American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Puckoon on September 14, 2010, 06:12:46 PM
Quote from: deiseach on September 14, 2010, 02:10:01 PM
Has anyone here ever played gridiron? I know it's a dumb question because I'm sure it hurts like hell - I was given a stat once that it's very rare for a player to play every play of every game that they could play - but is it any worse than (obvious comparision) rugby?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b2d727/WK-4-Anquan-Boldin-injury

Boldin ended up with 41 screws in his cheek according to the guys on MNF last night.

I think he got the jaw bust two years ago against the Jets too.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gabriel_Hurl

that's the clip Puck posted Minder  :D

the Deel Rover

Has anyone here ever played gridiron? I know it's a dumb question because I'm sure it hurts like hell - I was given a stat once that it's very rare for a player to play every play of every game that they could play - but is it any worse than (obvious comparision) rugby?

it showed pictures of Brett Favre Leg after last years match against New Orleans it looked like he was hit by a train 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

anportmorforjfc

Lads looking for tickets for the wembley game and the best price i can find is around £90 on ticketmaster. Was hoping i wouldn't have to spend that much. Wouldn't really mind where i was sitting, are there any other sites selling them?

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

wicked

Anyone here going to the Boston Bruins-Giants Select game at Odyssey?

Puckoon

What a great win for little old UNR Wolfe Tones against Cal bears ranked #24!!!

We beat the shit out of them for 4 quarters, scoring 51 points against one of the best defences in the natio

Cracking night.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Puckoon on September 18, 2010, 06:55:17 AM

We beat the shit out of them for 4 quarters, scoring 51 points against one of the best defences in the natio

Cracking night.

Puck, judging by your post time I would say it was a cracking night ;)

Puckoon

FL! That is only 10.55 pm PST... I was designated driver last night - maybe my delerium was post prandial, having just devoured a great burger from Jack in the Box after the game! Thank the lord I was driving, beers at the stadium were $7.75, and sales stopped at half time. The tailgating was fun beforehand however.

Was a seriously great game - from the get go UNR were on the offensive. High scoring night in Reno.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Puckoon on September 18, 2010, 11:13:11 PM
FL! That is only 10.55 pm PST... I was designated driver last night - maybe my delerium was post prandial, having just devoured a great burger from Jack in the Box after the game! Thank the lord I was driving, beers at the stadium were $7.75, and sales stopped at half time. The tailgating was fun beforehand however.

Was a seriously great game - from the get go UNR were on the offensive. High scoring night in Reno.

Oh feck yes, I forgot about the other 3 hours you have to add on from EST. Will have a DD for the All Ireland tomorrow morning it will be a long day I am thinking....oh the head on Monday morning :'(

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Puckoon on September 18, 2010, 06:55:17 AM

Cracking night.

AP top 25 did not list Cal   http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/polls/ap/

Watched the game and Cal has no D-Fence.

Very entertaining game though. UNR could be a Boise State in a few years.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

DrinkingHarp

deiseach,
I played both American football and rugby. In AF you have harder hits on a more consitant basis and sprint on every play. Rugby you tend to hit every so often and jog more then sprint.

A 270lb defensive end would probally beat most rugby backs in a forty yard sprint, but a forward guy could beat a Wide receiver in an endurance race.

The contact is also different. With AF you have the pads and helmet where players don't fear hitting an opponent, in rugby you tend to see more controlled tackles with proper form and a reduced rate of injuries.

As far as a Pro or College team MOST players will only play one position on Offense or Defense and thus limit their playing time to that particular side of the team and game. In High School and lower level (children) some kids will never leave the field playing on both sides of the ball and special teams. Pre 1970 there was a number of players who played both OFF and DEF but the game has turned to specialized positions.

Hope that helps
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Minder

What a catch by Moss over Revis  :o
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mc_grens

Quote from: Minder on September 19, 2010, 10:30:38 PM
What a catch by Moss over Revis  :o

Exactly what I logged in to say. Special stuff.

gallsman

Just seen the highlights of the Texans-Redskins game. Texans won it in overtime, but only after Graham Gano had a 52 yard FG called back when Kubiak called a timeout just before the snap. He than proceeded to miss by a mile second time round.

I'm curious about it because American sports seems to pride themselves on great demonstrations of sportsmanship (such as not running up the score, which I disagree with) whereas this was blatant gamesmanship yet the commentators were praising the ingenuity of the coach. Admittedly they said that it was exactly the sort of stunt Shanahan would have pulled in the same circumstances.

Just wondering if anyone knows how your average joe American views such plays and what our more dedicated American football fans on here reckon.