American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 03, 2017, 12:19:27 AM
Jordan Hare is a big factor and when Johnson isn't right it's a big loss.

Two starting CBs got banged up today too. Remember Johnson himself was only the back-up RB so Auburn have been desperately unlucky at that position.

gawa316

So big decision between Buckeyes and Bama? Can USC force their way into the thinking?

AZOffaly

Quote from: gawa316 on December 03, 2017, 06:19:34 AM
So big decision between Buckeyes and Bama? Can USC force their way into the thinking?

USC are too far back I think but as regards Ohio State and Alabama, I think they have painted themselves into a corner. Last week they said there was very little between 5 and 8, and they also said they would significantly value conference championships.

So, given the fact that the first 3 all won their championships that leaves just one spot up for grabs. If there truly was very little between 5 & 8 then this weekend has killed Bama. They weren't playing so can't have improved. Auburn lost, so now they lost to a 3 loss (very good) team. Ohio State just beat the 4 team and won their conference.

Going by their own spake, Buckeyes have to be in.
Edit I should have said the other 3 champions are in, obviously auburn lost. Still just one slot open you'd imagine.

Oraisteach

Disappointed, but you can't get creamed by Iowa and not have it hurt.

Syferus

Amusing that Aubrn beat the shíte out of them but it's the Tide who survive to fight another day.

I think it's the right call in that Alabama were very impressive throughout the year and their only loss was away to their biggest rivals and perhaps the hottest team in college football at that moment. Ohio State's loss to Iowa was just too gaudy to recover from.

The state of Alabama's playoff streak continues. Incredible. A Tide team with weeks to prepare and let some of their defensive injuries to heal up will be a scary prospect for Clemson even before you think about the revenge element.

AZOffaly

Probably the right decision but it exposes the committee criteria for the nonsense they are.

And how on earth can they justify it based on what they said last week? They should just have said they think Alabama are better than ohio state last week and leave the bullshit out.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 03, 2017, 05:55:18 PM
Probably the right decision but it exposes the committee criteria for the nonsense they are.

And how on earth can they justify it based on what they said last week? They should just have said they think Alabama are better than ohio state last week and leave the bullshit out.

I'd say if OSU trashed Wisconsin they'd have been in. Struggling over them probably was the final nail in their coffin.

Muck Savage

They got in on their name only. This decision shows that strength of schedule means nothing

The Beat a No 9 Penn State (and the time No 2)
Beat No 6 Wisconsin (at the time No 4)
Lost to Oklahoma No 2 (at the time No 5)
And won a conf. championship
The thing that hurt them is the 31 point loss,

Alabama only played 1 team that ended up in the top 10, and lost.
Yes they beat 2 other teams that ended up in the top 25 and an overrated Florida State team that was ranked 3 at the time but didn't end up in the top 25.

The 31 point loss huts Ohio but I think the other wins are far more impressive than what Alabama have done.

Syferus

Quote from: Muck Savage on December 03, 2017, 07:49:21 PM
They got in on their name only. This decision shows that strength of schedule means nothing

Yes they beat 2 other teams that ended up in the top 25 and an overrated Florida State team that was ranked 3 at the time but didn't end up in the top 25.

The 31 point loss huts Ohio but I think the other wins are far more impressive than what Alabama have done.

There was only an eleven place difference in overall SOS between Alabama and OSU - 47th v 36th nationally. Some quarters invented a large gap there that never really existed if you looked closely. Coloured by Tide and SEC hate, to be frank. If we went on that metric USC were in because they were way ahead of either at 8th nationally.

Alabama's strength of record (how you fared nationally against your schedule) was actually higher than OSU's, 4th v 7th, so it wasn't on name that they got in over OSU, hardly a minnow themselves.

The committee rewards consistency and no one can deny that Alabama had no horrific performances that could compare to the Iowa game for OSU. Alabama where #1 in the nation for all but six days of the season in most polls.

gallsman

Really hoping Josh Gordon can have something approaching a good game in his first start in 3 years today. A catch for 9 yards on the first play from scrimmage not a bad start.

RealSpiritof98

49ers win, the Jimmy G era starts with a win and themself TDs #whocares

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on December 03, 2017, 08:18:33 PM
Quote from: Muck Savage on December 03, 2017, 07:49:21 PM

There was only an eleven place difference in overall SOS between Alabama and OSU - 47th v 36th nationally. Some quarters invented a large gap there that never really existed if you looked closely. Coloured by Tide and SEC hate, to be frank. If we went on that metric USC were in because they were way ahead of either at 8th nationally.

Alabama's strength of record (how you fared nationally against your schedule) was actually higher than OSU's, 4th v 7th, so it wasn't on name that they got in over OSU, hardly a minnow themselves.

The committee rewards consistency and no one can deny that Alabama had no horrific performances that could compare to the Iowa game for OSU. Alabama where #1 in the nation for all but six days of the season in most polls.

I dont really have a problem with punishing ohio state for that debacle v iowa but i have a problem with the lies and inconsistency. There is simply no way that they were 'very close' before a weekend that saw ohio staTE beat number 4 and win a championship AND saw the team that beat Alabama lose their third game away from home.

I think Bama would beat OSU so they got it right but I wish they'd stop the shite talk and contradopting themselves. At least the BCS computers never did that.

TabClear

I don't follow college football but could someone explain in a nutshell what the issue you guys are discussing here? Is it t to do with seeding teams?

Syferus

A committee of experts rank the top 25 teams in the nation, with the top four at the end of the season advancing to the semi-finals of the national championship. No one else has a shot at the national title now.

Capt Pat

Another win 14-9 for the vikings. This time on the road against the falcons. Xavier Rhodes held Julio Jones to 2 catches for 24 yards a week after Julio had 250 yards.

The vikings now just need one more win to secure the NFC north title after the Lions got beat by the Ravens.