American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Didn't play particularly well last night but still managed to win which good. Goal line stand and the Faulks missed field goal was the difference in the end. Doing well out of sky this year, bengals game next week on the box too.

magpie seanie

Quote from: declan85 on December 14, 2009, 12:58:53 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 13, 2009, 09:14:50 PM
Cutler set a Bears record today - most interceptions by a Bears QB in a season since 1949 and there's still 3 games to go! He had some good moments too - much like how the whole season has been. Is it all down to him? Bears fans seem to be pretty annoyed with Ron Turner the offensiv co-ordinator. Why is he the problem? Is it done to bad coaching and play calling or bad execution? The cheeseheads move on but I find it hard to see them doing much in the post season with that o-line.

Bears fans are pretty peed off at Ron Turner alright. The blame used to always fall on the qb, see Grossman, Orton, Griese but Cutler has shown he can be very productive under a good coach and now Orton is playing pretty well with a good coach so its coming back on Turner. Ortons comments in Denver "Ive learned more in 4 months under McDaniels than i did in 4 years in Chicago" say it all. Turners record, be it in the NFL or a college team, he has always ranked in the bottom half for total offensive yards. Cutler has been talking up WR Aromashodu(spel) all year saying hes looks to have the making of a No 1 receiver but Turner only gave him 2-3 snaps a game. He must have got a few more last night cos he finished up with 8-76-1TD against the no 3 ranked passing D. I think Turner will get the road in the offseason, maybe Lovie too...

I think when Lovie took back control of the Defense it was a brave step and while they have improved this season they're still a little off what Bears fans were used to. Injuries no doubt can be blamed for a lot of it, Urlacher alone would make a big difference. What annoyed my admittedly untrained eye this season on offense is the complete disintegration of the run game. Forte is possibly having a little bit of second season syndrome but no-one else is doing it either. People say the o-line is bad but they're better than GB's and they can and do run the ball. sometimes you have to keep running the ball even if you're not making yardage but this hasn't happened. Not Bears football.

Aromashodu probably got extra game time due to Hester being out. Cutler likes him and Knox alright. Knox has a bit to learn but looks like he is willing to learn and Cutler is always talking to him, bringing him on. There's always next year!

ballinaman

AZOffaly will not be a happy camper me thinks...

mc_grens

The bears O-line is absolutely worse than Green Bay's. The Packers have gotten injured lads back and improved in the last 4-5 weeks. That is why they've been on a run. Also while GB's line was awful in protection earlier in the season, run blocking is a different skill, and they were ok at that.

The Bears are up there with Buffalo and Washington as one of the worst O-lines in the league both in protection and run blocking. Awful. A mix of lads who are passed it and lads who never had it. Also they've been playing from behind so much that Forte has been sidelined as a runner because they've been forced to pass. 

magpie seanie

Quote from: mc_grens on December 15, 2009, 11:05:50 AM
The bears O-line is absolutely worse than Green Bay's. The Packers have gotten injured lads back and improved in the last 4-5 weeks. That is why they've been on a run. Also while GB's line was awful in protection earlier in the season, run blocking is a different skill, and they were ok at that.

The Bears are up there with Buffalo and Washington as one of the worst O-lines in the league both in protection and run blocking. Awful. A mix of lads who are passed it and lads who never had it. Also they've been playing from behind so much that Forte has been sidelined as a runner because they've been forced to pass.

Grand, I'll bow to your better knowledge on that.

anportmorforjfc

great win last nite, gore and willis were outstanding. Never seen warner play as bad before, the 49ers defence was unbelievable. Play-off hopes still just about alive. Need dallas to lose to saints and eagles to have a chance.

mc_grens

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 15, 2009, 11:42:03 AM
Quote from: mc_grens on December 15, 2009, 11:05:50 AM

Grand, I'll bow to your better knowledge on that.

Sorry. I can be a wee bit opinionated!

magpie seanie

Didn't mean it to come across that way and I certainly wouldn't be one to criticise anyone for being opinionated. I'm a fan of the game and the Bears but there are many things I don't really understand - like the difference between the o-line pass protection and run protection. I just figured if you were able to bully the guy in front of you then great, otherwise no. I suppose you need to move them out of the way for the run as opposed to fending them off for pass protection.

thejuice

Thats about right.

Run blocking means the O-line explode off the line of scrimmage to try knock the D-Line backwards and if possible knock them down and make further blocks downfield. There's also pulling-guards that can be utilised but I wont get into that now.

Pass protection is about forming a pocket of protection around the QB and picking up the blitz. This sometimes invlolves both running backs.

Some O-linemen are better at one or the other and will leave the field if required though some are great at both and are therefore more of an advantage strategically.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

mc_grens

Quote from: thejuice on December 15, 2009, 05:28:36 PM
Thats about right.

Run blocking means the O-line explode off the line of scrimmage to try knock the D-Line backwards and if possible knock them down and make further blocks downfield. There's also pulling-guards that can be utilised but I wont get into that now.

Pass protection is about forming a pocket of protection around the QB and picking up the blitz. This sometimes invlolves both running backs.

Some O-linemen are better at one or the other and will leave the field if required though some are great at both and are therefore more of an advantage strategically.

The main thing is that each requires a slightly different skill set.

A good run blocker is a Monster lad who is explosive going forward and massively strong. Not necessarily laterally quick or particularly good using their hands. Typical guard material. When you hear the American commentators talk about "a road grader type" this is what they mean. Big huge f**king guys who can slow down Albert Haynesworth types.

A pass blocker needs to have good lateral quickness as well as strength, and needs to use their hands well too. These lads go up against the Freeneys, Wares, and Merrimans of this world- the most impressive athletes in the NFL are without a doubt rush outside linebackers and Defensive Ends. You want a prototypical tackle to be strong, tall, wide, have good lateral quickness, good hands, and brute strength. The reason a left tackle is do important is that the other teams best rusher typically lines up at right DE or right OLB. Also the left tackle is usually protecting a right handed QB's back or blindside. Last thing you want is your $100 million QB getting hit from behind on a regular basis by Shawne Merriman!

The problem GB had earlier this year was that they had to move so many OL men around to cover positions they weren't suited to, harming the cohesiveness of the group. On top of that the overall talent level of the line dropped due to injuries.

RogerMilla

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on December 15, 2009, 11:43:23 AM
great win last nite, gore and willis were outstanding. Never seen warner play as bad before, the 49ers defence was unbelievable. Play-off hopes still just about alive. Need dallas to lose to saints and eagles to have a chance.

saints need to beat dallas to clinch home field . big game in NO

anportmorforjfc

which two games are on sky sports on sunday?

Minder

Saturday

Dallas at New Orleans

Sunday

6pm
Miami at Tenessee

9pm
Cincinnati at San Diego
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

anportmorforjfc

fcuk, thought the 49ers eagles game might have been on.

Gabriel_Hurl

Chris Henry WR for the Cincinatti Bengals has apparently passed away this afternoon after a car accident in Charlotte, NC

:(