing it. They didn't turn up in the AFC championship game until the game was just about out of reach. They'll have plenty of regrets about their first half performances, especially the defense. On the plus side though, Sanchez has shown a huge amount of progress, especially in the past couple of playoff games. Still plenty to do, but he's coming along.

On the other game, the behaviour of some players, fans and pundits with regard to Jay Cutler has been absolutely appalling. Utter scumbags!

As a Jets fan, it was a great year for the Jets. Made great strides, beating Colts and Patriots when not given even half a chance. Only team in the final 4 last year to make it back. Remember, second year coach, second year QB. Sanchez being a clutch QB, Rex backing up his words. Showing great heart in the second half vs Ptt. Couldn't ask for any more from a team

Could ask for a super bowl? Yeah they made it to the final 4 two years in a row but that was it, it was all or nothing and they got nothing. So imo not really a good year when the aim was to win it all.

Eh, most teams aim to win it all so that is not really a valid point.
How can you say it wasn't a good year when they were one game away from the SB? Maybe some people are too used to following the bandwagon teams like Patriots not used to the reality of the NFL.

All teams aim to make progress and do better than they did the year before - so being one game away from the Superbowl when you were in exactly the same position the year before is hardly a great year

That is like saying if a team loses the SB one year and they don't win it the next year, it is not a great year. But if you want to go down the progress argument - last year the Jets won their last two games by the Bengals and the Colts resting their starters, and still had a record of 9-7 I think and had to rely on the Texans losing their final game to clinch their wildcard berth. This year they went through the regular season getting 12 wins (haven't checked the exact number). They beat the team that defeated them in the AFC championship game last year, the defeated most people's pick to win the SB, the Patriots. To me, that is progress.

The regular season is a means to an end – getting to the playoffs. If you get to the playoffs the year before and don't do any better the next year then it's not progress.

And yes, if a team gets to the Super Bowl one year, you'd like to think going one better is their aim for the following year. If not, then what's the point? Do you think the Buffalo Bills considered every season from 91-92 to 93-94 "great"?
I think you are being too objective in your view here. Its easy to say that about the Bills when they were a very good team for those years. Last year the Jets were frankly lucky to get into the POs. They were branded overachievers and lucky to make the playoffs, and quite honestly, with how the Colts and the Bengals resting their starters,  they were. This year there was no luck involved, they had maybe the fourth or so best regular season record. You say the regular season does matter. Using your argument, take the Seahawks - they make the playoffs this year with a losing record and manage to catch the Saints on the hop, if next year they go 12-4 and win their first playoff game but not their second, you are saying that that is not a great year whereas in reality they have improved enormously and played much better than the previous year.
Maybe being a jets fan my judgement is clouded but as a Jets fan, but I would have thought that the objective view was that it was a great year, I suppose I can't really make that call. What I can say is that as a fan, it definitely was a great year.

I can't argue with that but taking your Seahawks example they are still in the same poor division so winning it again has to be their goal for this year and, yes, winning more playoff games than they did this year has to be the goal as well.
There are two seasons in the NFL, one to get you to the playoff and then the playoffs themselves. Once you do well in the first, the second is forgotten about. The Packers won a game less in the regular season this year than they did last year. I doubt they're worried
Take for example the year Meath got to the semi final vs Kerry two years ago and were defeated easily. That year they got lucky fixtures against the likes of Limerick and Mayo to get that far. Now say the year after they got to the semi final but beat teams like Kerry, Dublin and Tyrone on the way, i.e. they got there is a much more convinving fashion than the previous year, and then only narrowly lost to, say, Cork in the semi final. I would still consider that a great year because of the teams they beat and the manner in which they got to that stage.

