American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Hey muck savage.  What is this craic about "Home of the faithful "? Tell them niners fans the home of the Faithful is Tullamore!

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 12, 2016, 10:07:18 AM
Quote from: cadhlancian on September 12, 2016, 05:13:15 AM
Patriots , different gravy! That's what sets them apart. On the road, a top 5 opponent , no Brady, Gronk, Solder or Minkovich.... The rest of the AFC East lost...

Not sure Cardinals are top 5. I'm very worried about that defense. They couldn't get the Pats off the field on 3rd down. Still missed a field goal to win it but they didn't really deserve a win the way the defense played. They've been lacklustre all pre-season, and all this talk about Superbowls is very premature.

Belichick is unreal though. I knew this would be a struggle as he had basically 2 weeks to prepare for the Cardinals, and he normally gets that sort of lead time spot on, a bit like Saban in Alabama. For the Cards, hopefully this is a wakeup call, and they up the workrate massively. Missed tackles would do your head in.
Cards certainly threw it away with the amount of 3rd downs they allowed NE complete, and in particular with giving away bad penalties at bad times, and still only a few inches away from winning it. I think they would beat that Patriots team 4 times out of 5. Very frustrating that they threw it away.

On the positive Fitzgerald was immense (again) and Johnson looks like he could be a star.

Muck Savage

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 13, 2016, 12:13:36 PM
Hey muck savage.  What is this craic about "Home of the faithful "? Tell them niners fans the home of the Faithful is Tullamore!

Its the Offaly influence here in Santa Clara, they watched a video of the '82 goal and said that it was a better finish than the Catch the same year.

cadhlancian

Quote from: Hound on September 14, 2016, 12:44:48 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 12, 2016, 10:07:18 AM
Quote from: cadhlancian on September 12, 2016, 05:13:15 AM
Patriots , different gravy! That's what sets them apart. On the road, a top 5 opponent , no Brady, Gronk, Solder or Minkovich.... The rest of the AFC East lost...

Not sure Cardinals are top 5. I'm very worried about that defense. They couldn't get the Pats off the field on 3rd down. Still missed a field goal to win it but they didn't really deserve a win the way the defense played. They've been lacklustre all pre-season, and all this talk about Superbowls is very premature.

Belichick is unreal though. I knew this would be a struggle as he had basically 2 weeks to prepare for the Cardinals, and he normally gets that sort of lead time spot on, a bit like Saban in Alabama. For the Cards, hopefully this is a wakeup call, and they up the workrate massively. Missed tackles would do your head in.
Cards certainly threw it away with the amount of 3rd downs they allowed NE complete, and in particular with giving away bad penalties at bad times, and still only a few inches away from winning it. I think they would beat that Patriots team 4 times out of 5. Very frustrating that they threw it away.

On the positive Fitzgerald was immense (again) and Johnson looks like he could be a star.
what game were you watching? The Patriots were simply better. Cardinals would win 4 out of 5 times? No harm, but that's an idiotic thing to say? LF played out of his skin in the second half to get them back in it, he'll be hard pressed to play as well again all season. Plus, Cantanzaro has never kicked a FG that long in his NFL career. 1 for 4 over 45 yards.
But sure keep on hating ...👍👍

AZOffaly

I agree the Patriots were better on the night. They did their little dink and dunk offense, that the Cardinals were pathetic at getting off the field. But I would disagree that Larry played out of his skin. Larry just did Larry things. The offense actually looked reasonable to good in the second half in general, but this loss is on the D in my opinion. I don't blame Catanzaro, but in the harsh world of NFL, you need your field goal kicker to make kicks like that. I bet Gostkowski would make it the other way. (I know the Pats missed a short one when the Cards beat them a couple of years ago).

The only thing I'm glad about is the Cardinals seem to be pissed off over it. Keim and Ariens both said it wasn't good enough. We'll see what the reaction will be. I'm not convinced by the Cardinals, and I'm wary of the hype around them. Another loss and that hype will evaporate pretty quickly.

And finally, can anyone be surprised that the Patriots overcome adversity? That's what they do! They don't win every game, or every championship, and on paper they are not the best team hardly any year. But they are winners, and they are extremely hard to beat, and if you think you can just stroll out there and beat them up, you're in for a rude awakening.

gallsman

Christ the Seattle offense is bad.

gawa316

AZOffaly

Much better by the Cardinals last night. They really got after Winston, even though they didn't have many sacks they were able to drop 7 into coverage and got several turnovers. More importantly though they actually tackled. The rookie Corner Williams was benched and Marcus Cooper, who was acquired in a trade last month for a 7th round pick in 2018, played instead. He got 2 INTs and made 7 tackles. He returned one of the INTs for a TD as well to kill the game. Looks like Williams will get some time to learn now, without being mercilessly picked on every day.

magpie seanie

Cutler is the Rooney of the NFL.

stew

Sat up to watch the Pacers Sunday night, to say that Rodgers and Nelson are nowhere near on the same page is an understatement to say the least, but that will come.

I think the pack will be alright and expect them to be 12-4 as long as Nelson gets back on track and the D improve as expected.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 20, 2016, 04:47:07 AM

He makes some shocking decisions at terrible times. Has all the tools physically, but he just picks terrible moments. That Carson Wentz lads looks the real deal.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 19, 2016, 11:23:42 AM
Much better by the Cardinals last night. They really got after Winston, even though they didn't have many sacks they were able to drop 7 into coverage and got several turnovers. More importantly though they actually tackled. The rookie Corner Williams was benched and Marcus Cooper, who was acquired in a trade last month for a 7th round pick in 2018, played instead. He got 2 INTs and made 7 tackles. He returned one of the INTs for a TD as well to kill the game. Looks like Williams will get some time to learn now, without being mercilessly picked on every day.
I know they mis-fired on 3rd downs v the Pats, but I'm not overly worried about the Defence. It was really stupid penalties that threw that game away, and that seemed to be cut out this week (although only got to see it on the Red Zone coverage).

It's great to see Larry continue to be brilliant. Floyd looks like he could have a hot year too, and the RB is just super. When was the last time Cards had a very good RB? A pity Palmer isnt 5 years yonger and 5% better! Don't see the Cards as Superbowl winners, but would be disappointed if they don't win the division.     

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 20, 2016, 04:47:07 AM

The only thing worse than being a Bears fan is watching the Bears right now. That O-line is pathetic!!
I was wearing my Bear's sweatshirt last night in the Packer's official hotel (Radisson on the Oneida Reservation) bar here in Green Bay and the worst the fans could give me was condolences for the team.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Oraisteach

Then, you know what it is to be a Browns fan too.

cadhlancian

Again, different gravy boys...