American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Bears very poor this year Seanie, mind you injuries aren't helping them. Looks like Cutler is gonna get another chance with Hoyers broken arm.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

muppet

Quote from: Oraisteach on October 20, 2016, 09:16:24 PM
Thanks, Gabe.  Surprised that we did it with three starting pitchers out.  Would like to see the Cubs make it--two beleaguered teams.  People in Cleveland want Charlie Sheen "Wild Thing" from Major League to throw out the first pitch.

That would be great.  :D
MWWSI 2017

David McKeown

Saw a remarkable stat before last night's game that Rodgers had the worst completion percentage of any QB in the NFL (minimum 10 attempts) over the previous 16 regular season games.  Quite a long run of poor form from an exceptional player
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Tony Baloney

Digging Rodgers' cardigan at the press conference.  ;D

magpie seanie

Quote from: David McKeown on October 22, 2016, 12:12:39 AM
Saw a remarkable stat before last night's game that Rodgers had the worst completion percentage of any QB in the NFL (minimum 10 attempts) over the previous 16 regular season games.  Quite a long run of poor form from an exceptional player

Be careful, you're not allowed to criticise St Aaron around here!!! I got in big trouble for pointing out the start of this funk but to be fair I thought it was only temporary. Everyone's given it the "Rodgers is back" after Thursday but it was a case of eventually getting it done against a team with a beat up defence and no offence. As his fantasy owner in the GAAboard league I'm glad he chucked it almost 60 times but his YPA is still terrible. There's something not right. I honestly thought the return of Jordy Nelson would open up defences for him but it hasn't proved to be the case. I shouldn't be saying this and trying to trade him I suppose!!!

He was at his usual cribbing to the officials for flags too!

The Bears - I don't think they're as bad as their record suggests but you'd have to question the coaches, especially on offence. Injuries have stretched what I thought was a much improved defence but actually improved the offence. Losing Hoyer is one injury too many. Cutler at this stage is a downgrade on Hoyer so it'll be the usual inconsistency until he is booted out the door in January. John Fox has them playing hard but they don't have the talent.

Syferus

Auburn put a beating on an Arkansas team that had ran the likes of Ole Miss and Bama close and have won four on the bounce now after starting 1-2 and looking in severe trouble until the end of the LSU game. Still a serious schedule to come with Ole Miss in Oxford next weekend and Georgia in Athens next month for a rivalry game. If they could win out from here it would set up another blockbuster Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa to close out the regular season.. Saban has been getting the digs in early this year saying the Vols' match was the biggest match of the season for Bama. We'll see if that holds true in late November.

The Buckeyes' hype was showed to be unwarranted going up to unranked Penn State and losing, people were trying to make a case for them to be better than Bama up until this weekend. Still have a shot with Michigan still to come but any aura of invincibility is well and truly gone now.

AZOffaly

I wouldn't be surprised if Ohio State end up in the playoffs if they can beat Michigan and if they do they'll be dangerous
However all the usual suspects have looked dodgy apart from Bama. They are a machine. A final 4 of Washington, Ohio state or Michigan,  Alabama and Clemson say would be interesting though. If Auburn won the iron bowl it might throw the cat among the pigeons though.

gallsman

Couldn't sleep last night so got up and watched first half of Seahawks-Cards. My God it was awful. Highlights this morning enjoyable though.

Oraisteach

Syf, nobody that I know presented the Buckeyes as invincible.  In fact, with 12 players from last year's team drafted into the NFL, many thought they'd lose 2-3 games, being so young and green.  That said, I agree with AZ that if they run the table they still have a final four shot, but the Michigan game will be a high hurdle to surmount. 

The Iceman

Seattle: Arizona
I wouldn't recommend watching the entire game but I watched it live on TV last night and what a crazy game. First no touchdown tie game in 44 years!
Turnover after tournover, amazing defensive display by both teams, missed FG's...it was nuts
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Oraisteach

Also, flag after flag, Iceman

cadhlancian

Unfortunately, I watched it all:((
It was garbage, defense for both teams were decent, offensively both teams were pure dung...

gallsman

Is Osweiler the worst $70m ever spent?

There was one incident in last night's game that confused me. He appeared to throw an incomplete pass. A shite one but a pass nonetheless. The defender picked it up but, assuming it was incomplete like everyone else, didn't try to return it. Refs ruled it a fumble and gave Denver possession. He was throwing the ball forward, wasn't hit and the ball didn't come properly out of his hands but still went forward plenty. Why was it a fumble?

AZOffaly

Did it come out of his hand before he started the actual throw?

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 25, 2016, 08:41:31 AM
Did it come out of his hand before he started the actual throw?

I'd considered that but to my mind it came out as he was throwing forward. It wasn't at the end of his release the way you'd expect a normal throw to be but it wasn't on his back swing. Isn't there a role of thumb about a forward motion or similar?

Have a look here and see what you think:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/brock-osweiler-submits-bid-for-worst-fumble-of-the-2016-nfl-season/