American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Minder on January 12, 2017, 09:11:00 PM
Just another example of NFL greed, owners don't give a shit if fans come to the stadium, they still get their money.

LA Rams have appointed 30 year old Sean McVay as head coach

That's business!

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-diego-chargers-los-angeles-move-relocation-011217
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on January 12, 2017, 10:13:50 PM
Just another example of NFL greed, owners don't give a shit if fans come to the stadium, they still get their money.

That's business!

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-diego-chargers-los-angeles-move-relocation-011217

The things about NFL owners is they basically blackmail a city into paying for a new stadium, even though they are billion dollar franchises and can easily afford it. Raiders probably next to Las Vegas and who knows after that
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Clov on January 12, 2017, 06:58:41 PM
Three potentially close games this weekend and one probable blow out.

I'm going with:
Texans vs Patriots
Steelers vs Chiefs
Seahawks vs falcons
Packers vs Cowboys

The great Steve Young is calling for a surprise Super Bowl pairing of Pittsburgh and Atlanta. 

cadhlancian

Wouldn't rule out either Atlanta or Pittsburgh either, tbh , Houston for me is the only team that has zero chance. Any of the rest , playing their best could win it all.
Matt Ryan needs to step up on Saturday. If he wants to join the list of elite QBs he's going to have to deliver when it counts, won't be easy against Seattle.
I'm going for Seattle, NE , Dallas and Pittsburgh...

Clov

Quote from: Ball Hopper on January 13, 2017, 12:55:02 AM
Quote from: Clov on January 12, 2017, 06:58:41 PM
Three potentially close games this weekend and one probable blow out.

I'm going with:
Texans vs Patriots
Steelers vs Chiefs
Seahawks vs falcons
Packers vs Cowboys

The great Steve Young is calling for a surprise Super Bowl pairing of Pittsburgh and Atlanta.

Pittsburgh and Atlanta are probably the two most explosive offences left, so i'm not surprised that Steve Young is picking them. Texans and seahawks probably have the two best defences but their offences will see them unstuck sooner or later.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Minder

Quote from: cadhlancian on January 13, 2017, 03:27:13 AM
Wouldn't rule out either Atlanta or Pittsburgh either, tbh , Houston for me is the only team that has zero chance. Any of the rest , playing their best could win it all.
Matt Ryan needs to step up on Saturday. If he wants to join the list of elite QBs he's going to have to deliver when it counts, won't be easy against Seattle.
I'm going for Seattle, NE , Dallas and Pittsburgh...

Yeah you can make a strong case for any team to win other than Houston

gallsman

I don't think you can make the case for Seattle or KC to win it all. Seattle have been hurt too much by the Thomas injury.

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on January 13, 2017, 01:34:44 PM
I don't think you can make the case for Seattle or KC to win it all. Seattle have been hurt too much by the Thomas injury.

Yeah I mean just this weekend, think Nelson loss will be too much for Green Bay too.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Minder on January 13, 2017, 01:49:49 PM

Yeah I mean just this weekend, think Nelson loss will be too much for Green Bay too.

If Cobb is fully firing as he appeared to be last week I think they might be ok. There are a couple of other decent receivers to take some of the pressure off Adams and Cobb and the form Rodgers is in always gives them a chance. GB started the season stout against the run and they'll need to somewhat curtail Dallas' run game or they'll be toast. I just think the Cowboys have an inherent ability to mess up and may well do so at the weekend. Gut feeling the Packers do it.

Agree with the sentiments expressed on the other games. Texans aside, any of the others could advance. I personally think Seattle are too damaged on defence to do it. They'd probably win if it was in Seattle but I'm thinking not in Atlanta. The Falcons have to come through this time after flattering to deceive a couple of seasons ago. They'll give up points so need to keep scoring at the rate they have done most of the season.

Again - if the Steelers were at home I'd take them over the Chiefs but in Arrowhead I'm not so sure. The Chiefs defence has been inconsistent a lot of the year but I think they've got better recently (less guys out injured perhaps) and they're definitely good at home so Steelers will have their work cut out. Chiefs offence is underrated. Tyreek Hill gives them that extra threat that opens things up for Alex Smith to play his natural short/intermediate passing game with a few runs thrown in. Steelers are good though, especially on offence. Is Ben fit though? Mmm. Think I'm just going to call the Chiefs in this one.

Patriots by 20 in the other one.

stew

Quote from: Minder on January 12, 2017, 10:16:05 PM

That's business!

The things about NFL owners is they basically blackmail a city into paying for a new stadium, even though they are billion dollar franchises and can easily afford it. Raiders probably next to Las Vegas and who knows after that

The NFL is a disgusting entity from top to bottom, the owners are money whores to hold cities to ransom and get to feck off to wherever they want when they want to, there are a lot of people starting to tune it off, baseball is seeing a resurgence and to me is a far superior game, I have been at Lambeau loads of times, similarly  have been at Miller Park, home of the Brew crew, not one football experience came close to a day out at the ballpark.

The Packers are owned by the city of Green Bay, they used to play at East High School were my girls went to, the organization is very close to the community and vice versa, that gentlemen is rarefied air indeed.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Syferus

Baseball is total dross.

College ball better than the NFL.

tyroneman

Quote from: stew on January 13, 2017, 06:22:02 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 12, 2017, 10:16:05 PM

That's business!

The NFL is a disgusting entity from top to bottom, the owners are money whores to hold cities to ransom and get to feck off to wherever they want when they want to, there are a lot of people starting to tune it off, baseball is seeing a resurgence and to me is a far superior game, I have been at Lambeau loads of times, similarly  have been at Miller Park, home of the Brew crew, not one football experience came close to a day out at the ballpark.

The Packers are owned by the city of Green Bay, they used to play at East High School were my girls went to, the organization is very close to the community and vice versa, that gentlemen is rarefied air indeed.

Different strokes I guess but I've also been to both and found baseball dull as.....whereas the football days out from tailgating onwards were great fun

DrinkingHarp

Steelers Chiefs game moved from 1:05 ET to 8:20 ET due to massive ice storm moving into KC.

Best Bets
Green Bay    +5.5
GB/DAL over   52
ATL               -6.5

Chiefs/Steelers coin toss
Pats/Texans too much on the spread
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

gallsman

Ffs! Sunday evening ruined!

Gmac

we will see think both games could go either way