American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

280 dollars for a 16 game season seems like a lot to me. Watching games on the internet is not as good as watching them on tv. There is also the risk of the internet crashing as well. Also on my mobile internet I would go over my monthly gigabyte limit and start paying through the nose for that as well. Justin tv and associated websites will be enough for me.

anportmorforjfc

great win for the 49ers at arizona.

magpie seanie

Disgusted that da Bears threw that one away and in such an un-Bears like way. Never ran the ball at all in the first half. As for that "fake punt" or should I say rush of blood to the long snappers head - ridiculous.

So what did we learn for a Bears pov? 1. Defense is better than last year on this showing. A good pass rush at last though the blight of injuries hovers again. 2. Forte looks good again. Will get a lot of yards again. 3. Passing game is a lot better but still in need of lots of work. Felt a little sorry for Cutler with the way that his receivers let him down at times. 4 ints is a bad stat but he showed his class in the second half to turn things around. 5. Liked the look of Knox & Bennett and Hester is still improving but the receivers need to improve.

Not many will go to Lambeau and win but make no mistake - this was an opportunity lost for the Bears.

The host on Five will take a bit of getting used to.

AZOffaly

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on September 14, 2009, 09:33:23 AM
great win for the 49ers at arizona.

Brutal start for the Cards. The seahawks had a strong win as well, so that's going to be a big blow.

mc_grens

280 dollars for a 16 game season seems like a lot to me. Watching games on the internet is not as good as watching them on tv. There is also the risk of the internet crashing as well. Also on my mobile internet I would go over my monthly gigabyte limit and start paying through the nose for that as well. Justin tv and associated websites will be enough for me.

that's what I said originally but Justin TV, p2p4u, and myp2p were an unmitigated disaster to start with, and the NFL had most of the feeds shut down by the end of the first Half of the 6 o'clock game. I just go to full screen mode on my laptop and connect it to the ould flat screen with a HDMI cable. Don't have sky at the moment so I've little choice, but it's great being able to switch games and watch them back after if you missed anything. E.g tonight after Coldplay I'm gonna watch the Pats, and since I'm off tomorrow I'll watch San Diego in the morning.

tyroneman

Does anyone give the raiders a chance this year? All we have is memories of marcus allen to keep our spirits up. Big year for jamarcus now and if our somewhat reluctant new recruit can improve our rush d we may cause a few upsets

Capt Pat

Quote from: tyroneman on September 14, 2009, 11:02:13 AM
Does anyone give the raiders a chance this year?

Al Davis.

Seriously though unless Heyward Bey turns out to be a great first year wide receiver I do not think they have much scope for improvement. They do have an easy enough division so you never know, 8-8 won the division last year and Seymour will help the defensive line.

Minder

I wouldn't be too quick to get into bed with NFL Gamepass as loads of UK viewers had no end of problems with it yesterday.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 14, 2009, 09:39:14 AM
Disgusted that da Bears threw that one away and in such an un-Bears like way. Never ran the ball at all in the first half. As for that "fake punt" or should I say rush of blood to the long snappers head - ridiculous.

So what did we learn for a Bears pov? 1. Defense is better than last year on this showing. A good pass rush at last though the blight of injuries hovers again. 2. Forte looks good again. Will get a lot of yards again. 3. Passing game is a lot better but still in need of lots of work. Felt a little sorry for Cutler with the way that his receivers let him down at times. 4 ints is a bad stat but he showed his class in the second half to turn things around. 5. Liked the look of Knox & Bennett and Hester is still improving but the receivers need to improve.

Not many will go to Lambeau and win but make no mistake - this was an opportunity lost for the Bears.

The host on Five will take a bit of getting used to.

Urlacher out for the year with a dislocated wrist >:(

The long snapper should have snapped the ball with the 12 men on the field to get the 5 yard penalty, although Wolfe should have paid more attention.

The WRs need to finish running their routes and bring back stickum.

The offense needs to run to setup the pass!!!!!

Still only one loss, many games ahead to make the playoffs.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

magpie seanie

Why have Sky no red button option games this season and why do they pick shit games to show? Tampa Bay @ Buffalo is the most uninteresting of the late games next Sunday but its the one they have on. Should have been Pitt @ Chicago or Ravens @ San Diego.

DrinkingHarp - agree with all that but that loss could be the difference between making and missing the playoffs right there. Very unfortunate about Urlacher. He has played hurt the last two years and when he finally looks back to his mean best bang and out for the season.

Minder

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 16, 2009, 11:29:49 AM
Why have Sky no red button option games this season and why do they pick shit games to show? Tampa Bay @ Buffalo is the most uninteresting of the late games next Sunday but its the one they have on. Should have been Pitt @ Chicago or Ravens @ San Diego.

DrinkingHarp - agree with all that but that loss could be the difference between making and missing the playoffs right there. Very unfortunate about Urlacher. He has played hurt the last two years and when he finally looks back to his mean best bang and out for the season.

Part of the new Sky deal that was only negotiated a few days before the season started, basically Sky and the NFL were playing hardball and SKY would not pay up for the extra games.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Claw

Any Jets fans on here? Gotta be happy with the performance the last day. Really excited about Sanchez now. I know it is his first game but he was under pressure at times and dealt with it very well. The running game looks to be just as good as last year and the defence seems to have improved to a huge degree. Can't helped but get psyched for Jets' prospects.

turk

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 16, 2009, 11:29:49 AM

Yea, there will probably be a pile of Tampa matches shown to help build up to the Wembley match. It was the same the year the Dolphins were going badly but were shown nearly every weeek

turk

I've a question on NFL rules.

OK - the scenario is, a team is punting the ball and the receiving team are lined up with their punt returner lying on the 20 yard line to collect the punt. The punt goes shorter than expected to say the 30 yard line and it looks like it's going to bounce and spin over the returner's head. The punt returner loses his footing and the ball will probably end up on the 1 or 2 yard line so rather than take the chance, the punt returner (before falling over) buries it with a kick and horses it back up the far end of the pitch. Is this ruled a fumble or what is the ruling here?

barelegs

Turk the situation outlined would be ruled a fumble. Same as if the returner spills the ball. Should the ball end up on the one or two yard line the the punt returner is unlikely to touch it if he had slipped. The return team take over from where the ball came to rest or was downed by the punting team.

The current Sky listing are available at this link.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12949,00.html

Sky will try and show all 32 teams not necessarily the best games each weekend. As a Dolphins fan if we don't get some offence going quickly we could struggle this season. The performance on Sunday was abysmal, from the offence particularly. Another two or three performances like that and there'll be calls to bring in Chad Henne for Pennington and with one of the best paid offensive lines in the NFL their level of performance needs to be upped considerably.