American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: declan85 on January 23, 2017, 08:46:53 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 23, 2017, 07:14:55 PM
Is paying top dollar in free agency, particularly on the defensive side, not generally shown to be a vastly more inefficient way of building a team?

You're right that its not the correct way to build a team but its a great way to finsh off a team and make a good team a contender such as Talib and Ware to Denver a few years back

Yeah I am not saying to build a team through it like Washington used to do , but to complement your drafting. Players are out there, Janoris Jenkins last year as well to the Giants. Key is to get them before they are on the downward slide

It gives the team depth too, something the Packers have zero of. 
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Puckoon

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2017, 02:05:18 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 22, 2017, 09:59:09 PM
Atlanta very impressive but there must have been some virus in the Green Bay camp this weekend. No other explanation for every last one of them being off colour.

Packers are a very average team who were carried by Rodgers brilliance. When his protection wasn't as good and he started to shit himself after getting a few hits as he always does it all fell apart. He was lucky he wasn't ejected for pulling the helmet off Alford by the facemask. He's a brilliant QB but no one can do it on their own.

Rodgers took multiple hits that I don't think many other quarterbacks would bounce back from. Saw no signs of him "shitting himself" in that game at all.

gallsman

Quote from: Minder on January 23, 2017, 08:55:52 PM
Quote from: declan85 on January 23, 2017, 08:46:53 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 23, 2017, 07:14:55 PM
Is paying top dollar in free agency, particularly on the defensive side, not generally shown to be a vastly more inefficient way of building a team?

You're right that its not the correct way to build a team but its a great way to finsh off a team and make a good team a contender such as Talib and Ware to Denver a few years back

Yeah I am not saying to build a team through it like Washington used to do , but to complement your drafting. Players are out there, Janoris Jenkins last year as well to the Giants. Key is to get them before they are on the downward slide

It gives the team depth too, something the Packers have zero of.

Seanie was talking about paying top dollar though. Bringing in reliable vets who are still elite is one thing, chucking a load of superstar money at the likes of Suh or Haynesworth and expecting to suddenly contend is another.

magpie seanie

Quote from: cadhlancian on January 23, 2017, 07:20:58 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2017, 10:17:10 AM
Did ya hear that some gobshite set off the alarm in the Steelers hotel at 3am, forcing an evacuation. He fled via a waiting car but was later arrested. Since Trumps election assholes everywhere are emboldened but this is typical Patriots cheating. Obviously no link to the team but the culture of cheating is clearly embraced by this supporter. Hopefully Atlanta can do it but it's looking bad.
ffs, wise up seany! Typical patriots cheating? Some clown does that , and that's what you come out with? You're usually a level headed poster. That's a ridiculous comment...

If the team he undoubtedly supports hadn't a significant recent history of cheating perhaps. 

stew

Quote from: Minder on January 23, 2017, 02:59:00 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2017, 02:05:18 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 22, 2017, 09:59:09 PM
Atlanta very impressive but there must have been some virus in the Green Bay camp this weekend. No other explanation for every last one of them being off colour.

Packers are a very average team who were carried by Rodgers brilliance. When his protection wasn't as good and he started to shit himself after getting a few hits as he always does it all fell apart. He was lucky he wasn't ejected for pulling the helmet off Alford by the facemask. He's a brilliant QB but no one can do it on their own.

Yeah good summation Seanie, Packers are average in a lot of areas and below average in some. Linebackers are atrocious and Clay Matthews isn't even close to giving value for money. With Joe Flacco or an ordinary Joe at QB this team would be lucky to win 6 games. A lot of that lies at the door of Ted Thompson, the GM, won't spend in free agency.

No matter how well Rodgers plays they will never win a Super Bowl with that D, saw a stat today that Rodgers has 3 playoff losses where the D has allowed 44 points. 

Tom Brady has *never* played on a team where a D has allowed 44 pts (267 starts).....

Obviously injuries hurt them, you had Gunter (undrafted in 2015) trying to cover Julio Jones, the bloodbath everyone expected happened

Thompson is notorious for not spending in free agency, he and the head coach are killing the Packers!

