American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Brett Favre is coming back for more.

The 39-year-old quarterback turned his back on retirement for the second time in as many years, agreeing Tuesday to play for the Minnesota Vikings.

The deal is worth between $10 million to $12 million, according to ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

The Vikings made it official with a news release early Tuesday afternoon. A news conference to introduce Favre is scheduled for 6 p.m. ET.

The first inkling that something was afoot came early Tuesday, when two television stations in Hattiesburg, Miss., and Minneapolis reported that the Vikings had sent a private plane to Hattiesburg to pick up Favre.

The Herd with Colin Cowherd

Trent Dilfer reacts to Brett Favre's return to the NFL with the Minnesota Vikings. Dilfer says it's worked out well for Favre, but he's not sure it will work out well for the Vikings.

More Podcasts »

Favre and his wife, Deanna, arrived to cheering fans outside the team's practice facility and the quarterback was in a helmet and pads less than 90 minutes later. His red practice jersey was the familiar No. 4, the same number he wore for years with his now-rival Green Bay Packers.

Coach Brad Childress, who greeted the Favres at the airport, had confirmed the planned meeting in an early Tuesday e-mail to The Associated Press. Asked if the plan was to sign Favre, Childress replied: "In a perfect world."

Childress' wish came true shortly afterward, when the Vikings announced the signing.

The day's developments and Favre's arrival were a surreal tableau, with a throng of fans who somehow learned early on of Favre's deal with the Vikings and ran alongside the SUV as it arrived at the Vikings' practice site from the airport, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, with a lone police officer trying to maintain order.

ESPN analyst Cris Carter reported that Childress already has told the Vikings that Favre would be starting in Friday night's preseason game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

deiseach

Any comment from the American sports fans on here about Favre's return? To my mind it's farcical that teams are allowing themesleves to be dictated to by him.

The Iceman

I agree its a bit of a joke.  He is a great footballer don't get me wrong.  He takes risks, he throws some crazy passes but he also makes things happen that very few other QB's can. 
Can he do good things at the Vikings?  YES
Does he deserve a 2 year $2.5 million contract?  NO
Is he better than Jackson even at 50? YES
Can they go all the way to the Superbowl with Farve? HELL YEAH
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Gabriel_Hurl

The Vikes are no better off with him

The Iceman

what are you talking about gabe?
they have a solid team - they just lacked a QB.
He is the answer to their problems - watch and see
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

I think the purple people eaters must be one of the NFC favourites this year. It should be a great NFC playoffs if the likes of the Vikings, Eagles, Saints, Cardinals, Giants, etc etc can get in.

Carmen Stateside

They got to be one of the favourites, with the number 1 run offence in the league things should be pretty open for Farve to throw.  Also think he is trying to get at the Packers in some way, dont think things between them is to rosie.

stew

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on August 18, 2009, 08:20:43 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on August 18, 2009, 06:47:15 PM
Favre to the Vikings is back on. He is expected to sign today. Vikings for the superbowl.

Ah jaysus, not this again  :D Thats one attention hungry man.....

Anyone have any news on how Sky Sports negotiation re new season in NFL is going? If the NFL's going/gone, Im getting rid of Sky as Ive no interest in premiership football......

Favre is a ballix, he has lost a lot of support here in Green Bay and it is a City divided, the sport talk radio station in town has been inundated with callers supporting him but mostly hammering on him, people are throwing out their favre jerseys and some even hope he gets his legs broken.

As for me, I dont pay any attention to him and hope he fails miserably and I am not even a packer fan.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

magickingdom

Quote from: stew on August 19, 2009, 07:27:07 PM
Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on August 18, 2009, 08:20:43 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on August 18, 2009, 06:47:15 PM
Favre to the Vikings is back on. He is expected to sign today. Vikings for the superbowl.

Ah jaysus, not this again  :D Thats one attention hungry man.....

Anyone have any news on how Sky Sports negotiation re new season in NFL is going? If the NFL's going/gone, Im getting rid of Sky as Ive no interest in premiership football......

Favre is a ballix, he has lost a lot of support here in Green Bay and it is a City divided, the sport talk radio station in town has been inundated with callers supporting him but mostly hammering on him, people are throwing out their favre jerseys and some even hope he gets his legs broken.

As for me, I dont pay any attention to him and hope he fails miserably and I am not even a packer fan.

why do you hope he fails miserably stew? he's definately over the hill but the guy is a legend and if the viking fans can have a year of watching him, lucky them... as for the cheese heads throwing out their jerseys, pity them

thejuice

I don't think he'll do much better than he did with Jets. By December his arm/shoulder will be playing up or something. They have more talent aright but Favre is far from dependable. If he makes me eat my words so be it, but I doubt it. His last hurrah was 2 years ago, but I don't mind, it will be interesting to see him line out against the Packers for what its worth. 
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: The Iceman on August 19, 2009, 06:19:01 PM
what are you talking about gabe?
they have a solid team - they just lacked a QB.
He is the answer to their problems - watch and see

What was wrong with T-Jack and Sage?

Puckoon

Its good for the game folks.

Tavaris Jackson isnt a great quarterback at all IMO

RAT YDS TD
95.4 1,056 9

compared to Favre with his dogdy shoulder

81 3,472 22

Brett gets a guaranteed 6 million dollars even if the vikings cut him before the season starts, or if his shoulder breaks down. 6 million just for getting on the plane.

By all accounts it was Brad Childress who instigated the issue again with Favre, so I dont know how much he had to do with it.

im looking forward to seeing him in action for 2 more years!

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Puckoon on August 19, 2009, 11:57:53 PMTavaris Jackson isnt a great quarterback at all IMO

RAT YDS TD
95.4 1,056 9

81 3,472 22

One played 9 games - one played 16

Puckoon

See! Old man Favre can stick the pace!

Seriously, Jackson didnt get benched for being the best option for the vikings.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 20, 2009, 12:05:11 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on August 19, 2009, 11:57:53 PMTavaris Jackson isnt a great quarterback at all IMO

RAT YDS TD
95.4 1,056 9

81 3,472 22

One played 9 games - one played 16

Jacson is woeful at wuarteback for the Vikings. Did you see him in the playoff game against the Eagles last year. 125 yards in 4 quarters and a pick 6 as well is just not good enough.