American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ballinaman

Wouldn't surprise me if they are introduced, NFL helmets have come along way down through the years. Had a few lectures in college on the forces generated through the cervical spine from collisions in NFL, crazy stuff back in the day when helmets weren't providing enough protection.

AZOffaly

They'll definitely do something. They are seriously worried about concussions, and the way in which they are dealt with.  Kurt Warner may well retire after picking up another concussion this season. I read somewhere that a linebackers tacking force was measured in some hit or other, and it was measured as being forceful enough to move 1 ton 1 inch. That's fairly serious to be on the receiving end.

Declan

I thought there was a cheap hit on Rodgers as well from a helmet - Can't remember who it was but surprised the officials missed it

AZOffaly

That was Bertrand Berry, but I don't think that was a cheap hit. His hands were up trying to block the pass, but it was careless because he led with his helmet. However Warner took two hits like that, and one of them was definitely helmet to face. He was giving out to the officials about it with the result that he got a soft call for roughing the passer when he was barely touched on Fitzgerald's second TD pass. That was actually a hold on the Green Bay #77 and he got pushed into Warner and his hand hit him in the face.

the Deel Rover

the cardinals greenbay was some game . it was funny that with both defenses under severe pressure all day  a defensive play won the game especially considering it was the player ( can't remeber his name )  that Green bay were targeting all day that made the tackle on rodgers  . i just love watching Arizona and warner even though i think that was the 1st match the sky showed this year felt sorry for rodgers i think he actually kicked it to the Arizona player who scored the td. roll on the weekend
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

mc_grens

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 12, 2010, 01:31:50 PM
That was Bertrand Berry, but I don't think that was a cheap hit. His hands were up trying to block the pass, but it was careless because he led with his helmet. However Warner took two hits like that, and one of them was definitely helmet to face. He was giving out to the officials about it with the result that he got a soft call for roughing the passer when he was barely touched on Fitzgerald's second TD pass. That was actually a hold on the Green Bay #77 and he got pushed into Warner and his hand hit him in the face.

I remember that play. I think that penalty was declined though- wasn't it the same play that Larry Fitz scored the TD where he should've been called for Offensive Pass Interference?

Newbridge Exile

Greetings all, good mate of mines just home from Philly, hes trying to find a web- site for watching NFL , Any suggestions?

AZOffaly

Quote from: mc_grens on January 12, 2010, 02:47:42 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 12, 2010, 01:31:50 PM

I remember that play. I think that penalty was declined though- wasn't it the same play that Larry Fitz scored the TD where he should've been called for Offensive Pass Interference?

Yep, that was the one. Fitzgerald should have been called for offensive pass interference and one of the O Line lads wrestled your man into Warner. It should have been 10 yards back for Arizona. But in fairness they'd just have scored on the next play instead :)

J70

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on January 12, 2010, 03:44:00 PM
Greetings all, good mate of mines just home from Philly, hes trying to find a web- site for watching NFL , Any suggestions?

Was going to say NFL.com broadcasts some games online, but there's probably a US-only restriction on it (the first Jets-Bengals game was on it). ESPN GO, assuming they also do live broadcasts, are probably the same. So this info is probably of absolutely no use to you!

stew

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 12, 2010, 02:10:58 PM
the cardinals greenbay was some game . it was funny that with both defenses under severe pressure all day  a defensive play won the game especially considering it was the player ( can't remeber his name )  that Green bay were targeting all day that made the tackle on rodgers  . i just love watching Arizona and warner even though i think that was the 1st match the sky showed this year felt sorry for rodgers i think he actually kicked it to the Arizona player who scored the td. roll on the weekend

Rodgers looked off on that last play, after the shot to the helmet the packers should have taken more time outs to determine if he was fit  to continue or not.

Home field advantage is huge because teams always seem to get the rub of the green in the playoffs when playing at home. Green bay are pissed at the officiating and they have a right to. The official the reffed the other day is the same idiot that screwed san diego over last year, it's all about the points spread baby. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stew on January 12, 2010, 04:00:45 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 12, 2010, 02:10:58 PM

Rodgers looked off on that last play, after the shot to the helmet the packers should have taken more time outs to determine if he was fit  to continue or not.

Home field advantage is huge because teams always seem to get the rub of the green in the playoffs when playing at home. Green bay are pissed at the officiating and they have a right to. The official the reffed the other day is the same idiot that screwed san diego over last year, it's all about the points spread baby. ;)

In fairness stew, the Packers need to be pissed off at their defensive coordinator. They couldn't tackle anybody, or cover anyone in the middle of the field. Steve Breaston and Earley Doucet must have thought they were back playing Pop Warner.

I didn't see too many bad calls on either side, apart from the Larry Fitz pass interference plays, and the helmet hits on both sides. Also Jennings was hit on the knee for that mad play down the sideline, so he should have been downed there. It wouldn't have mattered because Green Bay would have scored anyway, just like Arizona were going to score too.

I think Green Bay would be barking up the wrong tree by going after the officials.

mc_grens

Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2010, 03:59:24 PM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on January 12, 2010, 03:44:00 PM

Was going to say NFL.com broadcasts some games online, but there's probably a US-only restriction on it (the first Jets-Bengals game was on it). ESPN GO, assuming they also do live broadcasts, are probably the same. So this info is probably of absolutely no use to you!

On the contrary. Its only for use OUTSIDE the US. I use it and I find it pretty good, especially during the reg season. I can flick from game to game whenever I want, its HD, and after week one when they had problems, I havent had one single break in service.

They currently have a playoff deal on -$70 to subscribe for all the Playoff games. Its probably gone down now that Wild Card weekend is over. They reduced it every week during the regular season as less games were left to watch. You can also go back and watch any game when its over with all of the commercials removed. Im planning to rewatch Sundays night game at some stage this week.

the website is http://gamepass.nfl.com

Gabriel_Hurl

thejuice

Well maybe so, it does look like a crap bike helmet. But there is pressure on the NFL to do something.

Anyway, I've just learned maybe some people know about this but the teams playing this weekend no matter what the outcome will not be able to sign free agents next season.

IF next year is uncapped that is.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016