What Rodgers accomplished this year is remarkable given the injuries and horrendous lack of depth and talent.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Declan

Well who do our resident Football experts reckon will win this weekend? As a neutral I hope Atlanta do it

AZOffaly

I'm far from an expert, but sure I'll do my best. The Pats have made their name over many years, under Belichick, by taking away your best attacking option, and by making your offensive coordinator rely on things he doesn't like or isn't 100% comfortable with. With the Falcons, that is probably Julio Jones. The problem with that is you also have Sanu and Gabriel who have proven themselves very adequate receivers, and coupled with a very serviceable running game, and running backs catching quick outs and passes out of the backfield, the Falcons are better equipped than most to be able to function well if Jones is taken away. Therefore I think the Pats may be more ambitious, and try take the head of the snake, Matt Ryan. Ryan is no Rodgers in terms of escapability, but he is relatively mobile. However if the Pats can get quick pressure on Ryan, then the entire passing game might suffer. I'm not sure how Alex Mack will be, but he is the quarterback of the O-Line, as the centre, and if he is limited or even out, then the protection may well suffer, and that's the sort of thing that is grist to Belichick's mill.

I don't think the Patriots defensive backfield can hold up against all those receivers if the Falcons can protect Ryan, and with the balance the run game brings, I think that might be the key to the Falcons offense. The PAts are good against the Run, and while Freeman and Coleman are very good running backs, they are not absolutely elite level guys, so if you can negate or curtail the passing game, and make the Falcons run heavy, I think the Patriots D wins that battle.

On the other side of the ball, the Falcons Defense is improving, they are fast and they are aggressive, and they have a decent pass rush, especially with the young lad, Vic Beasley coming into the line. However it's hard to look past the fact that they were 28th in the league versus the pass, and 25th in total yards, and gave up the 6th most points per game. That's the sort of stuff that Brady licks his lips about. Now they improved dramatically in the last 6 or 7 games of the season, and the playoffs. They're getting pressure more now, which has certainly helped their backend stand up a bit better, but the suspicion there is that if the PAts can keep Brady upright, he will take advantage of that defense. Another variable is that Belichick has history in beating you with some lad you weren't expecting, so lads like LaGarret Blount might well end up with major roles. Don't be surprised if Kevin Hogan doesn't find the end zone, as Josh McDaniel may decide to focus on changing up the game film from the last day out.

All in all, it may be a battle of the offensive and defensive lines, as it often is. Keep these franchise quarterbacks off their arses, and they'll do damage. If that happens, I think the Falcons have more firepower and will win. However, I think the Patriots find a way to get pressure on Ryan, and therefore make the Falcons passing game much less of a factor, and so I will take the evil Galactic Empire to win one against the Birds.

Declan

Good man AZ -thanks for that

Billys Boots

QuoteI'm far from an expert, but ...

And you started so well!  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

magpie seanie

Can't disagree with any of that. Really want the Falcons to win but all logic points to the Patriots. Unfortunately.

stew

The Falcons have too much firepower and will w/o, this game by two touchdowns or more.

The Pats are beaten up and Brady will throw three picks or more.

TabClear

Quote from: stew on February 02, 2017, 01:03:35 AM
The Falcons have too much firepower and will w/o, this game by two touchdowns or more.

What is this prediction based on given he only threw 2 in 12 regular season games?I know he threw a couple in the playoffs and obviously any qb can have a bad game but it's not some super bowl virgin here.

I m predicting an Atlanta win with a big 3rd quarter  after a low scoring 1St half.

stew

Quote from: TabClear on February 02, 2017, 07:24:20 AM
Quote from: stew on February 02, 2017, 01:03:35 AM

What is this prediction based on given he only threw 2 in 12 regular season games?I know he threw a couple in the playoffs and obviously any qb can have a bad game but it's not some super bowl virgin here.

I m predicting an Atlanta win with a big 3rd quarter  after a low scoring 1St half.

Its based on the odds, he has been unreal however this D is primed and will get to him in the pocket, if the Pats are Behind he is prone to forcing the issue, I fear they will pick him off 3 times and that will be the difference.

AZOffaly

The Pats O-Line is very good though stew. Brady was only sacked 15 times in 12 games, a bit over 1 sack per game. Matt Ryan was sacked 37 times in 16 games in the regular season.

I mean, if it happens as you say, the Falcons get to Brady and the Patriots don't get to Ryan, then absolutely the Falcons will win, but I'm not sure I see that happening.