American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: ONeill on December 06, 2009, 11:05:14 PM
Chargers flying at the minute. Gates on fire. Still not convinced they're anywhere near SB material yet.

Some of the talking heads on sports radio in NYC are predicting a Chargers-Saints superbowl. Just saying - I'm nowhere near qualified to critique them.

thejuice

Raiders beat the Steelers!!

Phins beat the Pats!!

Giants Beat COwboys!

Eagles smashed Falcons  :-[ we're still in contention but only feels like a stay of execution.

Still a good weekend. This has been an unpredictable year for the NFL.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

sammymaguire

I have a sneaky feeling that the Cowboys can bounce back and get close...
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

mc_grens

Quote from: stew on December 03, 2009, 09:14:03 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on December 01, 2009, 07:53:04 AM
Quote from: stew on November 29, 2009, 05:26:23 AM
Quote from: thejuice on November 29, 2009, 01:59:10 AM
Pats or Saints this weekend?

Feeling the Saints will do it.

Nah they wont, the Pats are the class of the field and the have thrown away two games already the year. Prediction, Pats 34 Saints 27.

Brees is a stud however and as long as the hated vikings and that cnut favre dont win it all I wil be happy enough, he is the poster child for all that is wrong with american sports imo.

you were right about Brees, but the Pats, all season, have looked far from the class of the field.

As for Brees, he's been great when called on this year, but the keys for the Saints have been improved D under Gregg Williams, and better offensive balance.

Manning on the other hand puts his undefeated team on his shoulders every single week. When he leaves the game we'll be calling him the Greatest Of All Time, and we'll be right!

The Pats are not right, Brady is not right since the injury but I have to believe that they will make the playoffs and go on a run, they are too good to be playing this badly.

Manning is a great QB but Brady has had the better career, 3 superbowl wins to Mannings one. Manning needs at least two to be mentioned in the same breath as Brady or Starr or Montana.

Pats aren't good enough. They simply don't have the horses on D. They need to come out of this years draft with 4/5 potential defensive starters AND Wilfork. They need front 7 players badly. At the moment they have no pass rush, and can't stop anyone on the road.

Belichick seems resigned to this:
a) I believe he traded Seymore for the #1 from Oakland because he knew they had no pass rush regardless, and was already down on his D.
b) the decision to go for it on 4th and 2 against the Colts screamed "I don't think my D can stop Peyton Manning"

ballinaman

Chargers struggled home in the end, things were starting to look dodgy there for s minute. I'm still not sure about their playoff credentials yet. Weddle will be a big loss if his knee injury is serious, Merriman too but hopefully his foot injury isn't too bad, defence struggled a little without them. Dallas game should be good, Cowboys look beatable. Showdown with Bengals then to see who gets a playoff bye then perhaps, will be interesting!

FL/MAYO

Did anyone see the Nebraska/Texas game on Saturday night? Suh for Nebraska looks like an unbelievable prospect, if Nebraska had any type of offense they would have won, Suh just dominated that game.

ballinaman

Quote from: FL/MAYO on December 07, 2009, 11:48:22 AM
Did anyone see the Nebraska/Texas game on Saturday night? Suh for Nebraska looks like an unbelievable prospect, if Nebraska had any type of offense they would have won, Suh just dominated that game.

Ya it was class alright, Texas QB was very close to getting done with the clock running out at the end. Field goal just about sneaked in too. Suh was unbelievable though, did he have 5 sacks or something like that in the end?

FL/MAYO

Quote from: ballinaman on December 07, 2009, 11:50:45 AM
Quote from: FL/MAYO on December 07, 2009, 11:48:22 AM

Ya it was class alright, Texas QB was very close to getting done with the clock running out at the end. Field goal just about sneaked in too. Suh was unbelievable though, did he have 5 sacks or something like that in the end?

"But Suh and friends did all they could to make it happen. The defensive tackle was credited with 4 1/2 of the team's nine sacks. He had seven of Nebraska's 18 tackles for loss"

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1613628.html

AZOffaly

How 'bout them Cards? They gave Favre and the Vikes a bit of a kicking last night in Arizona. Great win. I was afraid they'd be 7-5 this morning, but 8-4 is nice to see. Away to the 'Niners next week, and if they win that, they clinch the division. They have the 'Niners and Lions away, and then the Rams and Packers at home to finish out. 10-6 would be an achievable aim with that schedule, the Niners wil lbe tough in San Fran, and you know they'll lose at least one of the other 3. Anything better than 10-6 would be a great season for the Cardinals, especially since they've actually lost very winnable games (home v SF, away v Tennessee, home to Carolina). Consistency is still a bit of an issue but they are playing hard, and winning big games.

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 07, 2009, 02:11:22 PM
How 'bout them Cards? They gave Favre and the Vikes a bit of a kicking last night in Arizona. Great win. I was afraid they'd be 7-5 this morning, but 8-4 is nice to see. Away to the 'Niners next week, and if they win that, they clinch the division. They have the 'Niners and Lions away, and then the Rams and Packers at home to finish out. 10-6 would be an achievable aim with that schedule, the Niners wil lbe tough in San Fran, and you know they'll lose at least one of the other 3. Anything better than 10-6 would be a great season for the Cardinals, especially since they've actually lost very winnable games (home v SF, away v Tennessee, home to Carolina). Consistency is still a bit of an issue but they are playing hard, and winning big games.