The systems are totally different and can't be compared. The regular season is there to get to the playoffs. The Championship, even with the backdoor, is one big playoff from the start.
I doubt before the season started the Jets would have been happy with not getting any further than they did last year

mc_grens

Quote from: The Claw on January 26, 2011, 02:14:15 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on January 26, 2011, 01:16:25 PM
Quote from: The Claw on January 26, 2011, 10:21:28 AM
Quote from: mc_grens on January 25, 2011, 11:45:18 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 25, 2011, 07:57:46 PM
As a Jets fan, it was a great year for the Jets. Made great strides, beating Colts and Patriots when not given even half a chance. Only team in the final 4 last year to make it back. Remember, second year coach, second year QB. Sanchez being a clutch QB, Rex backing up his words. Showing great heart in the second half vs Ptt. Couldn't ask for any more from a team

I've only started watching American Football in the last three or four years and there's still plenty I don't know, but is that bit true??

I really just dont think he's good enough. He's just too up and down. Look how well Jaaash Freeman is playing. I know which of the two I'd prefer, and Freeman was taken after Sanchez. The Jets might have trouble repeating this next year. Edwards, Cromartie, and Holmes are all FA's next season (if there is a next season), the Jets may very well be unable to afford them all.
I do like Freeman, and would admit that on this year's performance he was better than Sanchez. The point I was making is that Sanchez is a winner. Similar to what Big Ben is like. I am not comparing him to Ben, I am just saying that he has that quality of being a winner, and coming up big when it matters.

He has had games where he's played well late/ had good second halves/ made big plays late to win it for the Jets, no doubt. My point is, on many of those occasions his poor play is what initially led to the Jets being in trouble!

Manning won DESPITE a poor D, Brady wins despite a young D and a suspect running game. The Jets win because of strong D, solid Special Teams, and playmakers elsewhere on offence.
Yea I suppose your argument about his poor play causing them to be down in fair enough. I don't think it happens every time, but sometimes that is the case. For example the Jets D couldn't stop anything in the first half versus the Steelers so you couldn't blame Sanchez for that. But even though that might be the case sometimes, he still comes up good when it matters, and I'd rather have that quality in someone rather than someone who will not make the play on the last snap of the game.

I agree that much of the Jets' success has been down to D/ST and a strong running game, but it is unfair to compare Sanchez to Brady or Manning. But most teams, with the exception of the aforementioned Brady and Manning have the same. Ben, Flacco, Ryan, Cutler, Cassell all have good D and running games. He has some things to work out like his accuracy from inside the pocket and his decision making but he is only in his second year and I really like the qualities he brings to the table. If Jets had a better OC I think he would really blossom.

I know its unfair to compare him with those players, but it made it easy to illustrate my point. I just dont think his arm is good enough. Particularly when he could potentially have to spend the rest of his career in the windy, cold North East. I do like his guts, and he's a tough player, but at the end of the day its a QB league and you need an elite one to win. As I said the Jets could potentially be losing some pieces in the off season, so Sanchez now MUST make that transition. Unfortunately for the Jets it looks like Sam Bradford and Josh Freeman are the lads more likely to do it.

The Claw

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on January 26, 2011, 03:32:00 PM
Quote from: The Claw on January 26, 2011, 02:01:50 PM
Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on January 26, 2011, 10:55:19 AM
Quote from: The Claw on January 26, 2011, 10:10:12 AM
It has been a great year for the Jets. Devastating loss tonight but a great year.

Great is pushing it. They didn't turn up in the AFC championship game until the game was just about out of reach. They'll have plenty of regrets about their first half performances, especially the defense. On the plus side though, Sanchez has shown a huge amount of progress, especially in the past couple of playoff games. Still plenty to do, but he's coming along.

On the other game, the behaviour of some players, fans and pundits with regard to Jay Cutler has been absolutely appalling. Utter scumbags!

Could ask for a super bowl? Yeah they made it to the final 4 two years in a row but that was it, it was all or nothing and they got nothing. So imo not really a good year when the aim was to win it all.

How can you say it wasn't a good year when they were one game away from the SB? Maybe some people are too used to following the bandwagon teams like Patriots not used to the reality of the NFL.

