American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: The Claw on January 24, 2011, 02:53:17 AM
It has been a great year for the Jets. Devastating loss tonight but a great year.

Great is pushing it. They didn't turn up in the AFC championship game until the game was just about out of reach. They'll have plenty of regrets about their first half performances, especially the defense. On the plus side though, Sanchez has shown a huge amount of progress, especially in the past couple of playoff games. Still plenty to do, but he's coming along.

On the other game, the behaviour of some players, fans and pundits with regard to Jay Cutler has been absolutely appalling. Utter scumbags!

mc_grens

Quote from: J70 on January 24, 2011, 08:30:54 PM
It has been a great year for the Jets. Devastating loss tonight but a great year.

Great is pushing it. They didn't turn up in the AFC championship game until the game was just about out of reach. They'll have plenty of regrets about their first half performances, especially the defense. On the plus side though, Sanchez has shown a huge amount of progress, especially in the past couple of playoff games. Still plenty to do, but he's coming along.

On the other game, the behaviour of some players, fans and pundits with regard to Jay Cutler has been absolutely appalling. Utter scumbags!

Not a fan of Cutler. Contrast what he did yesterday to what Phil Rivers did against the Pats two years ago, playing through an entire AFC Championship game on one leg, limping around with a torn ACL.

stew

(disclaimer, I am a pats fan)

Great to see those arrogant fcukers the jets turfed out on their arse, the shoe sniffer threw his cap and headphones down in disgust, hell slap it up them fcukers. :D

fair play to the packers, i hope they go on to win it for the fans here in town and all over the world, Green bay is called titletown for a reason and I hope they get the job done against a very good team in the steelers.

prediction, Pack 28 Steelers 24.

As for Cutler, he could have helped himself by looking like he gave a shite but it cant be much fun in fairness running around with a torn MCL, still, it has been done before but he was protecting his investment in his long term health and he will probably get back quicker as a result, the guy led them to a 12-4 record and got them to the NFC title game and this is the best their fans can do?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

The Iceman

Quote from: stew on January 25, 2011, 12:16:37 AM

Great to see those arrogant fcukers the jets turfed out on their arse, the shoe sniffer threw his cap and headphones down in disgust, hell slap it up them fcukers. :D

fair play to the packers, i hope they go on to win it for the fans here in town and all over the world, Green bay is called titletown for a reason and I hope they get the job done against a very good team in the steelers.

As for Cutler, he could have helped himself by looking like he gave a shite but it cant be much fun in fairness running around with a torn MCL, still, it has been done before but he was protecting his investment in his long term health and he will probably get back quicker as a result, the guy led them to a 12-4 record and got them to the NFC title game and this is the best their fans can do?

My God but you need to take the blinkers off lad. Steelers are the epitomy of aragonce - probably as hated in this part of the world as much as the Pats. If there were ever a hateful bunch of supporters its Pats' :P

Greenbay is known as titletown?!?!? sure they haven't won  a Superbowl in 42 years?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tyrones own

Quote from: The Iceman on January 25, 2011, 01:20:08 AM

My God but you need to take the blinkers off lad. Steelers are the epitomy of aragonce - probably as hated in this part of the world as much as the Pats. If there were ever a hateful bunch of supporters its Pats' :P

Greenbay is known as titletown?!?!? sure they haven't won  a Superbowl in 42 years?
1997 with Favre
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

The Claw

As a Jets fan, it was a great year for the Jets. Made great strides, beating Colts and Patriots when not given even half a chance. Only team in the final 4 last year to make it back. Remember, second year coach, second year QB. Sanchez being a clutch QB, Rex backing up his words. Showing great heart in the second half vs Ptt. Couldn't ask for any more from a team

The Claw

Delighted you enjoyed it stew but I guarantee that your happiness will come no where near the feeling jets nation had beating your Pats. Probably the sweetest victory the Jets have ever had. Man did it feel good.

