American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

Quote from: mc_grens on April 16, 2009, 04:28:28 PM
John Madden has today announced his retirement from broadcasting. I for one will miss him. His partnership with Pat Summeral must surely go down as one of the best commentary duos in the history of any sport.

i loved him, he could get away with saying things that would sound stupid out of someone else

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: magickingdom on April 16, 2009, 07:25:38 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on April 16, 2009, 04:28:28 PM
John Madden has today announced his retirement from broadcasting. I for one will miss him. His partnership with Pat Summeral must surely go down as one of the best commentary duos in the history of any sport.

i loved him, he could get away with saying things that would sound stupid out of someone else

The Harry Caray of the NFL.  ;)

Made every Thanksgiving memorable with his Turduken and the leg award to the player/players of the game.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

DrinkingHarp

The AZ Cardinals are shopping Anquan Boldin, he would look great in a Bears uniform ;)

thejuice

Pity about Madden alright, he was always good to listen to even if he was way off the mark.

Sadder still, is the death of Harry Kalas, the epic voice of NFL films. Irreplaceble.

I think the Cards are mad to lose Boldin, I know hi s numbers were down a bit but he's still class. would love him in Atlanta but dont know if we have CAP room,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

Quote from: thejuice on April 17, 2009, 10:12:21 AM
Pity about Madden alright, he was always good to listen to even if he was way off the mark.

Sadder still, is the death of Harry Kalas, the epic voice of NFL films. Irreplaceble.

I think the Cards are mad to lose Boldin, I know hi s numbers were down a bit but he's still class. would love him in Atlanta but dont know if we have CAP room,

I'd like the Cards to hold onto Boldin, especially because MacGearailt is going to be double teamed next season. Having said that Urban and Breaston are decent receivers as well. I think Boldin is getting his ear bent a little by his agent. He's becoming a bit dsruptive. I'd say that if the Cardinals got value for him, he'd be gone alright.

Minder

I think Breaston could take some of the attention away from Fitzgerald, what the Cards need is a running game. If the Cards got a 2nd round draft pick (would anyone give up a first for Boldin?) they would take it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

rory

Looks like Garnett will miss the entire playoffs with his knee injury.  Celtics are screwed now.  They'll probably beat the Bulls but no way they'll get past the Magic without him.  Love to see Orlando or Cleveland win it all now.  Anyone but the Lakers....  :)

Minder

No talk of the draft on Saturday? Stafford to Lions at #1. They are hoping to have him signed by the draft.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Minder on April 22, 2009, 11:06:52 PM
No talk of the draft on Saturday? Stafford to Lions at #1. They are hoping to have him signed by the draft.

All the draft "experts" on ESPN and NFL TV are saying this is one of the weakest drafts (players) in years.

Now 25 years from now watch half of the 1st round selections end up in the hall of fame.

Looking forward to see where Brian Cushing (USC) Linebacker and Larry English (NIU) Defensive Line go in the draft, any team gets one of these guys is going to be very happy.

thejuice

is stafford definate. The Lions need to plug holes in the O-Line as well if they want to protect the massive investment that Stafford will be. Would like to see them have some success sometime. You get the feeling the Lions would rather trade but no-one wants the top pick with all the money thats involved
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

declan85

Paddy Power running a few special markets for the Draft.
Draft Position
E.g. Mark Sanchez QB
Under 10.5 picks 4/11 Over 10.5 picks 15/8

Will probably watch d draft on nfl.com so gonna have a few quid on sum of these to see how i do...

magickingdom

saw a piece in last sundays tribune (cant find it on-line) where woody johnston (jets owner) was losing the head over 2 jet home games been played on jewish holidays in 2009. apparently it has been the custom that ny teams don't play at home on jewish holidays. is this true in americas number 1 sports market? find it hard to believe...

DrinkingHarp

Juice, your Falcons just picked up Tony Gonzalez TE from KC, the offense is looking incredible.

Minder

Quote from: magickingdom on April 23, 2009, 07:19:13 PM
saw a piece in last sundays tribune (cant find it on-line) where woody johnston (jets owner) was losing the head over 2 jet home games been played on jewish holidays in 2009. apparently it has been the custom that ny teams don't play at home on jewish holidays. is this true in americas number 1 sports market? find it hard to believe...

I told those fucks down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!

The Claw

Does anyone know where one can watch the draft? Can we watch it on nfl.com in Ireland? It's not listed on skysports