American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: heganboy on January 27, 2009, 07:10:46 PM
i think this crap is a storm in a tea cup- so what you took a beating?

we played under 12 games at clan na gael where we ended up on the wrong end of 7-20 to 0-3 scorelines, nobody felt mentally scarred by the game, sure it pisses you off but all this molly coddling crap drives me nuts. I can tell you that no one was telling bumpy and diarmuid not to score against us...

Arguments for and against I suppose. I currently work with a couple coaches and help out on the side.

If we're stomping another team, he will drop us down to 10, 9 or even 8 players, and everyone thats playing better be pushing themselves at something thats difficult to them.

The Iceman

Nice relevant story if you have time to read:

True story-

This has a wonderful surprise ending...

KURTIS THE STOCK BOY AND BRENDA THE CHECKOUT GIRL
In a supermarket, Kurtis the stock boy was busily working  when a new voice came over the loud speaker asking for a carry out at register 4. Kurtis was almost finished, and wanted to get some fresh air,  so he decided to answer the call. As he approached the check-out stand a distant smile caught his eye- the new check-out girl was beautiful. She was an older woman (maybe 26, and he was only 22) and he fell in love.   

Later that day, after his shift was over, he waited by the punch clock to find out her name. She came into the break room, smiled softly at him, took her card and punched out, then left. He  looked at her card- BRENDA. He walked out only to see her start walking up the road. Next day, he waited outside as she left the supermarket, and offered her a ride home. He looked harmless enough, and she accepted. When he dropped her off, he asked if maybe he could see her again, outside of  work. She simply said it wasn't possible.

He pressed and she explained she had two children and she couldn't afford a baby-sitter, so he offered to pay for the baby-sitter. Reluctantly she accepted his offer for a date for the following Saturday. That Saturday night he arrived at her door only to have her tell him that she was unable to go with him. The baby-sitter had called and canceled. To which Kurtis simply said, "Well, let's take the  kids with us."

She tried to explain that taking the children  was not an option, but again not taking no for an answer, he pressed.  Finally Brenda brought him inside to meet her children. She had an older daughter who was just as cute as a bug, Kurtis thought. Then Brenda brought out her son, in a wheelchair. He was born a paraplegic with Down Syndrome.

Kurtis asked Brenda, "I still don't understand why the kids can't come with us?" Brenda was amazed. Most men would run away from a woman with two kids, especially if one had disabilities - just like her first husband and father of her children had done. Kurtis was not ordinary - - - he had a different mindset.   

That evening Kurtis and Brenda loaded up the  kids, went to dinner and the movies. When her son needed anything Kurtis would take care of him. When he needed to use the restroom, he picked him up out of his wheelchair, took him and brought him back. The kids loved Kurtis. At the end of the evening, Brenda knew this was the man she was going to marry and spend the rest of her life with.

A year later, they were married and Kurtis adopted both of her children. Since then they have added two more kids.   

So what happened to Kurtis the stock boy and  Brenda the check-out girl?

Well, Mr. & Mrs. Kurt Warner now live in Arizona, where he is currently employed as the quarterback of the NFL Arizona Cardinals and has his Cardinals in the hunt for a possible championship in the Super Bowl. Is this a surprise ending or could  you have guessed that he was not an ordinary person?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Gabriel_Hurl

Great story ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There was a video story on NFL Sunday Countdown a few weeks back and it talked about Kurt Warner and showed all the work he does for charity.

Very moving.

It's impossible not to like the guy

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3814061

anportmorforjfc

Super Bowl is played on the east coast, where in 5 games, the Cardinals allowed 202 points... Steelers have given up 223 points in 16 games... in 3 of those games they were hammered 56 points by the Jets (Brett Favre's only good game of the season)48 points by the Eagles and 47 by the Patriots. Yes I know, that was then and this is know, just getting a point across that stats and numbers don't mean much.

Puckoon

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on January 28, 2009, 05:49:48 PM
Super Bowl is played on the east coast, where in 5 games, the Cardinals allowed 202 points... Steelers have given up 223 points in 16 games... in 3 of those games they were hammered 56 points by the Jets (Brett Favre's only good game of the season)48 points by the Eagles and 47 by the Patriots. Yes I know, that was then and this is know, just getting a point across that stats and numbers don't mean much.

Au Contraire, to the american sporting public - stats and numbers are everything. :D

magickingdom

tho i'll go with az and support the cardinals in the superbowl i see steelers owner dan rooney is tipped in todays papers to be next american ambassador to ireland! that should generate a few new irish fans

Minder

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 28, 2009, 05:01:12 PM
Great story ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There was a video story on NFL Sunday Countdown a few weeks back and it talked about Kurt Warner and showed all the work he does for charity.

Very moving.

It's impossible not to like the guy

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3814061

One of my favourite players, coming from stacking shelves, NFL Europe to being league MVP. I think he was Favres backup in GreenBay (or possibly 3rd stringer). That season he had in '99 with the Rams after Trent Green went down is pre season is one of the best you will see from a QB.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thejuice

As much as I like Steelers' brand of football ie smashmouth, especially the 70's team with Mean Joe and Jack Lambert, and Mike Tomlin's Steelers do play similar to that, I will still be supporting the Cards. Waiting a long time for it to come around. I havent the day off like last year. My plan is to stay in bed as long as possible, get up for the deferred coverage of Meath vs Cork and then after superbowl go to bed for a power nap and try do some work on monday
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on January 28, 2009, 05:49:48 PM

You have to remember that during the season they usually flew out the day before. They (Cards) have been in Tampa for a little over a weeks time when the game kicks off.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

the Deel Rover

Thats a great story about Kurt Warner really hope the cardinals do it on sunday. What odds are they to win it ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

the Deel Rover

Quote from: thejuice on January 22, 2009, 11:27:30 AM
Funny stuff, a bit stupid but not really malicous.

Got tickets for Buccs-Pats game next year. Think I'll be boo-ing both teams though. Division rivals or the Patsy's, who would you support like!

did any one else get tickets ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

The Real Laoislad

I know nothing about American Football and I just saw on Sky Sports the Superbowl thingy is on this weekend.
I like a bet so who should I be putting my money on or are there any good bets to be had for the game ?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Iceman

the cardinals -7 are worth a bet I would say.......
GSP in the UFC and the Cardinals Double this weekend - $12 bet pays $67
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

magickingdom

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 29, 2009, 10:12:41 AM
Thats a great story about Kurt Warner really hope the cardinals do it on sunday. What odds are they to win it ?

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 29, 2009, 05:57:55 PM
I know nothing about American Football and I just saw on Sky Sports the Superbowl thingy is on this weekend.
I like a bet so who should I be putting my money on or are there any good bets to be had for the game ?

in todays irish times the cardinals are 5-2 to win