All teams aim to make progress and do better than they did the year before - so being one game away from the Superbowl when you were in exactly the same position the year before is hardly a great year

That is like saying if a team loses the SB one year and they don't win it the next year, it is not a great year. But if you want to go down the progress argument - last year the Jets won their last two games by the Bengals and the Colts resting their starters, and still had a record of 9-7 I think and had to rely on the Texans losing their final game to clinch their wildcard berth. This year they went through the regular season getting 12 wins (haven't checked the exact number). They beat the team that defeated them in the AFC championship game last year, the defeated most people's pick to win the SB, the Patriots. To me, that is progress.

The regular season is a means to an end – getting to the playoffs. If you get to the playoffs the year before and don't do any better the next year then it's not progress.

And yes, if a team gets to the Super Bowl one year, you'd like to think going one better is their aim for the following year. If not, then what's the point? Do you think the Buffalo Bills considered every season from 91-92 to 93-94 "great"?
I think you are being too objective in your view here. Its easy to say that about the Bills when they were a very good team for those years. Last year the Jets were frankly lucky to get into the POs. They were branded overachievers and lucky to make the playoffs, and quite honestly, with how the Colts and the Bengals resting their starters,  they were. This year there was no luck involved, they had maybe the fourth or so best regular season record. You say the regular season does matter. Using your argument, take the Seahawks - they make the playoffs this year with a losing record and manage to catch the Saints on the hop, if next year they go 12-4 and win their first playoff game but not their second, you are saying that that is not a great year whereas in reality they have improved enormously and played much better than the previous year.
Maybe being a jets fan my judgement is clouded but as a Jets fan, but I would have thought that the objective view was that it was a great year, I suppose I can't really make that call. What I can say is that as a fan, it definitely was a great year.

I can't argue with that but taking your Seahawks example they are still in the same poor division so winning it again has to be their goal for this year and, yes, winning more playoff games than they did this year has to be the goal as well.
There are two seasons in the NFL, one to get you to the playoff and then the playoffs themselves. Once you do well in the first, the second is forgotten about. The Packers won a game less in the regular season this year than they did last year. I doubt they're worried
Take for example the year Meath got to the semi final vs Kerry two years ago and were defeated easily. That year they got lucky fixtures against the likes of Limerick and Mayo to get that far. Now say the year after they got to the semi final but beat teams like Kerry, Dublin and Tyrone on the way, i.e. they got there is a much more convinving fashion than the previous year, and then only narrowly lost to, say, Cork in the semi final. I would still consider that a great year because of the teams they beat and the manner in which they got to that stage.

The systems are totally different and can't be compared. The regular season is there to get to the playoffs. The Championship, even with the backdoor, is one big playoff from the start.
I doubt before the season started the Jets would have been happy with not getting any further than they did last year
I think the Jets would be very happy with how they played both during the regular season and how they defeated both the Colts and the Patriots, two of the top teams of the last decade, in the playoffs, and just coming up short against the other top team of the last decade. Anyway I think we might have to call it quits on this one CT, if you want to continue I will, but I don't think either of us are going to concede any ground! Have enjoyed the debate all the same - we need more such debates on this thread.

The Claw

Quote from: mc_grens on January 26, 2011, 03:34:00 PM
Quote from: The Claw on January 26, 2011, 02:14:15 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on January 26, 2011, 01:16:25 PM
Quote from: The Claw on January 26, 2011, 10:21:28 AM
Quote from: mc_grens on January 25, 2011, 11:45:18 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 25, 2011, 07:57:46 PM

I've only started watching American Football in the last three or four years and there's still plenty I don't know, but is that bit true??

