American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhail Prokhorov

back to the future was only one year out as well  ;D

Canalman

Congrats to them . Wrigley Field one of the 3 baseball grounds I have been to.

Fierce dull game to watch live, much better on the tv. TV doesn't reflect how fast the pitchers throw the ball.

oakleaflad

I would enjoy watching American football and could pass myself watching a game of basketball but baseball has to be one of the most boring things I have ever attempted to watch. I just can't see the appeal or how it is so popular, anyone care to try to explain it to me?

magpie seanie

I guess there will be some celebrations to join into. I'll see what I can do!!!!

Muck Savage

After overcoming a 1-3 Basketball lead in the finals Cleveland then lose a 3-1 in the Baseball!
Great to see the Cubbies win it although part of me wanted to see them lose as it's been the great sports heartbreak story.

AZOffaly

Quote from: oakleaflad on November 03, 2016, 09:35:21 PM
I would enjoy watching American football and could pass myself watching a game of basketball but baseball has to be one of the most boring things I have ever attempted to watch. I just can't see the appeal or how it is so popular, anyone care to try to explain it to me?

It's a completely different mindset. You have to get into the strategy of it, and the fact that every pitch is a contest in itself. All major league hitters can hit any pitch as long as they know what's coming, so the battle between pitcher and batter is unique in each case, and is fascinating when you understand it. Each pitcher has several (at major league level) pitches with various speeds and movements. Fastball, slider, curveball, changeup, even knuckleball. Each of these pitches gives a batter a different challenge, and they have to pick up what the pitch is, and react to it, in a fraction of a second. Then the hitter will have preferences, a pull hitter hits across his body like a hurler, and tends to be able to drive it a long way if he catches it flush. An opposite field hitter is able to hit the ball away from himself, a left handed hitter that can go opposite field will hit the ball to his left.

Then you have the field strategy about positioning of the infield, and the outfielders to play against pull hitters etc.

So a game of baseball is a series of strategic battles, and depending on the situation of the game (score, runners on base, etc) even the nature of those battles can change. With 27 outs required to win a game, you see an amount of them and if you appreciate what's going on, it's a very pleasant, mellow way to spend a few hours.

Oviously then you have the physical skills of the pitch, varying speed up to maybe 100 mph or more, making the ball move but still land in an area about 2-3 feet by 1 foot, from over 60 feet away. And then the ability to hit that ball, moving like that, and place it either opposite field, or try and hammer the bejaysus out of it.  And then the ability in the field to track a ball in the air, make a catch, throw it back in accurately to the correct place, or stop a bullet line drive hit at you in the infield. All pretty impressive when you see it up close.

Sometimes baseball gets a bad rap because players like David Ortiz don't exactly look like prime physical specimens, and he isn't, but there are a lot of athletic guys on the team, and some of the athletic feats, or technical proficiencies are very impressive.

And anyway, sitting down for 3 hours eating hot dogs and nachos, and drinking a beer. What's not to like? :)

gallsman

That's all well and good AZ but that doesn't necessarily make it enjoyable to watch. For all the talk of strategy etc, which i agree with, a chess match it ain't.

I follow it to an extent but could never watch a full game on TV. Live, with hot dogs and nachos and beer is different - you're not there just for the game, you're there for the whole experience. Same with tailgating parties at football games.

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on November 04, 2016, 11:54:20 AM
That's all well and good AZ but that doesn't necessarily make it enjoyable to watch. For all the talk of strategy etc, which i agree with, a chess match it ain't.

I follow it to an extent but could never watch a full game on TV. Live, with hot dogs and nachos and beer is different - you're not there just for the game, you're there for the whole experience. Same with tailgating parties at football games.

Of course it doesn't for some people. Taste is subjective after all. Some people prefer watching football to hurling, some people can't watch soccer at all. He asked me to explain what it is that makes it interesting for some people, and I did.

declan85

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 04, 2016, 11:33:35 AM

It's a completely different mindset. You have to get into the strategy of it, and the fact that every pitch is a contest in itself. All major league hitters can hit any pitch as long as they know what's coming, so the battle between pitcher and batter is unique in each case, and is fascinating when you understand it. Each pitcher has several (at major league level) pitches with various speeds and movements. Fastball, slider, curveball, changeup, even knuckleball. Each of these pitches gives a batter a different challenge, and they have to pick up what the pitch is, and react to it, in a fraction of a second. Then the hitter will have preferences, a pull hitter hits across his body like a hurler, and tends to be able to drive it a long way if he catches it flush. An opposite field hitter is able to hit the ball away from himself, a left handed hitter that can go opposite field will hit the ball to his left.

Then you have the field strategy about positioning of the infield, and the outfielders to play against pull hitters etc.

So a game of baseball is a series of strategic battles, and depending on the situation of the game (score, runners on base, etc) even the nature of those battles can change. With 27 outs required to win a game, you see an amount of them and if you appreciate what's going on, it's a very pleasant, mellow way to spend a few hours.

Oviously then you have the physical skills of the pitch, varying speed up to maybe 100 mph or more, making the ball move but still land in an area about 2-3 feet by 1 foot, from over 60 feet away. And then the ability to hit that ball, moving like that, and place it either opposite field, or try and hammer the bejaysus out of it.  And then the ability in the field to track a ball in the air, make a catch, throw it back in accurately to the correct place, or stop a bullet line drive hit at you in the infield. All pretty impressive when you see it up close.

Sometimes baseball gets a bad rap because players like David Ortiz don't exactly look like prime physical specimens, and he isn't, but there are a lot of athletic guys on the team, and some of the athletic feats, or technical proficiencies are very impressive.

And anyway, sitting down for 3 hours eating hot dogs and nachos, and drinking a beer. What's not to like? :)

Tullamore have a Softball team, ya might get yourself down there and do a bit of coaching...

Orior

Baseball is not a million miles from cricket. In between pitches would the commentators discuss apple tarts etc?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AZOffaly

Yeah, in fairness to gallsman, I always feel baseball is very well suited to radio. A good commentator just goes with the flow of the game, fills the time between innings etc with anecdotes or observations. Some of the best commentators in America are baseball. Vin Scully, the long time LA Dodgers commentator retired this year. A voice like velvet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4nwMDZYXTI

gallsman

Quote from: Orior on November 04, 2016, 01:42:52 PM

Baseball is not a million miles from cricket. In between pitches would the commentators discuss apple tarts etc?

No, they're either talking shite, flogging upcoming shows in the network or advertising.

They're not a million miles apart. Cricket has taken active steps with the introduction of T20 etc to make it more appealing to TV viewers though.

stew

It is a magnificent game, I absolutely love the tradition of baseball, it's rich history, the characters and most especially the incredible skill levels these guys have, I am a Red Sox and Brewers can, I can tell you the atmosphere at the games makes you so relaxed, it is sublime, sorry you don't like it, your loss.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Syferus

Auburn just squeaked past Vandy at home and White being out of a bit with an injury showed that despite not putting up stunning numbers his passing is the glue that give balance to what's now the top ranked offense in the SEC. With the Aggies losing Auburn now control their own fate - win out and they're going to Atlanta for the SEC title game and it's looking increasingly likely a two loss Auburn would take the fourth play-off spot..hopefully no mishaps in Athens next weekend and a blockbuster Iron Bowl is in store.

Some turnaround for the Tigers who were 1-3 to start the season but for a late snap by LSU at the end of that game.

Oraisteach

It will be an interesting scenario, Syf.  If Clemson and Washington win out, and either Michigan or OSU wins out, and Alabama finishes with one loss, it will be a tough decision for the committee.  But I'm sure some upset will unfog the situation.