American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Ya, not surprised he's gone. Was a shadow of himself last season, just not able to make the cuts he used to. Brilliant player and hall of famer nailed on. Looks like the white LT chargers jersey i have is going to be a retro one now!

Minder

Same as every running back approaching 30, the burst just isn't there, allied to quite a few injuries and a heavy workload. He was truly great in his prime. A top running back now only seems to have 4-5 years at the very top. One thing that stuck with me about him though was a few years ago against  the Pats, may have been their 16-0 year, in the AFC championship game some thought he should have played more. I remember him sitting on the sideline with the helmet and black visor on and Rivers played the same game with a fcuked Achilles. Totally different positions I know but I thought I heard murmurs from teammates at the time they were pissed off with him.

McGrens probably remembers this better than me.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thejuice

I remember that too. Don't know how his team-mates took it but yeah, didn't even take the helmet off. He might have played 1 down and came off.

Brian Westbrook is another back who I thought is well past his prime too. But then again the Eagles haven't still figured out that running backs can do other things than pass block.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

mc_grens

Quote from: Minder on February 23, 2010, 03:12:02 PM
Same as every running back approaching 30, the burst just isn't there, allied to quite a few injuries and a heavy workload. He was truly great in his prime. A top running back now only seems to have 4-5 years at the very top. One thing that stuck with me about him though was a few years ago against  the Pats, may have been their 16-0 year, in the AFC championship game some thought he should have played more. I remember him sitting on the sideline with the helmet and black visor on and Rivers played the same game with a fcuked Achilles. Totally different positions I know but I thought I heard murmurs from teammates at the time they were pissed off with him.

McGrens probably remembers this better than me.

I remember it indeed. LT had a bum ankle I think and Rivers played on a Torn ACL! Had surgery to clean it out straight after the Colts game the previous week and slept in some funny machine all week that kept his knee joint moving during the night to stop it ceasing up.

Then he had the surgery to repair the actual torn ACL after the Pats game.

Doesn't sit well with alot of people. He worked hard to get back from that injury, then got Turf Toe in about game 2 of last season and was never the same again.

The Claw

Always thought that was a bit harsh on LT, If he was up and down the sideline cheering on his teammates (which he should have been) there would never have been such a furore over him not playing, there would have been a "Look at LT - what a great team-mate" tyoe moment.

GalwayBayBoy

Westbrook to be cut as well.

Eagles will release veteran RB Westbrook so he can find new team

The Philadelphia Eagles announced Tuesday that they will release two-time Pro Bowl running back Brian Westbrook, who struggled to stay healthy this past season.

A source told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora that the Eagles can't actually cut Westbrook until the start of the new league year next month. Recently, the Dolphins had to rescind a release of linebacker Joey Porter because of a salary-cap proration.

The salary cap is scheduled to expire March 5, barring a last-minute deal between the NFL and the players' union.

A former All-Pro, Westbrook led the league in 2007 with 2,104 yards from scrimmage. He rushed for 1,333 yards and accounted for 12 touchdowns that season.

However, Westbrook spent much of last season on the sideline. He missed eight games because of two concussions and an ankle injury and finished with just two touchdowns.

"Brian is one of the greatest Eagles of all time and he is even a better person and leader," Eagles coach Andy Reid said in a statement released by the team. "In my mind, there has not been a more versatile running back that the NFL has seen.

"I had a conversation with Brian this morning to let him know (he was being released). This is by far the most difficult part of this job. We wanted to make this move now in order to maximize Brian's chances of landing with another NFL team."

thejuice

about time they listened to me
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

DrinkingHarp

Two years ago the best running backs in the NFL and Fantasy Football - LT & Westbrook (based on running and catches) are now throw aways. People still can't fathom the money top players recieve in the NFL but this shows you how quickly it disappears.

Any team worth their salt would grab either one for a 1yr contract and help their playoff chances, injuries and all.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

turk

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Cardinals-want-third-round-pick-for-Boldin?urn=nfl,225755

We had been talking about this recently. Looks like they aren't asking too high a price for Boldin. I'd be tempted to try and get more for him.

Capt Pat

He is 30 now I think and his contract is up in a year. He will also demand a lot of money and I would still bring him to any team for a third round pick.

Arizona have also released pro bowl safety Antrel Rolle. He was due to receive a 4 million dollar roster bonus. I am hoping the Vikings will pick him up in free agency which starts tonight.

declan85

First signing of the Free Agency, Nate Burleson WR to the Lions 5 years @ €25million...
Hoping my beloved Bears will make a run at Peppers & Rolle...

Club Rossa

Antonio Cromartie goes to the Jets.

anportmorforjfc

Dansby looking like he might be on his way to the dolphins but the cardinals want him to stay.

Capt Pat

The Cardinals want everyone to stay but dont't want to pay. It rhymes but it doesn't make sense. Warner is gone, dansby is going, so they cut Rolle and our about to trade Boldin for a lot less than he is worth.

If those 4 players are not there next year, they will only be half the team they were in the last 2 years. It is amazing that after being so close to winning it all they are just going to let the team fall apart like that.

Minder

In fairness Pat, Rolle is looking $8m a year and the Cards are willing to give him $6m a yr. It's no as if they are just discarding him, they Ma have a shot at resigning him if his contract demands don't get out of hand.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"