American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 26, 2010, 10:49:28 AM
Only got into the american football the past 3 or 4 years so can any one tell me how Drew Brees ended up in New Orleans he was with the Chargers wasn't he ?
He was,Chargers drafted Eli number 1 who refused to play there,then traded him to Giants for Rivers who was drafted number 4,who was annointed their QB of the future,Chargers also got other draft picks in that draft and future,i believe(dont hold me to this,they got Merriman and Kaeding out of it aswell as draft picks)
This Proceeded to light a fire under Drew Brees arse,who then played lights out,for 2 seasons while Rivers sat and learned
Brees eventually left for New Orleans with Rivers taking over.
Its worked out well for both teams,Two top 5 QB's there.
That San Diego front office is fantastic at scouting.

Minder

I remember when Brees was coming out of college at Purdue (I think) the knock on him was he hadn't a strong arm.There has never seemed much wrong with it. A strong arm isn't everything, reference Jeff George for example.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rossie11

QuoteOn last nights showing if the Colts keep the turnovers to a minimum they should beat the Saints by 10 (at least).
The Saints did put up 28pts in normal time against a much better defense than what the colts have. The Colts corners were stung for a few big plays early and if the Saints can start well I think they have a huge change.
Bookies make it a 4pt win for Colts which is fair enough in my book based on form/experience.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 26, 2010, 11:55:06 AM
Only got into the american football the past 3 or 4 years so can any one tell me how Drew Brees ended up in New Orleans he was with the Chargers wasn't he ?
He was,Chargers drafted Eli number 1 who refused to play there,then traded him to Giants for Rivers who was drafted number 4,who was annointed their QB of the future,Chargers also got other draft picks in that draft and future,i believe(dont hold me to this,they got Merriman and Kaeding out of it aswell as draft picks)
This Proceeded to light a fire under Drew Brees arse,who then played lights out,for 2 seasons while Rivers sat and learned

thanks bh didn't realise that a draft pick could refuse to go to a team that picked him . Brees could not have been that old when the chargers decided to get rid of him . hope he goes on to win the superbowl this year
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Minder

Quote from: Rossie11 on January 26, 2010, 12:02:22 PM
QuoteOn last nights showing if the Colts keep the turnovers to a minimum they should beat the Saints by 10 (at least).
The Saints did put up 28pts in normal time against a much better defense than what the colts have. The Colts corners were stung for a few big plays early and if the Saints can start well I think they have a huge change.
Bookies make it a 4pt win for Colts which is fair enough in my book based on form/experience.

They certainly have a good chance Rossie I just have a feeling that Manning will have more joy against the Saints D than Brees will against Indy. I also wouldn't underestimate that Indy are playing in a stadium they won the superbowl in a few years ago and will be familiar with all that goes with Super Bowl week. Even though these guys are all seasoned pros some players dont handle it well.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 26, 2010, 12:03:42 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 26, 2010, 11:55:06 AM

thanks bh didn't realise that a draft pick could refuse to go to a team that picked him . Brees could not have been that old when the chargers decided to get rid of him . hope he goes on to win the superbowl this year

Brees was picked in 2nd round out of Purdue 2 years beforehand i believe,hard to believe that San Diego with how talented they are now,were the worst team in the NFL back then with their 4-12 record.

thejuice

Brees never played as well for San Diego as he has for New Olreans from what I've seen. I dont know if the numbers back me up but he definately wasn't having the kind of form he has now. Its like something has just clicked with him since he's moved to New Orleans.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: thejuice on January 26, 2010, 01:37:01 PM
Brees never played as well for San Diego as he has for New Olreans from what I've seen. I dont know if the numbers back me up but he definately wasn't having the kind of form he has now. Its like something has just clicked with him since he's moved to New Orleans.
agree with you there juice
he was
2004 3,159 27TD's 7 Ints
2005 3,576 24 TD's 15 Ints

fairly good,but nowhere near the level he is at now.

Minder

Quote from: thejuice on January 26, 2010, 01:37:01 PM

In his last two seasons in San Diego he had 51 tds and 22 interceptions but the three seasons before that weren't great. In his defence San Diego were poor a few years back and hadn't a receiver worth talking about.

the Deel Rover

how do ye rate pieterson (spl) lads l
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

heganboy

Quote from: Rossie11 on January 26, 2010, 12:02:22 PM

I certainly don't rate the vikings D higher than the Colts, colts were caught on "trick plays" and the fact that Sanchez has such a fast pump fake, otherwise those two big plays were fractions away from being batted down. I wouldn't actually blame the corners...

That being said, the Saints have the highest scoring side in the league, and you don't do that by luck. I think this will be a good enough game this year, but still have the colts at a canter in the end. That spread will open out a bit, and the over under will increase I reckon.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

AZOffaly

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 26, 2010, 02:24:18 PM

Adrian Peterson you mean? I think he's a great back, but he is prone to a bit of fumiblitis. He is an every down back though, and can break big runs as well as the 5 yards on 1st and 10 that make a huge difference.

He had a bad run in this season though, but I think that's because the offense turned Pass first, as Favre started firing everything at Rice, Scionko(sp?), Harvin and Berrian.

If Favre retires, expect Peterson to be the number 1 back in the NFL next year.

RogerMilla

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 26, 2010, 03:25:13 PM

Adrian Peterson you mean? I think he's a great back, but he is prone to a bit of fumiblitis. He is an every down back though, and can break big runs as well as the 5 yards on 1st and 10 that make a huge difference.

He had a bad run in this season though, but I think that's because the offense turned Pass first, as Favre started firing everything at Rice, Scionko(sp?), Harvin and Berrian.

outrageous recovery on that rip.. beat the four new orleans players to the ball after he lost it
best back in the league for me and theres loads more to come..

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 26, 2010, 03:25:13 PM

yeah Az peterson must practice my spelling  ;)   i was just wondering how many other backs would have still been given the carries despite 3 fumbles  i know he recovered 1 of them and scored 3 tds 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

The Iceman

put your house on the colts +3
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight