American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Johnny Manziel
‏@JManziel2 

No lie.. I was a douche in 2016 I'm just trying to be a good PERSON again#LostInTheSauce

Wonder will he get another chance?

magpie seanie

stew

Quote from: cadhlancian on January 20, 2017, 02:33:28 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2017, 02:47:12 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 19, 2017, 02:21:16 PM
Anyone here into the baseball?

Bonds and Clemens miss out on the Hall of Fame again due to their steroid issues, despite rumours that they'd make it this time.

Curt Schilling misses out because he is a loudmouth moron who said, among other things, that baseball journalists should be lynched!

Now I can't stand the guy, not because he is conservative, but because he is as dumb as a bag of hammers and spews ridiculous, incoherent, bigoted, inflammatory nonsense. That said, shouldn't it be his exploits ON the field by which he is judged in these things?

By all accounts he was one of the best play-off pitchers ever, outspoken against drug use as a player, and not in any way under suspicion for having corrupted the game itself. That he is a sorry excuse for a human being shouldn't come into it, especially given the checkered private lives of many already voted in.

If it were just what happened on the field of play, Pete Rose should be in. In Schilling's case, he may just not be hall of fame worthy, especially with all the other baggage.

As for Bonds and Clements, it's a hard one. I'm not a bit sorry for them, with their drug history, but I'm sure there's others in Cooperstown who are there with the help of a chemistry set or two. Maybe they should just build a wing for the 90s and 00s, and put a big Asterix beside all their names, and call it the 'Drug Years' wing. Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, Clements, A Rod and a pile more could be in there. Wouldn't be their first bust anyway.
so you don't have an opposition to Pudge Rodriquez getting in? A great catcher, named in Cansecos book and without a doubt a known steroid user. He gets in first ballot ??
Bonds was a better player....

The mere fact you mentioned hating Schilling,not because he was a conservative means you hated him because he is a conservative, it's at least part of the equation!

The man was nails in the playoffs, he is one of the best pitchers of all time and he honored the game in the way he conducted himself, what more do you need?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

Quote from: stew on January 20, 2017, 11:31:22 AM

Bonds and Clemens miss out on the Hall of Fame again due to their steroid issues, despite rumours that they'd make it this time.

Curt Schilling misses out because he is a loudmouth moron who said, among other things, that baseball journalists should be lynched!

Now I can't stand the guy, not because he is conservative, but because he is as dumb as a bag of hammers and spews ridiculous, incoherent, bigoted, inflammatory nonsense. That said, shouldn't it be his exploits ON the field by which he is judged in these things?

By all accounts he was one of the best play-off pitchers ever, outspoken against drug use as a player, and not in any way under suspicion for having corrupted the game itself. That he is a sorry excuse for a human being shouldn't come into it, especially given the checkered private lives of many already voted in.

If it were just what happened on the field of play, Pete Rose should be in. In Schilling's case, he may just not be hall of fame worthy, especially with all the other baggage.

As for Bonds and Clements, it's a hard one. I'm not a bit sorry for them, with their drug history, but I'm sure there's others in Cooperstown who are there with the help of a chemistry set or two. Maybe they should just build a wing for the 90s and 00s, and put a big Asterix beside all their names, and call it the 'Drug Years' wing. Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, Clements, A Rod and a pile more could be in there. Wouldn't be their first bust anyway.
so you don't have an opposition to Pudge Rodriquez getting in? A great catcher, named in Cansecos book and without a doubt a known steroid user. He gets in first ballot ??

The mere fact you mentioned hating Schilling,not because he was a conservative means you hated him because he is a conservative, it's at least part of the equation!

The man was nails in the playoffs, he is one of the best pitchers of all time and he honored the game in the way he conducted himself, what more do you need?

I don't dislike Schilling because he is a conservative.

I dislike Schilling because he comes out with false, inflammatory, hateful, half-baked, conspiratorial, moronic nonsense.

Unless you're saying that the views and statements of Schilling are typical, respectable positions for conservatives to hold?

stew

Quote from: J70 on January 20, 2017, 12:10:04 PM

I dislike Schilling because he comes out with false, inflammatory, hateful, half-baked, conspiratorial, moronic nonsense.

Unless you're saying that the views and statements of Schilling are typical, respectable positions for conservatives to hold?

Why being up his political views at all?

He really did not mean what he said about writers and if he had been a liberal you would have said exactly what I just said about him.

Schilling was otherworldly at times, he deserves the hall as one of the true greats regardless of his faith or political bent!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

Quote from: stew on January 20, 2017, 09:29:33 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 20, 2017, 12:10:04 PM

Why being up his political views at all?

He really did not mean what he said about writers and if he had been a liberal you would have said exactly what I just said about him.

Schilling was otherworldly at times, he deserves the hall as one of the true greats regardless of his faith or political bent!

What are you on about?

I said he's a complete gobshite but he deserves to be in the hall of fame.

My entire point is that the bollocks he posts about politics or whatever SHOULD be irrelevant. It clearly isn't.

Which is why I brought it up.

Although I would mention my views of Schilling in whatever context I was discussing him, because he is such a brainless, offensive, tool!

cadhlancian

J70, you say are saying that's why Bonds and Clemments won't get in ( steroids), yet Ivan Rodriguez gets in on the first ballot. He was a great player, but wasn't close to bonds or Clemmens imho

DrinkingHarp

Football Playoffs

NFC Champioship
Pack vs The Dirty Birds

Rodgers has been en fuego but now he cools off. The team has the flu running through the locker room, Jordy hurt, Davantae hurt, Geronimo hurt, WR playing RB and a very porous defense.

Atlanta has the number one scoring offense, two stud RB's, 1 excellent and three good WR's and a QB who will be the league MVP. On defense they will give Rodgers a beating especially Vic Beasley who led the league in sacks.

Prediction  ATL 31  GB 20
Take the Falcons -6 and the under 61.5

AFC Championship
Pats vs Steelers

Pats have the Golden Boy in Brady, Julian catching everything, Marty picking up the pace of Gronk, two very good RB's and an evil head coach who has sold his soul to the devil for ultimate play calling powers in the NFL and a defense that gets after the QB, and can stop the passing game. Pats lead this series 3-1 in the playoffs.

Steelers will rely heavily on Bell to carry the rock, Ben to hit Antonio as much as possible and avoid turnovers. The defense is not close to the Steel Curtain of old but is sufficient to help carry them to wins.

Prediction  NE 24  PIT 20
Take the Steelers +6 and the under 51

Best Parlay
ATL -6
ATL/GB under 61.5
Steelers +6

1st half Parlay
Atl -3
ATL/GB under 31
NE +3

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

J70

Quote from: cadhlancian on January 21, 2017, 02:37:42 AM
J70, you say are saying that's why Bonds and Clemments won't get in ( steroids), yet Ivan Rodriguez gets in on the first ballot. He was a great player, but wasn't close to bonds or Clemmens imho

Is the issue with steroids not that performance will be artificially/falsely improved?

screenexile

Serious half from the Falcons... Any chance for Rodgers??

Minder

Quote from: screenexile on January 22, 2017, 09:34:14 PM
Serious half from the Falcons... Any chance for Rodgers??

No. Falcons look unbeatable on this form, would fancy them to handle Steelers/Pats in Superbowl
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

Loving this. Aaron got sacked by a guy on the ground tipping his foot! Not over...only because the Packers have Rodgers but the fat lady is tuning up.

Minder

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 22, 2017, 09:45:24 PM
Loving this. Aaron got sacked by a guy on the ground tipping his foot! Not over...only because the Packers have Rodgers but the fat lady is tuning up.

Falcons have too many weapons, you would think they will score at least another two TDs

magpie seanie

Not helped there by receivers. Any score here and you'd say it's curtains.

Minder

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 22, 2017, 09:54:19 PM
Not helped there by receivers. Any score here and you'd say it's curtains.

There you go