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: The Claw on January 25, 2011, 11:58:32 AM

As a Jets fan, it was a great year for the Jets. Made great strides, beating Colts and Patriots when not given even half a chance. Only team in the final 4 last year to make it back. Remember, second year coach, second year QB. Sanchez being a clutch QB, Rex backing up his words. Showing great heart in the second half vs Ptt. Couldn't ask for any more from a team

Could ask for a super bowl? Yeah they made it to the final 4 two years in a row but that was it, it was all or nothing and they got nothing. So imo not really a good year when the aim was to win it all.

The Claw

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on January 25, 2011, 12:45:33 PM

Could ask for a super bowl? Yeah they made it to the final 4 two years in a row but that was it, it was all or nothing and they got nothing. So imo not really a good year when the aim was to win it all.

Eh, most teams aim to win it all so that is not really a valid point.
How can you say it wasn't a good year when they were one game away from the SB? Maybe some people are too used to following the bandwagon teams like Patriots not used to the reality of the NFL.

The Iceman

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 25, 2011, 05:27:51 AM

1997 with Favre
oops

well before that!! ha

bottom line Stew's comments on the JETS are not appreciated :P
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

Quote from: mc_grens on January 24, 2011, 09:52:33 PM

Not a fan of Cutler. Contrast what he did yesterday to what Phil Rivers did against the Pats two years ago, playing through an entire AFC Championship game on one leg, limping around with a torn ACL.

What has Rivers got to do with it? Was Rivers leg the one he throws his weight onto when throwing? Does everyone have the same pain threshold. Did Rivers' offensive line allow dozens of sacks on him that season? Its ludicrous to hold anyone to that type of standard.

AZOffaly

How about holding him to a standard where he trys to help out his backups, or put on a headset and talked to the OC, or helped Heine read the photos he was looking at?

He sat with a face like a spoiled child sulking on the bench, and I never saw one player or coach speak to him or console him, nor did I see him make any shape towards supporting or leading his team from the sideline until about 3 minutes to go.

He's a mé feiner.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: The Claw on January 25, 2011, 02:31:35 PM

How can you say it wasn't a good year when they were one game away from the SB? Maybe some people are too used to following the bandwagon teams like Patriots not used to the reality of the NFL.

All teams aim to make progress and do better than they did the year before - so being one game away from the Superbowl when you were in exactly the same position the year before is hardly a great year

The Claw

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on January 25, 2011, 04:29:21 PM
Quote from: The Claw on January 25, 2011, 02:31:35 PM

All teams aim to make progress and do better than they did the year before - so being one game away from the Superbowl when you were in exactly the same position the year before is hardly a great year

That is like saying if a team loses the SB one year and they don't win it the next year, it is not a great year. But if you want to go down the progress argument - last year the Jets won their last two games by the Bengals and the Colts resting their starters, and still had a record of 9-7 I think and had to rely on the Texans losing their final game to clinch their wildcard berth. This year they went through the regular season getting 12 wins (haven't checked the exact number). They beat the team that defeated them in the AFC championship game last year, the defeated most people's pick to win the SB, the Patriots. To me, that is progress.

stew

Quote from: The Claw on January 25, 2011, 12:00:07 PM

Delighted you enjoyed it stew but I guarantee that your happiness will come no where near the feeling jets nation had beating your Pats. Probably the sweetest victory the Jets have ever had. Man did it feel good.

That in itself is a sad indictment on the organization, to say that a second round conference playoff win was the sweetest win they have had is really pathetic, that said the Jets were brilliant on the day.

In relation to the Steelers, they and the packers are said to be the best run, classist organizations in the country in any sport, the pats I would consider a great organization but they got caught cheating and that cheapens them.

By the way, the packers have won more Championship than anybody, that is a fact, they last won the Superbowl in 96 not 42 year ago and they got beaten by denver in 97, the last time they made it to the show.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.