American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Players who were expected to do well were mediocre and sometimes horrible.
A lot of players emerged as decent prospects but it's only week 1 - lets see if they can keep this up for the season!

So tired this morning and another late night with the Jets and Ravens tonight!!!

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

BallyhaiseMan

wish i had ESPN,
how much extra to your sky monthy bill is it to subscribe,does anyone know?

Minder

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on September 13, 2010, 09:50:02 PM
wish i had ESPN,

You can go two ways. Sign up for 12 mths and ge the first 3 mths free or £9 per month and you are not tied in. I went for the second option and will cancel in January. The 30 for 30 documentaries are great.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Monday Night Countdown on now. This is a great show...

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Minder on September 13, 2010, 09:55:31 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on September 13, 2010, 09:50:02 PM
wish i had ESPN,

You can go two ways. Sign up for 12 mths and ge the first 3 mths free or £9 per month and you are not tied in. I went for the second option and will cancel in January. The 30 for 30 documentaries are great.

cheers for that lad,im look into getting it.

ballinaman

Chargers lost 14-21 to the Chiefs....not the start you would want although Chiefs has been improving slowly each year. Should have been able to get the ball in the endzone from 6 yards and 3 downs though.

The Claw

Have NEVER been more frustrated than watching the Jets last night, the D would be class and get to what would look like a three-and-out and then would give away a penalty. They gave up something like 100 yards in penalties alone.
They could do nothing on offence, looked clueless, they wouldn't let Sanchez throw on a secondary that was missing two starters.
I dunno if it was the strength of the Jets D but the Ravens didn't look like world beaters either.

deiseach

Has anyone here ever played gridiron? I know it's a dumb question because I'm sure it hurts like hell - I was given a stat once that it's very rare for a player to play every play of every game that they could play - but is it any worse than (obvious comparision) rugby?

Gabriel_Hurl

Average player career length is 3.5 to 4 years

deiseach

RedBolts

Quote from: The Claw on September 14, 2010, 10:50:58 AM
Have NEVER been more frustrated than watching the Jets last night, the D would be class and get to what would look like a three-and-out and then would give away a penalty. They gave up something like 100 yards in penalties alone.
They could do nothing on offence, looked clueless, they wouldn't let Sanchez throw on a secondary that was missing two starters.
I dunno if it was the strength of the Jets D but the Ravens didn't look like world beaters either.

Yeah, saw the first half of this game. You're right it was really difficult to watch. Extremely frustrating. Jets were going nowhere and the Ravens weren't getting too far either. Sanchez doesn't cut it I don't think. Can't see them winning a Superbowl with him. Might even struggle for playoffs. Good win under difficult circumstances for Baltimore. Fancy them to take the Bengals this weekend.

As for Chargers. Is it too simplistic to say they would have won if Vincent Jackson was on the field? No.

thejuice

Quote from: deiseach on September 14, 2010, 02:10:01 PM
Has anyone here ever played gridiron? I know it's a dumb question because I'm sure it hurts like hell - I was given a stat once that it's very rare for a player to play every play of every game that they could play - but is it any worse than (obvious comparision) rugby?

I've played both and got seriously injured playing both. Had more concussions from American football though. I find that in American football its the tackles/hits that hurt more with Rugby football its when I'm on the ground after the tackle that I got hurt more.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Puckoon

Quote from: deiseach on September 14, 2010, 02:10:01 PM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b2d727/WK-4-Anquan-Boldin-injury

Boldin ended up with 41 screws in his cheek according to the guys on MNF last night.