I really just dont think he's good enough. He's just too up and down. Look how well Jaaash Freeman is playing. I know which of the two I'd prefer, and Freeman was taken after Sanchez. The Jets might have trouble repeating this next year. Edwards, Cromartie, and Holmes are all FA's next season (if there is a next season), the Jets may very well be unable to afford them all.
I do like Freeman, and would admit that on this year's performance he was better than Sanchez. The point I was making is that Sanchez is a winner. Similar to what Big Ben is like. I am not comparing him to Ben, I am just saying that he has that quality of being a winner, and coming up big when it matters.

He has had games where he's played well late/ had good second halves/ made big plays late to win it for the Jets, no doubt. My point is, on many of those occasions his poor play is what initially led to the Jets being in trouble!

Manning won DESPITE a poor D, Brady wins despite a young D and a suspect running game. The Jets win because of strong D, solid Special Teams, and playmakers elsewhere on offence.
Yea I suppose your argument about his poor play causing them to be down in fair enough. I don't think it happens every time, but sometimes that is the case. For example the Jets D couldn't stop anything in the first half versus the Steelers so you couldn't blame Sanchez for that. But even though that might be the case sometimes, he still comes up good when it matters, and I'd rather have that quality in someone rather than someone who will not make the play on the last snap of the game.

I agree that much of the Jets' success has been down to D/ST and a strong running game, but it is unfair to compare Sanchez to Brady or Manning. But most teams, with the exception of the aforementioned Brady and Manning have the same. Ben, Flacco, Ryan, Cutler, Cassell all have good D and running games. He has some things to work out like his accuracy from inside the pocket and his decision making but he is only in his second year and I really like the qualities he brings to the table. If Jets had a better OC I think he would really blossom.

I know its unfair to compare him with those players, but it made it easy to illustrate my point. I just dont think his arm is good enough. Particularly when he could potentially have to spend the rest of his career in the windy, cold North East. I do like his guts, and he's a tough player, but at the end of the day its a QB league and you need an elite one to win. As I said the Jets could potentially be losing some pieces in the off season, so Sanchez now MUST make that transition. Unfortunately for the Jets it looks like Sam Bradford and Josh Freeman are the lads more likely to do it.
Yea Freeman and Bradford really look like they have great potential. To be honest, Sanchez's arm strength is that last thing I worry about, its average, but I think he has shown he has enough zip to be able to play at the NFL level. He has shown steady improvement this year in his decision making, his ability to take care of the ball, his ability to feel pressure, and his reading of the defence. If he keeps improving the way he is going I think he will make a very good QB.
I agree that there will come a stage that he will have to step up to take the Jets to another level though.

stew

Sanchez will, in the next few years become one of the best seven or eight qb's in the league, right now he is about 20th.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: The Claw on January 26, 2011, 05:32:04 PM
Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on January 26, 2011, 03:32:00 PM
Quote from: The Claw on January 26, 2011, 02:01:50 PM
Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on January 26, 2011, 10:55:19 AM
Quote from: The Claw on January 26, 2011, 10:10:12 AM

I think the Jets would be very happy with how they played both during the regular season and how they defeated both the Colts and the Patriots, two of the top teams of the last decade, in the playoffs, and just coming up short against the other top team of the last decade. Anyway I think we might have to call it quits on this one CT, if you want to continue I will, but I don't think either of us are going to concede any ground! Have enjoyed the debate all the same - we need more such debates on this thread.

No! To the death!  :D
I'm a Dolphins fan anyway, so any season anybody's had since 1972 has been an abject failure as far as I'm concerned...

Denn Forever

In case you didn't look in the GAA section.

Quote from: mick999 on January 27, 2011, 12:27:24 PM

http://irishecho.com/?p=42194

Steelers may play NFL game at Croker News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Susan Falvella Garraty

Ambassador Dan Rooney, Art Rooney II, Sportscaster Jim Nantz and former Pittsburgh Steelers star Franco Harris.

The Super Bowl-bound Pittsburgh Steelers might also be Ireland bound for a regular 2011-2012 regular season game. That's the word from the huddle after the team's championship win over the New York Jets last weekend.

The clincher for a Steelers appearance would likely be Dan Rooney, whose family own the franchise and who is himself the current U.S. Ambassador in Dublin.

