American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: screenexile on February 08, 2016, 12:20:28 AM
Has anybody been able to fathom a reason for MON being on the panel @ Levi Stadium???

It was certainly bizarre. I reckon Keane was too chicken to appear, cause he would end up saying something ridiculous.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

NAG1

Quote from: Orior on February 08, 2016, 11:00:10 AM
Quote from: screenexile on February 08, 2016, 12:20:28 AM
Has anybody been able to fathom a reason for MON being on the panel @ Levi Stadium???

It was certainly bizarre. I reckon Keane was too chicken to appear, cause he would end up saying something ridiculous.

It was a time filler, Chapman would know MON well through the BBC so him and Keane were likely in one of the boxes around them and he just grabbed MON. Was an interesting enough piece actually.

He wasnt on the panel, just a drop in.

gallsman

Quote from: Minder on February 08, 2016, 09:48:07 AM
I wonder what Syferus made of that Newton performance ?

He probably hasn't taken his hands away from his face yet.

After the chat about defence winning Super Bowls a couple of weeks ago too. First one I haven't watched in years but from highlights, was just a complete error-fest, although that might do the Denver D a disservice.

Von Miller is a great player. Wonder what he'd be like without all the drugs.

north_antrim_hound

Well done to Broncos and Peyton  manning
I say his stats will keep him as the best ever QB for a long time
QBs just can't get time in the pocket now compared to before
Defensive players are just To good now
Newton didn't use his pace and strength enough to get out of the pass rush zone
He took some abuse and couldn't mentally deal with it
Carolina didn't show enough respect to Broncos in this respect
Millar was outstanding and showed up on the big day
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Declan

QuoteVon Miller is a great player. Wonder what he'd be like without all the drugs.

Cathal Dennehy
‏@Cathal_Dennehy   Positive test, sample manipulation - worth noting that if Superbowl MVP Von Miller was an athlete, he'd have been banned for life long ago.

Amazing that in all of the commentary I listened to and watched on the game no mention of this or Peyton's little issue either. Complete hypocrisy

AZOffaly

The NFL doesn't give a shite about drugs. They are brutal that way. And it's a massive factor in those injuries as well. The players are bigger, and faster, and in some cases it's artificially so.

gallsman

Quote from: Declan on February 08, 2016, 02:18:38 PM
QuoteVon Miller is a great player. Wonder what he'd be like without all the drugs.

Cathal Dennehy
‏@Cathal_Dennehy   Positive test, sample manipulation - worth noting that if Superbowl MVP Von Miller was an athlete, he'd have been banned for life long ago.

Amazing that in all of the commentary I listened to and watched on the game no mention of this or Peyton's little issue either. Complete hypocrisy

The way they've turned a blind eye to Manning and the HGH is shocking. He and Nantz share an agent and when it first broke, dismissed it as a non story during the telecast, despite everybody appearing to accept the fact that his wife did indeed receive a shipment of the stuff. Laughable.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 08, 2016, 02:20:55 PM
The NFL doesn't give a shite about drugs. They are brutal that way. And it's a massive factor in those injuries as well. The players are bigger, and faster, and in some cases it's artificially so.

Even the logic is all over the place. The suggestion is that Manning was using the stuff to come back from the neck surgeries. I don't think too many people would begrudge athletes a any aid in recovering from injury, assuming you could put a transparent, fair system in place.

Instead, they just ban everything but have ridiculously ineffective testing processes and insufficient punishments.

FL/MAYO

I'm glad that I'm not a gambler, I would have put the house on Carolina last night, I thought it would have been a blow out, over in the first quarter. It was great to see the Broncos win.

Minder

Further evidence, if it was needed that "QB wins" and SB wins separate players is a nonsense, in my opinion.

Basically if Manning didn't get a second ring his career was a letdown, but now that he had the second ring his career is validated. Even though he was "just a guy" this time. It's too much of a team game, Manning knew the Denver D was so good he changed a passing play to a running play knowing he wasn't getting a first down, just to turn the ball over and let the D stop the Panthers. Can you imagine him thinking like that as a Colt?

He was very fortunate to find himself the QB of a team that has one of the best Defenses in NFL history.

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Muck Savage

There have been a number of these Defense dominated super bowls in the past could of years. And even though they don't have a lot of touchdowns they are very interesting tactical games. Manning had the 4th worst QB passing rating since '74, when the game was completely different. He looked like a disaster waiting to happen the whole game and lucky for Denver they were in front from the first score. Steve Young had said before the game that this SB gave a punter the best possibility of winning an MVP.
The game got to Cam, he was throwing rockets 2-3 foot over the WR's without a chance to catch them and I have no idea why he did't jump on the final recovery. Only thing I can think of is he thought one of his own guys had got it. Talib almost imploded at one stage with the amount of penalties he gave away.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Minder on February 08, 2016, 03:26:37 PM
Further evidence, if it was needed that "QB wins" and SB wins separate players is a nonsense, in my opinion.

Basically if Manning didn't get a second ring his career was a letdown, but now that he had the second ring his career is validated. Even though he was "just a guy" this time. It's too much of a team game, Manning knew the Denver D was so good he changed a passing play to a running play knowing he wasn't getting a first down, just to turn the ball over and let the D stop the Panthers. Can you imagine him thinking like that as a Colt?

He was very fortunate to find himself the QB of a team that has one of the best Defenses in NFL history.

+1

Blatant proof of how bullshit that is and how bullshit the supposed knock on Peyton was/is.

And JJ Watt should have got MVP last season!!!!!

StephenC

Defensive masterclass at the All Star game at the weekend  ;D

DrinkingHarp

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014