The muppets around Green Bay are predicting that the pack can still win the division because as we al know the packers will win their last rake of gaes and the viqueens will lose every one of theirs.  ::)

Good to see Favre having the usual december stinker against a really good zona team. ;D

The Pats defense is shoite, Belicheks call agin the colts is making more sense now. The Pats might not make the playoffs.  :'(

Good luck to the Pack tonight, this will be some game, prediction,  Pack 24-Baltimore 20. Rodgers will get hammered in this game, most likely by Lewis and may well be done for the year, he wont finish the game.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Puckoon

Stew you're really butt hurt about Favre! :)

stew

Quote from: Puckoon on December 07, 2009, 05:28:01 PM
Stew you're really butt hurt about Favre! :)

I just think he is the single most arrogant sportsman in American history, and that takes some doing. He never wanted to be in Green Bay and he manipulated things thinking he would get to go to Minnesota, instead he got traded to the Jets, great start there then he fell apart, he retired for the fifty fourth time and asked to be released, they released him, took him at his word, he shafted them and got to go to Minnesota. I hope he get his feckin legs broke, he is the poster child for greed and narcissm in todays american athlete. Put simply, I despise the bastid.

Ogh yeah, I am not and never have been a Packer fan.

Puckoon

I think we just have a completely different outlook on him.

Maybe Im ignorant, but if he never wanted to be in greenbay, what the hell was he there for so long for?

I think he bled green and white for that packers team. Who could ever forget his MNF performance after his father died?

I cant see his greed or his narcissim. I just see a man who loves the game and plays like he's got nothing to lose.

ballinaman

Favre gave some performance in There's Something About Mary though in fairness :D

stew

Quote from: Puckoon on December 07, 2009, 06:01:12 PM
I think we just have a completely different outlook on him.

Maybe Im ignorant, but if he never wanted to be in greenbay, what the hell was he there for so long for?

I think he bled green and white for that packers team. Who could ever forget his MNF performance after his father died?

I cant see his greed or his narcissim. I just see a man who loves the game and plays like he's got nothing to lose.

He did want to be in Green Bay up until he officially re-retired in 2007, he was also a tremendous player fr the Packers and gave them his all until the end of the 2006-07 season.

He has lost the majority of the people of this town with his antics, he has lied about the way he was treated, spoke publically about the Pack not going after Randy Moss and has done his best to harm the reputation of Ted Thompson, his former GM.

Favre has been trying to get traded away from the Pack for several years, first he retired again, they asked him back and flew down to meet with him, he said no, they announced that they had a new starter in Rodgers and made plans to retire Favres Jersey at the first game if the 2007 season.

Favre then got his wife( an awful annoying bitch btw) to do his talking for him, his brother and Bus Cook, his agent also flapped his gums about how the Packers disrespected him and didnt want him there blah blah blah, the upshot was that the Packers denied this and had chartered a plane to fly down and meet with him again when a few hours before they took off, his annoying bitch of a wife told them not to bother coming, that Burt was staying retired, the pack said OK and announced Rodgers as the starter.

No sooner had they done this than Favre unretired and decided he was going to show the Packers up, in essence he was going to force a trade, he accused the Packers of forcing his retirement and in fairness after this happened they panicked and offered him a 20 million dollar bribe to stay retired and be an ambassador for them for ten years.

The Pack ask him to stay away from training camp because of the circus it will involve and Favre refuses, the Packers had previously offered him the opportunity to win the starting role but Burt thought that he was to good for that and blamed the Packers of disrespecting him yet again.

Brett then decides he is getting traded to Minnesota, the Packers say feck that and trade him to the Jets, Favre lights it up until mid season and then gives them nothing, leaving them a mess and surprise, a divided locker room.

Favre now re-re-re-re -re-re retires again, asks for his release, gets it on his word that he is definitely done, promptly unretires and is found to be actively talking to the Vikings about playing for them, Green Bay goes ape shit, the jets dont care but they have a bad taste in their mouths and then Favre pulls his greatest stunt of all, he decides he again, and for the fourth time no longer has the desire to play football, cries at another press conference and that is that.

Well not exactly, the second, and I mean second training camp is over the hoor is flying to Minneapolis, signing a contract and pissing off his new team mates, you know, the men who bursted their holes t get ready for the season, the Vikings cut a QB to make room for this maggot and as of now the man has played well, that said he was shite yesterday and he will never, ever win  a superbowl again despite having the most talented team in the country.

I despise this guy, he is all that is wrong with American sports, greed, self interest, self promotion, to me he is a shell of his former self, since his da died he has made mistake after mistake and I cannot wait until the playoffs to see that maggot get tore up and I guarantee you this, when he is beaten he will be on TV with a beat to shit baseball cap on announcing to the world that he thinks he is done blah blah blah. Bring it on burt, you will be done soon enough.

P.s. I used to like this guy, I played in front of him at a golf outing once and he was good craic, no more.