And the Echo has learned that some groundwork has already been laid for a regular season game at the GAA headquarters which has a seating capacity in excess of 80,000.

A spokeswoman for Ireland's  Minister for Tourism, Culture and Sport, Mary Hanafin, told the Echo Tuesday that discussions have already been held at the official level on the potential of a NFL regular season game being played in Ireland in the fall.

"Minister Mary Hanafin would very much welcome such a move to hold a future NFL game in Ireland, which has such a proud sporting tradition. There would be a great welcome for visiting fans traveling with the teams to Ireland as well as huge interest locally,  and a knock on boost for Ireland from a tourism perspective," the spokeswoman said.

At the end of Sunday's game against the Jets, Ambassador Rooney held aloft the Lamar Hunt trophy Rooney, who left the day to day running of the team to his son Art Rooney II in 2003, has overseen the development of a team that is now tied with the Dallas Cowboys for most Super Bowl appearances.

Of course the team has seen its share of notoriety, particularly from its quarterback, "Big" Ben Roethlisberger, who has had his own personal fumbles that include a serious motorcycle accident, and suspension this season for his behavior in a bar with a young woman.

Perhaps hearing a whisper on the Three Rivers wind, Roethlisberger  recently said he would like to bring a regular NFL game to the Emerald Isle

For the last four years, the NFL has played a regular season game in London. Last October, it was the San Francisco against the Denver Broncos in Wembley Stadium. Roethlisberger was asked by the local Beaver County Times newspaper if he'd like to see the Steelers play in London.

In his response he groused a bit about the length of the flight, but came up with a way to go overseas and shorten the time in the air just a bit.

"I think it would be fun to go play in Ireland where Ambassador Rooney is. That would be kind of fun," he said.

Big Ben's suggestion has clearly been taken literally and to heart in Dublin where big college football games have been played before enthusiastic crowds in recent years.

Perhaps the Ireland game could be a replay against the Jets, a team that thinks green all year round.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Gabriel_Hurl

RealSpiritof98

Fancy the steelers by a wide margin, dont know why but I do, I like that Viking jersey.

thejuice

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 01, 2011, 03:39:02 PM
If NFL teams had "soccer" jerseys

http://imgur.com/a/I7b32/

http://www.iafs.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5635

Supposed "leaked" NIKE kits for the 2010 season.

These are fake though. still cool though.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 01, 2011, 03:39:02 PM
If NFL teams had "soccer" jerseys

http://imgur.com/a/I7b32/
Some of those are class,I'd wear a few of them myself
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stew

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on February 01, 2011, 06:47:30 PM
Fancy the steelers by a wide margin, dont know why but I do, I like that Viking jersey.

Will not happen, the Packers d is tremendous, they have the best cornerbacks in the league and their safeties are no dazers either, look for big Ben to throw three picks and get sacked three times, twice by the claymaker.

I think the packers will win this game, the steelers are very good but i think the pack are that bit better and they do have the better qb, the only concern i would have is if rodgers is way off his game, throwing the ball low has been an issue every time he has had a concussion and I think he might have gotten another one against the bears, his usual dead on balls delivery went awol and he was throwing the ball at the shoelaces.

Prediction, The Packers win by three, field goal kicker to win it with 5 seconds left from 43 yards. :)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Club Rossa

Can't you be any more precise about that winning field goal Stew? Like which hash mark will it be taken from :P

The Iceman

not a fan of either team but will throw my hat in with the Packers. Never liked the Steelers as a team but Mike Wallace, Rashard did my team wonders in Fantasy this year
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

I have always had a soft spot for the Packers - must be going back to the Favre days, sorry Stew. Aaron Rodgers has really played some great stuff - and the packers defence is fantastic. That said, the Steelers, and in particular Big Ben - never know when they are beaten in the big games. They are like Rocky. Just keep on going.

Cant pick myself currently.