American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on November 25, 2017, 11:51:52 PM
Would have been illegal forward anyway.

Congrats Syf.

Who's favourite now? (Assuming Bama don't still get in)

I think Bama might get in even though the shouldn't.  Winner of SEC will be in. Winner of ACC. Winner of big 12 if Oklahoma. And then it will be either unbeaten wis consin, 2 loss ohio state or non champion bama.

Syferus

Cheers, that was beautiful, not as dramatic as the Kick Six or the Cam year but it was so professional and balanced, both sides of this Auburn team are quaility. They did a Bama to Bama.

They should be able to beat Georgia again, but getting some healthy RBs is the biggest worry.

Auburn-Bama national title game? Imagine that..

gallsman

As I said, don't watch much College football but found that an enjoyable watch, if not a great game.

gallsman

Not that refs will change it given it's over but that was an illegal forward too :)

Oraisteach

Definitely the better team won, so our goose is cooked.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Oraisteach on November 25, 2017, 11:59:24 PM
Definitely the better team won, so our goose is cooked.

How about this madness? Ohio State beats Wisconsin to be a 2 loss champion.
Auburn beats Georgia to be a 2 loss champion.
Clemson loses tonight to South Carolina but beats Miami to be a 2 loss champion.
TCU beats Oklahoma to be a 2 loss champion.

What do they do then? 😀

Oraisteach

Dizzying, AZ!  If Auburn wins out, Clemson beats the Cocks and Miami, and TCU beats the Okies, OSU beats Wisconsin, what then?  Auburn of course, Bama, and Clemson, but who's the fourth?

Syferus

Denn Forever

I can't that happening after the Sigerson final.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Syferus on November 26, 2017, 05:50:45 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-5118593/Auburn-fans-completely-cover-field-Iron-Bowl-win.html

Wonderful scenes. The H&S heads at Croke Park need to take a hard look at themselves.

Fined $250,000 for this.  With a stadium capacity of 87,000 they just need to add $3 to each ticket to cover the fine.

gallsman

CJ Beathard got hurt with about a minute left so Garoppolo came on for debut. Scrambled for 5 or so on his first play and then went 2/2 and a score to finish the game.

AZOffaly

42 year old Phil Dawson kicked a 57 yarder to beat the jags and the Cards go to 5-6

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 27, 2017, 12:48:50 AM
42 year old Phil Dawson kicked a 57 yarder to beat the jags and the Cards go to 5-6

Some finish to that with the Gabbert pick and then the Jags giving it right back.

Syferus

Bills beating the Chiefs in Arrowhead the standout result this week. You have to doubt both the front office and Sean McDermott's credentials as a coach after last week's car crash. Taylor's an Alex Smith, a game manager who won't turn the ball over and can get a decent team over the line. But the Bills seem to think they need the next Aaron Rodgers, when it's more likely they're going to end up with the next Brady Quinn or RG3.

Edit: Wtf happened with the Vols and Sciano?! Incredible 180 in a matter of hours.

AZOffaly

Well, the Army-Navy game apart, we've reached the end of the College Football Regular Season. Hard to believe. Next weekend is a brilliant weekend as well, with the Conference Championships, and there's still quite a lot of pulling and shoving that can happen. The Conference state of play is as follows....

SEC Conference Championship Game - Atlanta - 9pm Saturday Irish Time
Auburn 10-2  v Georgia 11-1.

ACC Conference Championship Game - Charlotte 1am Saturday Night/Sunday Morning Irish Time
Clemson 11-1 v Miami 10-1

Big 10 Championship Game - Indianapolis 1am Saturday Night/Sunday Morning Irish Time
Ohio State 10-2 v Wisconsin 12-0

Pac 12 Championship Game - Santa Clara - Thursday Night/Friday Morning 1am Irish Time
Stanford 9-3 v USC 10-2

Big XII Championship Game - Jerry World - 5.30pm Saturday Irish Time
Oklahoma 11-1 v TCU 10-2

The Playoff Spots are still up for grabs and the potential for carnage exists if results go the wrong way. It's not inconceivable that 4 of power 5 conferences might have 2 loss (or worse!) conference champions if TCU, Ohio State and Auburn win. The ACC Champion will have 1 loss, and will be in. The SEC Champion will be in, regardless of Auburn's two losses to date, as to be honest they looked like a #1 team against both Georgia and Alabama. Both those games were in Jordan Hare though, so it will be interesting to see the rematch in Atlanta this weekend. After that though, it's up for grabs. If Oklahoma wins, they are in. If TCU wins, then it gets messy. Stanford or USC are both out anyway you would have think. The Big 10 is very interesting too. If Wisconsin wins, I cannot see them being left out. Undefeated Power 5 Conference Champion, even with a less than impressive schedule, has to be in surely. However, if Ohio State wins, then the cat will be among the pigeons. The elephant in the room (pun intended) is a 1 loss Alabama. Auburn made them look ordinary on Saturday, but will the committee take the injuries into consideration if they end up comparing them versus a 2 loss Ohio State for example?

If it were me, knowing the guideline about Conference Champions being a key differentiator barring an obvious disparity (which ironically the Committee used in Ohio State's favour last year) I think I would go ACC Champion, SEC Champion, Oklahoma and Wisconsin.
If Oklahoma Lose I would go ACC, SEC, Alabama, Wisconsin
If Wisconsin Lose I would go ACC, SEC, Oklahoma, Ohio State
If both Wisconsin and Oklahoma Lose I would go ACC, SEC, Alabama, Ohio State

The smaller conference championship games are
AAC Championship Game - Orlando - 5pm Saturday Irish Time
Memphis 10-1 v UCF 11-0

Conference USA Championship Game - Boca Raton - 5pm Saturday Irish Time
FAU 9-3 v North Texas 9-3

MAC Championship Game - Detroit - 5pm Saturday Irish Time
Akron 7-5 v Toledo 10-2

Mountain West Championship Game - Boise 12.30am Saturday Night/Sunday Morning Irish Time
Boise State 9-3 v Fresno State 9-3

Sun Belt Champiopnship Game - Arkansas 12.30am Saturday Night/Sunday Morning Irish Time
Troy 9-2 v Arkansas State 7-3